Crystal Palace 0-2 Newcastle United

Guest Stevie

Guest Stevie
:D:icon_lol:

FFS man, they finished mid table last season, they are still stuck in a transfer embargo, and have lost players since last season.

Why the pessimism ?

Even if Taylor is gone/left out, they are still very very beatable.

A draw would be fine, but expect a 2-1 win.

Because they're fast, young, have a hugely motivational experienced manager at this level, and it's always stood out as a banana skin, their easy 3-1 at 4th favs Ipswich emphasised my feelings that it will be a very difficult game indeed.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they're fast, young, have a hugely motivational experienced manager at this level, and it's always stood out as a banana skin, their easy 3-1 at 4th favs Ipswich emphasised my feelings that it will be a very difficult game indeed.

We need our more experienced heads to settle the game down from early and play some possession football to frustrate them.

Reckon all the hoo-ha about them over the last week will work in our favour; by usual reckoning a team 'wronged' will come out all guns blazing, but in reality things could turn out not as expected. At least a point to us.

We need our more experienced heads to settle the game down from early and play some possession football to frustrate them.

The only chances of us doing that is if Barton plays IMO.

Be hilarious if they scored and the ref missed it again - Warnock's head would literally explode. Although his mouth would keeping working as it's not connected to his brain.

I think if Taylor goes, as seems likely, there's no way we'll stand up to them at the back. With that in mind I'd be delighted with a score draw.

Possession football?? Us?? ROFLMAO ...

Against West Brom and Reading we were very good in possession, although this did make the odd mistake stick out like a sore thumb.

I think if Taylor goes, as seems likely, there's no way we'll stand up to them at the back. With that in mind I'd be delighted with a score draw.

This for me too. Ignoring the insane optimism (accadacca), I'd say defensively we'll struggle all season now unless he's replaced properly. Taylor might have his faults, but I'm much less confident in this league without him at the back.

This is a classic case of asset stripping. Many of the other sales have meant a drastic wage reduction as they've mostly been our higher earners. Taylor is not and should be kept. He's worth more than £8mil to us, especially if we are to have any chance of going up.

Colo is the one we should be pushing not Tayls. If the much mooted Campbell move takes place, it will unfortunately be to replace Taylor (which would be great if it happened) rather than to partner him.

Way to piss on my Friday..... :D

If the much mooted Campbell mive take splace, it will unfortunately be to replace Taylor (which would be great if it happened) rather than to partner him.

Way to piss on my Friday..... :icon_lol:

Been on the sauce already paws? :D

Just shows what lying cunts the people in charge are if he goes as I can't see Taylor going being the determining factor in a takeover going through. On the contrary I think he'd be determined to stay if one were imminent. Also, what happened to the transfer embargo? More lies. Plenty people going out and the nonexistent takeover is the excuse for no one coming in. I really hope I'm reading it wrong.

You have to wonder is Ashley is merely using Barry Moat as a 'red herring' (irony) . All this sitting together at the match whilst nothing is being done does seem as if it's to get the fans excited whilst in the background all the players slip out the back door all the way till the transfer window.

I truly hope we absolutely fucking rape them, I hate Simon Jordan and Warnock

I prefer Colin to Jordan. Rarely has a football person deserved a hiding as much as Jordan, every time I see him I feel the urge to go all Roberto Carlos on his head. I'm not a lover of Crystal Palace neither, when fans sing you've never won fuck all to us, well it's just ignorant, but with them it's absolutely true. In essence a shit club, so desperate for a rival they hate Brighton (50 miles away) more than any other club. If you know the georgraphy of the area, they should be the biggest club in Britain by a mile. if you go 20 miles south in any direction there, they are the nearest club, in a unique catchment area of at least 4m. Shit club, shit fans, shit ground, shit owner, lets get out of there with three points.

I dont agree about shit fans. The reason they dont get bigger support despite a big catchment area will be the usual reason, like most areas a big proportion of people are glory hunters and will support the more successful London clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal as well as Manure and Liverpoool.

Give some credit to the substantial amount of Palace fans who still follow their local club, it would be all too easy for them to follow a more successful London club. Palace's support isnt that bad considering they have won fuck all

Palace's support is completely shit, as I said they have a unique catchment area of at least 4m through South London, Croydon, parts of Kent, the North part of East and West Sussex. They are a horrendously poorly supported club. Maybe it's because the ground is in an awful location and the road network round there is as bad as you'll find in the UK, maybe that contributes still 13000 for an opening day game is absolutely shit. You look at sides like WBA who have a smaller catchment area with more direct competition for fanbase, and they've had 16-22000 constant for 30 years +

They may have a bigger catchment area than WBA but they certainly have plenty of competition for fanbase ie the other London clubs. Save your criticism for the glory hunting wankers in South East London who latch onto the successful clubs rather then the 15,000 or so Palace fans who support their local club

If the much mooted Campbell mive take splace, it will unfortunately be to replace Taylor (which would be great if it happened) rather than to partner him.

Way to piss on my Friday..... :nufc:

Been on the sauce already paws? :icon_lol:

Sat in an open office on a client site and had to type quick. You must have been quick 'cos I edited that straight after posting :D

Guest Stevie

I prefer Colin to Jordan. Rarely has a football person deserved a hiding as much as Jordan, every time I see him I feel the urge to go all Roberto Carlos on his head. I'm not a lover of Crystal Palace neither, when fans sing you've never won fuck all to us, well it's just ignorant, but with them it's absolutely true. In essence a shit club, so desperate for a rival they hate Brighton (50 miles away) more than any other club. If you know the georgraphy of the area, they should be the biggest club in Britain by a mile. if you go 20 miles south in any direction there, they are the nearest club, in a unique catchment area of at least 4m. Shit club, shit fans, shit ground, shit owner, lets get out of there with three points.

I dont agree about shit fans. The reason they dont get bigger support despite a big catchment area will be the usual reason, like most areas a big proportion of people are glory hunters and will support the more successful London clubs like Chelsea and Arsenal as well as Manure and Liverpoool.

Give some credit to the substantial amount of Palace fans who still follow their local club, it would be all too easy for them to follow a more successful London club. Palace's support isnt that bad considering they have won fuck all

Palace's support is completely shit, as I said they have a unique catchment area of at least 4m through South London, Croydon, parts of Kent, the North part of East and West Sussex. They are a horrendously poorly supported club. Maybe it's because the ground is in an awful location and the road network round there is as bad as you'll find in the UK, maybe that contributes still 13000 for an opening day game is absolutely shit. You look at sides like WBA who have a smaller catchment area with more direct competition for fanbase, and they've had 16-22000 constant for 30 years +

They may have a bigger catchment area than WBA but they certainly have plenty of competition for fanbase ie the other London clubs. Save your criticism for the glory hunting wankers in South East London who latch onto the successful clubs rather then the 15,000 or so Palace fans who support their local club

South East London? You have a dedicated 13000 Millwall support watching 3rd tier football, and maybe double that who can't get in due to the ID measures put in place, on top of a dormant fanbase of maybe 100,000. You also have Charlton who have been getting 20-26000 for years, and they're only 3 miles apart. Crystal Palace have all of South London and beyond to themselves, there's not a club around them for 8 miles, in Europe's biggest connurbation, their support is shocking.

Way to piss on my Friday..... :nufc:

Been on the sauce already paws? :icon_lol:

Sat in an open office on a client site and had to type quick. You must have been quick 'cos I edited that straight after posting :D

I'm two parts Ninja on my nan's side :lol:

South East London? You have a dedicated 13000 Millwall support watching 3rd tier football, and maybe double that who can't get in due to the ID measures put in place, on top of a dormant fanbase of maybe 100,000. You also have Charlton who have been getting 20-26000 for years, and they're only 3 miles apart. Crystal Palace have all of South London and beyond to themselves, there's not a club around them for 8 miles, in Europe's biggest connurbation, their support is shocking.

The point I'm trying to make Stevie is that although the support for Palace may be shocking in your opinion(and Millwall who in fact regularly get less than 10k, and Lincoln and Barnsley and Walsall and dozens of other teams with sizeable catchment areas) the reason is because too many people in those areas choose to latch onto Man U, Liverpool and other more successful teams. I would rather slag off those wankers than the loyal fans who choose to turn up and watch their local team be it Palace, Wigan, Scunthorpe, Barnet or whoever

The point I'm trying to make Stevie is that although the support for Palace may be shocking in your opinion(and Millwall who in fact regularly get less than 10k, and Lincoln and Barnsley and Walsall and dozens of other teams with sizeable catchment areas) the reason is because too many people in those areas choose to latch onto Man U, Liverpool and other more successful teams. I would rather slag off those wankers than the loyal fans who choose to turn up and watch their local team be it Palace, Wigan, Scunthorpe, Barnet or whoever

Aye, fair point.

Crystal Palace v Newcastle

Coca Cola Championship

Venue: Selhurst Park Date: Saturday, 22 August 2009 Kick-off: 1500 BST

Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 live, BBC local radio, Final Score & highlights on The Football League Show

TEAM NEWS

Crystal Palace are still without striker Stern John.

The summer signing has been sidelined since suffering an elbow injury against Plymouth on his debut.

Newcastle skipper Nicky Butt is back in the Magpies squad after recovering from a hand injury, but Joey Barton will again miss out with a foot problem.

Striker Andy Carroll must undergo a fitness test, having picked up a slight groin strain in the 1-0 win against Sheffield Wednesday in midweek.

MATCH PREVIEW

Newcastle's problems have been well documented but whatever state a club is in, a goalscorer makes all the difference and Shola Ameobi looks like he could make a real impact this season.

The Magpies have started well and Ameobi, who has been with the club for nine years and sometimes struggled in the top flight, has netted four goals in his last two Championship.

Crystal Palace have themselves made a decent start and were excellent in their 3-1 win at Ipswich, where summer signing Darren Ambrose scored twice.

Ambrose spent just over two years with Newcastle after joining from Ipswich in a £1m deal, aged just 19. He was unable to establish himself and has since suffered relegation with Charlton. Now 25 and having made a great start to his Palace career, Ambrose is a man in form as he prepares to face his former club.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• Palace's last home league victory over the Magpies was a quarter of a century ago; 3-1 in the old Second Division in January 1984.

• Newcastle visited Crystal Palace three times in the Premier League and won all three games.

Crystal Palace

• Palace are targeting their first back-to-back league victories since winning three on the bounce in December last year.

• The Eagles have scored six goals in all competitions so far this term, and Darren Ambrose has got four of them.

Newcastle

• A win for Newcastle would give them a third consecutive success for the first time since April 2008.

• Three points would not only be their first away win since early February, it would also make this Newcastle's best start to a league campaign in 14 years.

• Shola Ameobi is set to make his 200th career league appearance.

MOST RECENT MEETING

Crystal Palace 0-0 Newcastle (30 April 2005)

So with no Barton and Carroll possibly having to sit it out, are we just going to see Nolan pushed further forward or will someone like Ranger/Xisco be given a start?

I'm not sure what to predict in this match, don't think either team could be classed as favourites to win as it could go both ways. I reckon it's got a 2-2 draw on it, however I hope I'm wrong and we slap the cunts 3-0.

Edited by ChriszyD