A cup or promotion?

Andrew

Cup or promotion  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

we're all fans here and CT seems adamant a lot of fans would rather a cup this season than us get up so lets see what the consensus is

oh and if you wouldn't mind telling us what you've gone for

Promotion for me

Edited by Andrew

A future for the club returning to the prem or 1 day being happy to win a trophy but stuck in the lower divisions, no money, no players and likely to get worse each year with the chances of ashley being able to shift it decreasing as we get worse, not a hard call to make.

Ok. We can win promotion even if it's via the playoffs. The best teams in the championship are (at best) at our level. The cups would put us in front of average premiership teams who'll beat us

comfortably.

So in response I'd rather the likely promotion to the unlikely (and frankly miraculous) cup win.

Pud and fish, naughty naught, the poll is about which you would prefer not which is possible.

Andrew, please delete there votes.

no

No question for me. Promotion. Although it would be awesome to win a cup (and I'm too young to remember one) being in the best league in the world with the prospects of Champions League (even EURO Cup) and getting a result against Man U, Chelsea and the like made me one happy Geordie.

Promotion, promotion, promotion!!!

Depends on the cup. I'd chose the FA Cup any day as it's something special but if it was the Carling Cup then i'd have to choose promotion.

I actually like the Carling Cup and hope that we put our all into it but it's so important to get back to the Premier League as soon as possible. Teams that don't get back at the first time of asking tend to struggle over the next few years. Just look at Leeds, Southampton etc

Voted for a cup. And would vote for a cup whether Ashley, Arabs or Americans owned the club. Its a cup for me whether, Shearer, Houghton or Mr Ed the talking horse are in the dug out.

I was still just 7 years old when we won the fairs cup. Promotions are great fun as are high league placings but even finishing runners up doesn't come close the rush at the final whistle of winning a Wembley final........er I've always imagined!

Cup, Cup Cup! (Just turned 48 and I'm still throwing tantrums)

Promotion is much more important.

As much as I want us to win a cup (be it the FA Cup, League Cup or one of the European cups) it is far more important to achieve promotion. When we were promoted in 1992/93, that was far and away more important than any cup win.

That's not to say cup wins aren't important, and that I don't want us to do well in them this season, of course I do. I would love it, but if you're asking which I want more, promotion every time.

Promotion is much more important.

As much as I want us to win a cup (be it the FA Cup, League Cup or one of the European cups) it is far more important to achieve promotion. When we were promoted in 1992/93, that was far and away more important than any cup win.

That's not to say cup wins aren't important, and that I don't want us to do well in them this season, of course I do. I would love it, but if you're asking which I want more, promotion every time.

If football's finances weren't so skewed in 2009 (the riches of the premiership) would that affect your answer or others on here I wonder?

I understand what you say and given the finances logic is undoubtedly on your side. But football supporting is an emotion and for me the thrill of winning the FA cup say would last for a lifetime. The novelty of promotion would quickly wear off when (in all probability) we struggle to break into the top 8 and resume our routine humpings off the top teams.

Would like both but if I have to choose then a cup. Dont fall for the Sky TV bullshit, the premier league is no better than the old first division, its a disgrace the way they talk about teams like Huddersfield, Burnley and Blackpool never having played in the premier league when they spent years in the top division - utter nonsense. Much as I hate Leeds its like when they won the league in 1992 its been devalued

Sky are trying to rewrite football history and 1992 is year zero - its fucking bollocks.

Newcastle have a great cup tradition - lets keep it going

Because of the size of your squad, and the blatant fact that it is weaker than what it was last year and even then it wasn't top notch. There is virtually no chance of you winning a cup this season, your squad simply hasn't got the depth or the quality to do so but hopefully this thread is a "what would you have have" than a "what should we aim for" type, but when looking at some of the posts on it, it makes me wonder.

A cup would always be a special moment for the club and the fans, but promotion should always be the first challenge as it will be more beneficial to the club in terms of finance and reputation long term, than a cup would be. You need to take things one step at a time and walk before you can run, relegation has been a massive setback and ultimately the only objective of this season is to get back in the premiership and reverse the damage which has been done, and even when that's complete the season after will also have a primary objective over winning a cup, restablishment and survival in the premiership.

If you did challenge for a cup this season, then because of the size of your squad and such the extra games would likely make your promotion challenge suffer, extra games would tire players, cause more injuries and suspensions. Had Keegan stayed on the previous season and it hadn't become a complete disaster due to Ashley's fuckups, then the conditions would have certainly been apropriate for a cup challenge. If you're in the premiership or not though, 99 times out of 100 the cups on offer will go to the "big four" teams.

Edited by KingHarkinian