Vegetable Growing

Christmas Tree

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and the like have a lot to answer for!

hugh2.jpg

After watching loads of river cottage I've finally decided to have a go at growing some "stuff". (I am sure most on here are into gaming etc but there may be one or two green fingered types).

First, take one half of a perfectly ok garden and rip the fucker to shreds.

garden2.jpg

Then keep on ripping it up (before the wife gets home).

garden1l.jpg

Then get a load of wood delivered, get out the saw, drill and screwdriver and make the first raised bed.

garden4e.jpg

Footnote:

Yes the path does need weeding

No my daughter was not been made to pose whilst desperate for the netty.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm supposed to be doing my own herbs sooner or later but that doesn't involved any digging, just pots and a kind of mini greenhouse.

did you do this a few months ago?

I'm having a first crack like, not raised beds, just dug over a corner of the lawn.

Onion, pumpkin and courgette going well. Carrots and brocolli never came up. Tomatoes in a trough and bags and loads of spuds in a side bed. Seem to be growing a bizarre coriander tree too.

It is strangely satisfying to watch them come along.

did you do this a few months ago?

I'm having a first crack like, not raised beds, just dug over a corner of the lawn.

Onion, pumpkin and courgette going well. Carrots and brocolli never came up. Tomatoes in a trough and bags and loads of spuds in a side bed. Seem to be growing a bizarre coriander tree too.

It is strangely satisfying to watch them come along.

Nope, started 24 hours ago. went to a mates house who has a tiny garden and has allsorts growing from peepers to corn on the cob to strawberries etc and was pretty much hooked straight away.

He lent me a great book to read called "the vegetable and herb expert"

9780903505468.jpg

which retails on ebay for about £4.00. It is excellent and lists every vegetable on a page and details when to sow, when to reap and lots of other good stuff.

Not really sure what im going to grow, however i will be tied by what can be sown at this time of year. Hoping that its going to look something like this, very soon.

IMG_6220.JPG

They do reckon theres a lot of trial and error involved.

i have cucumbers, strawberries, broadbeans, red cabbage, sprouts and toms all growing in the yard

pics may follow

i have cucumbers, strawberries, broadbeans, red cabbage, sprouts and toms all growing in the yard

pics may follow

Would love to see the pics. Is it right that you can grow strawberries out of hanging baskets.

I'm supposed to be doing my own herbs sooner or later but that doesn't involved any digging, just pots and a kind of mini greenhouse.

Thing is if you enjoy it.........sprouts, lettuce, garlic etc etc

Yeah we'll see how it goes!

Gonna grow mint and corriander first, to make my own mint sauce :lol:

pics may follow

Would love to see the pics. Is it right that you can grow strawberries out of hanging baskets.

yeah you can get trailing ones, took my first ripe ones off tonight, just need some cream now!!

CT - not been doing it very long but my advice would be to think in advance about how you use the space and how big stuff grows. Sprouts and broccoli for instance need quite a bit of room and your veg won't do well if it's too cramped in. We grow our veg in raised beds and we started off growing loads of stuff but it was too much for the space really. You live and learn. Next time around we'll probaby just focus on the stuff we use a lot like carrots, leeks, onions etc.

Guest alex
Don't bother with spuds btw, pain in the arse and cheap as fuck to buy anyway.

Root crops ftw. :lol:

Uncle Monty :razz:

Red onions, beetroot, baby leeks, carrots, french beans, sweetcorn, tomatoes, coriander, rosemary, basil and mint all growing pretty well in my garden.. I've got an olive tree as well, but I'll be dead by the time that bears fruit.

Got my first harvest of leeks and beets the other night - pretty tasty..

I am a bit hooked now like.

CT - I think you've left it a bit late to be putting stuff in the ground.

Red onions, beetroot, baby leeks, carrots, french beans, sweetcorn, tomatoes, coriander, rosemary, basil and mint all growing pretty well in my garden.. I've got an olive tree as well, but I'll be dead by the time that bears fruit.

havent got round to that bit yet but i do know its time to plant turnips!!!

Root crops ftw. :lol:

I bet you've nothing more than a pot of basil dying on the windowsill Mr P :razz:

too heavy to carry home, and taste a lot better straight out the ground you fucking heathen. :lol:

Edited by trophyshy

Is that right, I'll look in to that I'm sure I can make room.

Is that right, I'll look in to that I'm sure I can make room.

oooh. I love a nice Swede.

• 4 weeks later...