Vegetable Growing

Christmas Tree

pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is an allotment? you need permission to grow veg?

Basically it's a garden for people who can't afford one.

:lol: (at CT)

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having grown loads last year, I've just moved house and don't want to dig up what is essentially a nice garden, so I've just signed up for my local allotment. The waiting list ... 33 months.

Figure it'll be a nice thing for me and the bairn to do who'll be 2 by then (gulp)..

Having grown loads last year, I've just moved house and don't want to dig up what is essentially a nice garden, so I've just signed up for my local allotment. The waiting list ... 33 months.

Figure it'll be a nice thing for me and the bairn to do who'll be 2 by then (gulp)..

Cant you get away with a bit of patio growing? Some strawberries in hanging baskets, taties in a bin, tomatoes up a fance?

What veggies should I be planting in April??

These are the ones I have just sewn yesterday in a propagator. Will then transplant them into pots in the conservatory before planting out.

Im sure there are loads more you could plant depending on your tastes.

Bean Chereoke Trail of Tears

Cauliflower Romanesco Ottobrino

Lettuce Mix

Mange Tout Oregon Sugar Pod

Peas Climbing Telephone

Raddish Mixed Easter Egg

Sweet Peppers Yollo Wonder

Sweet Peppers Banana

Sweet Corn Dolce

Lettuce Iceberg Great Lakes 118

Lettuce Little Gem

Peas Petoi Pois Waverix

Tomatoes Tigerella

Which are the ones where I can just chuck the seeds into the soil without too much aggro??

Guest Barrack Road

When I was a kid one of the highlights of the year for me fatha was the local social club leek show. Funny looking back, a thousand people would come out to look a fuckin leeks. "Them's is gooduns", everyone seemed to turn in to Percy fuckin Thrower for a night. The politics involved was unreal too, leak scandals and vote riggings and ratings seemed to be an annual thing. I remember the prize money was tremendous too. Still if you're under 35 growing leeks in 2010 have a word!

What veggies should I be planting in April??

These are the ones I have just sewn yesterday in a propagator. Will then transplant them into pots in the conservatory before planting out.

Im sure there are loads more you could plant depending on your tastes.

Bean Chereoke Trail of Tears

Cauliflower Romanesco Ottobrino

Lettuce Mix

Mange Tout Oregon Sugar Pod

Peas Climbing Telephone

Raddish Mixed Easter Egg

Sweet Peppers Yollo Wonder

Sweet Peppers Banana

Sweet Corn Dolce

Lettuce Iceberg Great Lakes 118

Lettuce Little Gem

Peas Petoi Pois Waverix

Tomatoes Tigerella

Which are the ones where I can just chuck the seeds into the soil without too much aggro??

Lazy fucker :lol:

Someone better qualified than me will tell you but basically I think you can do it with most of them. The downside is you have to wait till the soil is warmer.

By starting them in an Asda £2 propagator I can basically "enjoy" the hobby now while we are still getting frosts and the plants will have a good head start when they do go in.

When I was a kid one of the highlights of the year for me fatha was the local social club leek show. Funny looking back, a thousand people would come out to look a fuckin leeks. "Them's is gooduns", everyone seemed to turn in to Percy fuckin Thrower for a night. The politics involved was unreal too, leak scandals and vote riggings and ratings seemed to be an annual thing. I remember the prize money was tremendous too. Still if you're under 35 growing leeks in 2010 have a word!

I know this is still very serious business on our allotment site and when it gets near show time some of them camp out to deter any shenanigans :lol:

You should look into is Steven, perhaps start a seed bank. :lol:

Guest Barrack Road

I know this is still very serious business on our allotment site and when it gets near show time some of them camp out to deter any shenanigans :lol:

You're taking the piss? :blush::jonas: :jonas: :jonas: :jonas:

Cant you get away with a bit of patio growing? Some strawberries in hanging baskets, taties in a bin, tomatoes up a fance?

That's my plan in the meantime, but you're never going to get much of a crop that way.

Thankfully by the time I get my allotment I'll be just about 35 and therefore achieve Stevie approval!!

You're taking the piss? :blush::jonas: :jonas: :jonas: :jonas:

Definitely not. Its well known that quite a bit of sabotage takes place as the shows get nearer.

Go round any allotment late at night in summer and the "dads army" will be on patrol!!!

Just a word of advice to all.

Ok, so in your 20's or early 30's, the idea of an allotment might seem shall we say dull. However as you get older, get married, kids come along, you might suddenly decide that it would be a great idea.

Grow some organic veg and fruit, keep a few chickens and some rabbits for the bairns to play with......etc etc etc

Anyway, a lot of councils have a 5 to 15 year waiting list so log on to your council NOW, apply online and then in years to come when you are ready you will be top of the list.

Go on. its FREE and takes 3 minutes to apply.

pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is an allotment? you need permission to grow veg?

An allotment is an "allotment" of land alloted :lol: to the working man. The land is usually owned by the local council or the church.

Allotment gardens are characterised by a concentration in one place of a few or up to several hundreds of land parcels that are assigned to individuals or families. In allotment gardens, the parcels are cultivated individually, contrary to other community garden types where the entire area is tended collectively by a group of people.[1] The individual size of a parcel ranges between 50 and 400 square meters, and often the plots include a shed for tools and shelter. The individual gardeners are organised in an allotment association which leases the land from the owner who may be a public, private or ecclesiastical entity, provided that it is only used for gardening (i.e. growing vegetables, fruits and flowers), but not for residential purposes. The gardeners have to pay a small membership fee to the association, and have to abide by the corresponding constitution and by-laws. However, the membership entitles them to certain democratic rights

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allotment_(gardening)

gotcha! cheers, a public garden.

Ok, so in your 20's or early 30's, the idea of an allotment might seem shall we say dull. However as you get older, get married, kids come along, you might suddenly decide that it would be a great idea.

Grow some organic veg and fruit, keep a few chickens and some rabbits for the bairns to play with......etc etc etc

Anyway, a lot of councils have a 5 to 15 year waiting list so log on to your council NOW, apply online and then in years to come when you are ready you will be top of the list.

An allotment is an "allotment" of land alloted :lol: to the working man. The land is usually owned by the local council or the church.

Allotment gardens are characterised by a concentration in one place of a few or up to several hundreds of land parcels that are assigned to individuals or families. In allotment gardens, the parcels are cultivated individually, contrary to other community garden types where the entire area is tended collectively by a group of people.[1] The individual size of a parcel ranges between 50 and 400 square meters, and often the plots include a shed for tools and shelter. The individual gardeners are organised in an allotment association which leases the land from the owner who may be a public, private or ecclesiastical entity, provided that it is only used for gardening (i.e. growing vegetables, fruits and flowers), but not for residential purposes. The gardeners have to pay a small membership fee to the association, and have to abide by the corresponding constitution and by-laws. However, the membership entitles them to certain democratic rights

Do you not have similar things wherever your from?

Cheers for the link CT, I need to get my finger out as well but dreading going back to my allotment, will no doubt look like yours.

Just been down to mine to pick up 11 eggs :blush: and feed the rabbits. Took some more photos cos its moved on a bit in the last few weeks.

Now have raised beds layed out all over, a diy polytunnel getting built, a window in the shed, a bench to sit on and that big patch of mud next to the polytunnel will be a lawn with a few fruit tress, a swing, a slide , a barby and a drinking den in the summer. :lol:

allotmentmarch006.jpg

allotmentmarch005.jpg

allotmentmarch004.jpg

allotmentmarch003.jpg

allotmentmarch002.jpg

allotmentmarch001.jpg

allotmentmarch007.jpg

Do you not have similar things wherever your from?

in cities yes, but I live in a ridiculously large country there is lots of room to have a garden if you want, no need to ask.

this type of thing is gaining momentum in most of the urban centers across canada though, people are taking derelict/empty lots across cities and putting in community gardens where you can trade with other "farmers", but again not where I live (southern interior BC)

Looks spot on that mind CT, you've been busy. I've only got about half a garden and all mine is sectioned off into 8 x 4 bays so it usually only takes a day or two solid to get it back into shape.

Aye, its getting round to that day or two when its minus 10 :lol::blush:

Looks spot on that mind CT, you've been busy. I've only got about half a garden and all mine is sectioned off into 8 x 4 bays so it usually only takes a day or two solid to get it back into shape.

Aye, its getting round to that day or two when its minus 10 :lol::blush:

I cleared mine at the end of October, locked the gate and Haven't been back, dreading going now like. :jonas:

I would advise anybody with access to growing land to start utilising it...Food prices will continue increasing. Stuff you grow yourself is infinitely better for you.

Aye that's what my David Icke book says.

I would advise anybody with access to growing land to start utilising it...Food prices will continue increasing. Stuff you grow yourself is infinitely better for you.

Aye that's what my David Icke book says.

I spose you could snack on yer geeetar. :lol: