Martins sold

Kid Dynamite

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what does this mean then because surely if the club is for sale there would be no transfers??

Why? Because Llambias said so? I don't see how the sale or non-sale has much bearing on it because either way there's absolutely no way you could afford his wages in the Championship, especially when he's shit most of the time (well, he's injured most of the time but you know what I mean).

Edited by alex

Shame the money will go straight into Ashley's personal pie fund and not into our transfer kitty though...

I don't think the money will be going straight to Ashley. If it's retained within the business it will likely be used by the club as working capital or to reduce the overdraft. If Ashley takes it himself then the asking price for the club will have to be reduced by £9m to reflect this, the buyers aren't stupid, if you take a £9m asset out of the business then they won't be prepared to pay the same money as they were previously.

Shame the money will go nowhere but Ashley's pocket.

That's the problem at the moment, at best it will go towards bringing the cost of the debt he's trying to sell down, but more likely it will just disappear al la the Milner £££'s.

So what does this mean then because surely if the club is for sale there would be no transfers??

Why? Because Llambias said so? I don't see how the sale or non-sale has much bearing on it because either way there's absolutely no way you could afford his wages in the Championship, especially when he's shit most of the time (well, he's injured most of the time but you know what I mean).

He'd probably be a lot better in the Championship (if not injured) though, well not actually better, but it would seem like it.

If we're left with Alan Smith and Shola as our Championship strike force, it's still going to be hideously expensive and :). <_<:icon_lol:

Shame the money will go nowhere but Ashley's pocket.

That's the problem at the moment, at best it will go towards bringing the cost of the debt he's trying to sell down, but more likely it will just disappear al la the Milner £££'s.

I would love someone to explain to me how you can remove £9m from a company that is deeply in the shit and has a rumoured £40m overdraft???

He'd probably be a lot better in the Championship (if not injured) though, well not actually better, but it would seem like it.

If we're left with Alan Smith and Shola as our Championship strike force, it's still going to be hideously expensive and :). <_<:icon_lol:

Realistically he was never going to stay once a half-decent offer came in though was he?

If we're left with Alan Smith and Shola as our Championship strike force, it's still going to be hideously expensive and :). :icon_lol::blush:

Realistically he was never going to stay once a half-decent offer came in though was he?

Aye, same will be the case with all our decent players, we'll be left with the dross and the stupidly overpaid dross.

If we retained players like Martins the chance of our going back up were much greater. :icon_lol:

The annoying thing will be that what is left of the squad (if we now are in fire sale mode) will be rubbish (probably rubbish enough to not get back up even with stability), but rubbish that may still be expensive enough to bring administration on. :)<_<

I assume the transfer embargo only applies to players coming in :) That's 3 strikers down on last season now (which I think a lot of us suspected would be the case anyway).

I assume the transfer embargo only applies to players coming in :) That's 3 strikers down on last season now (which I think a lot of us suspected would be the case anyway).

I don't think any exodus will be met with anything but resigned apathy

Bad things happen when you get relegated. Who knew??!!

Worse things to come. :icon_lol:

A few seasons in the Championship and we'll be perfectly placed to win League 1.

A Championship assault with a squad of 5 midfielders 5 defenders and 1 goalkeeper. <_< (genuinely can see Assley doing that)

Worse things to come. :blush:

A few seasons in the Championship and we'll be perfectly placed to win League 1.

I assume the transfer embargo only applies to players coming in <_< That's 3 strikers down on last season now (which I think a lot of us suspected would be the case anyway).

A Championship assault with a squad of 5 midfielders 5 defenders and 1 goalkeeper. :icon_lol: (genuinely can see Assley doing that)

PL games bore me anyway. :icon_lol::)

Worse things to come. :)

I assume the transfer embargo only applies to players coming in :icon_lol: That's 3 strikers down on last season now (which I think a lot of us suspected would be the case anyway).

A Championship assault with a squad of 5 midfielders 5 defenders and 1 goalkeeper. :blush: (genuinely can see Assley doing that)

PL games bore me anyway. :icon_lol:<_<

That's one of the shitiest things about all this for me. Once I had come to terms with us dropping out of the prem I was actually looking forward to playing in the Championship.

Then the fat man open his bowels and shat all over that as well.

:)

I suppose £9m is decent money for a 30-year old! Won't be missed, but at least he had a resale value and scored a few goals, which is more than can be said for Smith.

He's only 24, but still 9m for him :)

£9m for Ashley to trouser along with the Given and Milner cash, can't see much point in cheering that !

I'm with Jimbo on this one. Love him or hate him, Martins was the best striker left at the club and would have had a field day in the Championship imo.

I'd rather get some of the really shite players on huge salaries off the wage bill first, step forward Alan Smith!

But his salary is not financially viable any more (nor are the others). The cold realisation is that we have to ship as may of this high earners as possible. Martins alone leaving will cut the annual wage bill by £3m.

Was always resigned to losing a decent premiership striker the minute we were relegated. He's not reliable enough to grind out the results we'll need in this league. He's great if you've got a consistent striker beside him, but £9m and losing his wages... it's a fair deal.

Don't want to lose Bassong though.

People should be more concerned at the exit of him and Beye than Martins tbh.

I personally think he would have scored an absolute bagfull in the championshit - if his head was screwed on. However, I think he was one of the players that couldnt give a fuck.

£9m is great. No idea where the money will go though.

We still owe money on Martins...Rumoured to be around 4-5m. So it really is a deal we needed to do.

Surely that cant be true. He has been here for 3 years...

I wouldn't at all be surprised if it is. And we can blame one Frederick Shepherd if it is...

Echoing what other people have said about it not being financially viable to pay his wages in the Championship and that £9 million is a decent deal. Can't say I'll miss him though. For too long, he's been woeful and lived off his mythical "good first season for someone new to the league" Last season, he was totally ineffectual too.. I dread to think where this money is going though. Probably to help lift some of the overdraft that's building.

how does selling valuable assets affect the sale?

I think this must be good news.

If nothing else it should be used to pay down some of the Barclays overdraft.

Although, more likely, it'll pay for Ashely to buy everyone in China Whites a Bacardi Breezer

how does selling valuable assets affect the sale?

I think this must be good news.

If I'm buying a car, and the price is agreed, I've looked at it, expressed an interest to buy it, and then the seller takes the seats out.....

do you think that car is now worth exactly the same as before?

this is an indication of 1 of 2 things

1) the sale of the club is concluded and the new owners have given their blessing

2) there is no longer a formal bid for the club