Its the future!!!

Kid Dynamite

What about underground flywheels as energy stores?

And what about this space based thing the Japanese are doing, harvesting the sun and sending some insane beam of power down to earth?

What do you do Donald?

I'm a PR consultant now, but I used to work for a renewable energy firm.

And I've not heard about either of those to things, sounds like the work of Dr Evil to me!

Edited by donaldstott

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just reading MacKay's Sustainable energy without the hot air, very interesting.

Nuclear is not the answer fwiw. Oil crisis would be replaced by a nuclear crises as uranium stocks would be depleted in twenty years or so. (Out of Gas, David Goodstein).

Currently 4% of our energy is from Nuclear and Renewables.

Tide - Too expensive

Deep Offshore wind - not near my radar!

Shallow offshore wind - not near our birds!

Wind - NIMBY MADNESS

Biomass - not in my countryside!

PV Farms far too expensive!

Local PV - No, they would spoil the visual amenity of the street

Solar heating - No, they would spoil the visual amenity of the street

Wind - No they're ugly and noisy

Public consultation is the problem. Force brown and black outs on them, they'll sharp change their minds. This won't happen though, so wtf are we to do?

The earth is surrounded by a magnetic field which could provide all the planets needs and they know that. :D:lol:

I'm just reading MacKay's Sustainable energy without the hot air, very interesting.

Nuclear is not the answer fwiw. Oil crisis would be replaced by a nuclear crises as uranium stocks would be depleted in twenty years or so. (Out of Gas, David Goodstein).

Currently 4% of our energy is from Nuclear and Renewables.

Tide - Too expensive

Deep Offshore wind - not near my radar!

Shallow offshore wind - not near our birds!

Wind - NIMBY MADNESS

Biomass - not in my countryside!

PV Farms far too expensive!

Local PV - No, they would spoil the visual amenity of the street

Solar heating - No, they would spoil the visual amenity of the street

Wind - No they're ugly and noisy

Public consultation is the problem. Force brown and black outs on them, they'll sharp change their minds. This won't happen though, so wtf are we to do?

I work in the industry..

You're absolutely right about uranium stocks, they are ultimately a limited fuel, though 20 years is out of sink with most thinking.

Suggest that our energy future will be a combination of all of the above, apart from PV farms here. Costs will fall in wave and tidal energy and ultimately bills will get much higher. A change in attitude regarding energy efficiency is also much needed and much overdue.

But wind will more than likely lead the way in the UK.

Suggest large scale near shore wind farms are a given. We will almost certainly litter the country with onshore turbines and on a good windy day that should be enough for everyone. On a non-windy day (which can be mitigated against to an extent by profileration) there will be a need for other fuel sources.

There is a lot of talk about deep offshore turbines being potentially used as hydrogen producing stations and the worlds first floating 100m turbine was launched last week, bringing that a step closer.

We will ultimately still rely on fossil fuels until the silver bullet is found, for my money the person who invents a huge energy storage device will be richer beyond his wildest dreams..

Will be killed.

The future won't be about leccy or hydro it will be about the magnetic field our planet produces naturally, one day this field will drive all mahcines on the planet. © Pesla.

this and check this out.

http://www.ted.com/talks/eric_giler_demos_...lectricity.html

Edited by tooner

The earth is surrounded by a magnetic field which could provide all the planets needs and they know that. :D:lol:

I recall reading about that Tesla tower, how come no-one else has built one?

Getting abundant free energy is a tricky thing....

Regardless of whether electric cars are the future or not, electricity is going nowhere. These cars will run, and run extremely cheaply for many, many years. £3 for 200miles is good value in anyones book

That will never last though.

Once they stick a 2000% tax on "car electricity".

It's like people thinking if they use less electricity they will save money - nope as soon as enough start to do it the electricity companies will just stick the tariffs up to compensate.

Ouch :D

Couldn't you just buy an alcoholic drink yourself ;)

Had no money left and they don't let you take it out of the country anyway. Which begs the question why there are any shops and bars at the airport at all really. :lol: I'm sure people do, but Serbian border police are scary creatures and I was beyond the point of wanting to tangle with them... :lol:

Ouch :D

Couldn't you just buy an alcoholic drink yourself ;)

Had no money left and they don't let you take it out of the country anyway. Which begs the question why there are any shops and bars at the airport at all really. :lol: I'm sure people do, but Serbian border police are scary creatures and I was beyond the point of wanting to tangle with them... :lol:

Had a similar experience in Mexico when my plane was delayed by 24 hours. Was completely out of pesos so was given a soft drink voucher, upon trying to redeem it I was informed that orange juice was not a soft drink. Neither was bottled water apparently. Upon enquiring what was a soft drink, I was told Coca Cola, diet coke, or Dr Pepper. But only if it was in a cardboard cup from a dispenser (i.e. not a can or bottle). :)

By the way, there's some shit on this thread. :rolleyes:

World's biggest wind turbine blades to be made in the North East.

http://decc.gov.uk/en/content/cms/news/pn100/pn100.aspx

have you seen the bio-mimicry wind turbine blades? The design reflects a hump-back whale's fins, with bumps and protrusions along the leading edge, seems counter-intuitive but the bumps create air currents as the blade/fin moves throught the air that actually decreases the amount of drag that the blade/fin feels. Result, more efficient wind-turbines= more power.

http://www.whalepower.com/drupal/