Vegetable Growing

Christmas Tree

piece of piss

only if you feed em beans :lol:

nah the chicks are quiet

go for it.

More worried about the smell drifting into neighbours gardens?

just keep plenty of straw down, rake/sweep it out every week. nay bother. you, and the bairns, will love them.

feed them all your veggie scraps, peelings etc.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't bother with spuds btw, pain in the arse and cheap as fuck to buy anyway.

too heavy to carry home, and taste a lot better straight out the ground you fucking heathen. :finger:

This! :lol:

I grew veg when I was living in Northumberland.

Spuds, courgettes, rocket, carrots... nothing tricky but it was good fun and tasted great. :aye:

Good luck. :nufc:

too heavy to carry home, and taste a lot better straight out the ground you fucking heathen. :finger:

Spuds, courgettes, rocket, carrots... nothing tricky but it was good fun and tasted great. :finger:

Good luck. :nufc:

I heard a rumour you grew your own. Those Camberwell carrots taste great :aye:

Dont suppose anyone has any experience of keeping chickens to share.

Are the hard work?

Do they stink?

Will they make a racket?

chicken.gif

rs709s.jpg

When I lived in the UK I was advised against keeping chickens because they attract rats. No idea whether that's true or not.

too heavy to carry home, and taste a lot better straight out the ground you fucking heathen. :P

Spuds, courgettes, rocket, carrots... nothing tricky but it was good fun and tasted great. :scratchchin:

Good luck. :aye:

I heard a rumour you grew your own. Those Camberwell carrots taste great :finger:

B) ...all a long time ago now though. I imagine you weren't unfamiliar yourself..... :finger:

As it happens I used to live in Camberwell. I lived two doors away from Jenny Agutter. I once spoke to her as I washed my car wearing my grandad collar Newcastle top and all the time I was thinking, I've got a video in my room of you with your tits out. :nufc:

(American Werewolf in London, not the one I tried to take from my roof...)

• 1 month later...

Just a word of advice to all.

Ok, so in your 20's or early 30's, the idea of an allotment might seem shall we say dull. However as you get older, get married, kids come along, you might suddenly decide that it would be a great idea.

Grow some organic veg and fruit, keep a few chickens and some rabbits for the bairns to play with......etc etc etc

Anyway, a lot of councils have a 5 to 15 year waiting list so log on to your council NOW, apply online and then in years to come when you are ready you will be top of the list.

Go on. its FREE and takes 3 minutes to apply.

The tomatoes coming out of my garden are seemingly endless and easily the most delicious I have ever had.

Beetroot was great too. Spuds canny and looking forward to the pumpkin.

I concur like CT, it is good for the soul. I literally just sewed a few seeds and planted them out when I got round to it. A few beer traps when the slugs got naughty but apart from that and the odd bit of watering, it's piece of pish.

Edited by trophyshy

i've had shit loads of toms and about 7 cucembers, loads of peppers and strawberries, just replanted my strawberry runners for next year, 30 of the bastards!!!! hope half come through the winter ok

like Mr Tree says do it!! my back yard was taken over this year by loads of pots, great fun!!!

i've had shit loads of toms and about 7 cucembers, loads of peppers and strawberries, just replanted my strawberry runners for next year, 30 of the bastards!!!! hope half come through the winter ok

like Mr Tree says do it!! my back yard was taken over this year by loads of pots, great fun!!!

Get a bit of straw on them for protection

• 5 months later...

Well its that time of the year again and my new batch of seeds have just arrived and are germinating as I type. My choice this year is;

Bean Chereoke Trail of Tears

Beetroot Albino White

Broccoli Purple Sprouting

Cabbage Savoy Perfection

Cauliflower Romanesco Ottobrino

Carrots Royal Chantenay

Courgettes Bianca de Trieste

Cucumbers Marketmore 76

Lettuce Mix

Mange Tout Oregon Sugar Pod

Peas Climbing Telephone

Raddish Mixed Easter Egg

Sweet Peppers Yollo Wonder

Sweet Peppers Banana

Sweet Corn Dolce

Carrots Cosmic Purple

Courgettes Zuchini Yellow

Cucumbers Crystal Lemon

Lettuce Iceberg Great Lakes 118

Lettuce Little Gem

Peas Petoi Pois Waverix

Tomatoes Tigerella

Have found a cracking supplier on Ebay whose prices are amazing and he lists some very good vatieties. Delivers in 2-3 days. This year we are trying some of the more unusual stuff that you wont find in the supermarket.

Purple Carrots

carrot_atomic_red.jpg

Crystal Lemon Cucumbers

CUCUMBER%20Crystal%20Apple.jpg

Tigerella Tomatoes

tigerella_tom_LG.jpg

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Premier-Seed...634Q2ec0Q2em322

Also looking to get some 1 year old Asparagus crowns in the ground. Reccomended a variety called Connovers Colossal.

Also asda are selling chitting potatoes now so got a bag of Marus Pipers and a bag of Juilienne.

Finally a couple of Giant Sunflowers for the nipper.

Ok, so in your 20's or early 30's, the idea of an allotment might seem shall we say dull. However as you get older, get married, kids come along, you might suddenly decide that it would be a great idea.

Grow some organic veg and fruit, keep a few chickens and some rabbits for the bairns to play with......etc etc etc

Anyway, a lot of councils have a 5 to 15 year waiting list so log on to your council NOW, apply online and then in years to come when you are ready you will be top of the list.

pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is an allotment? you need permission to grow veg?

pardon my ignorance, but what the heck is an allotment? you need permission to grow veg?

An allotment is an "allotment" of land alloted :lol: to the working man. The land is usually owned by the local council or the church.

Allotment gardens are characterised by a concentration in one place of a few or up to several hundreds of land parcels that are assigned to individuals or families. In allotment gardens, the parcels are cultivated individually, contrary to other community garden types where the entire area is tended collectively by a group of people.[1] The individual size of a parcel ranges between 50 and 400 square meters, and often the plots include a shed for tools and shelter. The individual gardeners are organised in an allotment association which leases the land from the owner who may be a public, private or ecclesiastical entity, provided that it is only used for gardening (i.e. growing vegetables, fruits and flowers), but not for residential purposes. The gardeners have to pay a small membership fee to the association, and have to abide by the corresponding constitution and by-laws. However, the membership entitles them to certain democratic rights

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allotment_(gardening)

CT, good work mate. Been meaning to buy seeds for ages and this has just sorted me out.

This will be my first proper year and Im really looking forward to getting stuck in. I dug up the back lawn and then got an allotment towards the end of summer so the winter has really seen us trying to get the place in shape ready for spring. (And four eggs a day from the chickens :lol: )

Going to post a few pics

As you will see the place was in quite a state when we got it and the firs priority was getting rid of the rubble and weeds. In the last few weeks we have got some raised beds in and are intending to have a lawned area for the kids to play and have some barbecues.

Although it looks a mess, the site is in a gorgeous position and is bordered by some lovely big trees etc

We were lucy enough to have a greenhouse already there and a shed that we managed to salvage. We are also making a diy polytunnel out of scaffolding poles and Blue water pipe to grow lots of peppers, courgettes, Grapes etc.

Down there tomorrow so I will add some of the "after pics".

allotment041.jpg

allotment038.jpg

allotment037.jpg

allotment028.jpg

allotment024.jpg

allotment022.jpg

allotment018.jpg

allotment016.jpg

allotment010.jpg

allotment007.jpg

allotment002.jpg

After doing a Horticulture diploma this has always been an interest of mine that iv not fulfilled...yet!

Good on you CT!

Bit of advice too from what i learned...

In the winter when you are prepping your soil turn over a good amount of blood and bone into the soil aswell as any other organic matter...leaves, potato peel and so on...it all adds to the soil being nutrient rich and in turn will result is more growth and more taste.

Would be an idea too CT to build your own compost heap...keep turning it, adding to it, watering and covering with sheeting and in two years you will have the perfect compost for growing your veggies!!

Soil prep is so important for a good crop.

:lol:

Edited by Geordie Lad...

After doing a Horticulture diploma this has always been an interest of mine that iv not fulfilled...yet!

Good on you CT!

Bit of advice too from what i learned...

In the winter when you are prepping your soil turn over a good amount of blood and bone into the soil aswell as any other organic matter...leaves, potato peel and so on...it all adds to the soil being nutrient rich and in turn will result is more growth and more taste.

Would be an idea too CT to build your own compost heap...keep turning it, adding to it, watering and covering with sheeting and in two years you will have the perfect compost for growing your veggies!!

Soil prep is so important for a good crop.

:lol:

Cheers for that. Most of what I've read says the same.....Its all about soil prep.

As for an unfulfilled interest, take my advice and get your name on the local waiting list now if you havent already done so.

What veggies should I be planting in April??

These are the ones I have just sewn yesterday in a propagator. Will then transplant them into pots in the conservatory before planting out.

Im sure there are loads more you could plant depending on your tastes.

Bean Chereoke Trail of Tears

Cauliflower Romanesco Ottobrino

Lettuce Mix

Mange Tout Oregon Sugar Pod

Peas Climbing Telephone

Raddish Mixed Easter Egg

Sweet Peppers Yollo Wonder

Sweet Peppers Banana

Sweet Corn Dolce

Lettuce Iceberg Great Lakes 118

Lettuce Little Gem

Peas Petoi Pois Waverix