Question Time tonight

Kid Dynamite

I'll have to wait until I get home to watch the prog on i-player.

I wonder if the presence of Jack Straw on the show was a clever move by the bbc, or just pure accidental? If I'm not mistaken, Straw is MP for part of Burnley, and there were thoughts he could be under some pressure from BNP at the next election due to the high numbers of 'ethnic minorities' and disenfranchised 'whites' in his constituency.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reasonably confident that not one single parliamentary seat will be "under pressure" from the BNP at the next election. And that's entirely unconnected to last night's show trial by panel. Elections for roles relating to dogshit/potholes/bin collection and Yoorop are one thing, but I just don't see a significant number of people voting BNP (or UKIP, for that matter) in an election that actually counts for something.

The program was cringeworthy from all quarters tbf including the BBC. An no Fish, that doesn't temper the criticism towards Griffin one bit.

This wasn't an open panel discussing political matters with Dimbleby sat in the middle adjudicating... it was a witch hunt against one person from all sides including the presenter.

I don't like Griffin and I certainly don't agree with his views and principles but to use Question Time as a platform to shoot him down was, IMO wrong. They'd have been better off taking the rest of the panel (and Dimbleby) away and just have Griffin himself answering questions from the public.

As for the proportion of ethnic minority in the audience, it wasn't as high as what Stevie was suggesting but it was greater than a fair representation of the electorate - that's understanding though considering that Griffin was on the panel and the program was only so long.

I must admit I did find it amusing when Griffin was asked about supporting the Nazis it came up that Griffin's father had been in the RAF and fought in the war whereas Jack Straw's father had been banged up for refusing to fight the Nazis :)

I think they're all a bunch of no-neck idiots who won't touch the issues that need sorting, the country need me to be running the show as a dictatorship, muhuhahahahahahahaaaaaaa!

Edited by Armchair Pundit

The point about the ethnic minorities in the audience is a fair one, but then Question Time always stacks the audience in favour of people who have an interest in whatever the "issue of the week" may be. And let's not forget that there was a disproportionately high number of BNP supporters in the audience too.

All of whom appeared to be overweight, neckless bald men with problems expressing themselves without resorting to grunting and shouting over other people. Funny that.

The program was cringeworthy from all quarters tbf including the BBC. An no Fish, that doesn't temper the criticism towards Griffin one bit.

This wasn't an open panel discussing political matters with Dimbleby sat in the middle adjudicating... it was a witch hunt against one person from all sides including the presenter.

I don't like Griffin and I certainly don't agree with his views and principles but to use Question Time as a platform to shoot him down was, IMO wrong. They'd have been better off taking the rest of the panel (and Dimbleby) away and just have Griffin himself answering questions from the public.

As for the proportion of ethnic minority in the audience, it wasn't as high as what Stevie was suggesting but it was greater than a fair representation of the electorate - that's understanding though considering that Griffin was on the panel and the program was only so long.

Id agree with that. Jack Straw completely ignored the first question and launched into a pre-prepared rant on the BNP. And whilst it was embarrassing to watch, it need doing imo to show Griffin up for what he really is. A bong eyed racist. If hes the most intelligent, media savvy person in their party they are in trouble, I thought he was going to explode at one point when he couldnt get a word in edge ways!

I must admit I did find it amusing when Griffin was asked about supporting the Nazis it came up that Griffin's father had been in the RAF and fought in the war whereas Jack Straw's father had been banged up for refusing to fight the Nazis :)

I think they're all a bunch of no-neck idiots who won't touch the issues that need sorting, the country need me to be running the show as a dictatorship, muhuhahahahahahahaaaaaaa!

I found it amusing that Griffin managed to discredit himself as a politician with his first ever official spoken words on national TV :) It was a cheap shot, had nothing to do with the debate and just showed what a wank he was imo

Id agree with that. Jack Straw completely ignored the first question and launched into a pre-prepared rant on the BNP. And whilst it was embarrassing to watch, it need doing imo to show Griffin up for what he really is. A bong eyed racist. If hes the most intelligent, media savvy person in their party they are in trouble, I thought he was going to explode at one point when he couldnt get a word in edge ways!

It was interesting the way he was properly shivering by the end. I suppose the counterargument is that he'll get "better" with repeated media exposure. I do take Christmas Tree's point though, let's just hope this country is sensible enough not to belch out a young, charismatic BNP leader. I remain hopeful - after all, it took the vastly more popular Conservatives several attempts to come up with anything, and their first effort was bloody William Hague.

Was noticable as well, that 75% of the audience were of ethnic minority, when only 7% of the population are.

that's utter shite.

What you on about you stupidest of stupid cunts. I even paused it, I'd say more like 90% of the questions posed were by people of ethnic minorities.

89388291.jpg

5/28 = 17.8%

:)

I found it amusing that Griffin managed to discredit himself as a politician with his first ever official spoken words on national TV :) It was a cheap shot, had nothing to do with the debate and just showed what a wank he was imo

:icon_lol: Aye funny though, and I can't stop laughing about the Gaddafi thing. However, and anyone can debate this how they like, but Craig's use of the word "witch hunt" is completely and utterly spot on. They kept using the word democracy, but there was no democracy there, seemed like a mass propaganda attempt in that he wasn't even allowed to answer a majority of the questions properly, many would say rightly so, but if people are going to mention democracy then a witchhunt like Craig puts it, doesn't fall within the democratic remit. As I said there could've been so much more rope for him to hang himself, i.e the queers issue etc.. etc.. only doing business with "white" countries, which I can find no where in their manifesto, but if true would've shown their true agenda as much as anything, but they wouldn't let him speak. You can't answer a question by ignoring it and throwing an insult back in the other direction, Nick Griffin did it, but as I said the thing that will stick in my mind, is Britain's most powerful female muslim, doing the same, surely an intelligent muslim could answer the question about how she feels about the islamic teachings dictating rape victims are dirty and women should be regarded as second class citizens, and some pathetic muslim man in the audience tried to answer it by completely misinterpreting the teachings of the Bible. You have to consider the average person in this country as being thick as fuck, and sadly I don't think the BNP will have lost support last night.

Was noticable as well, that 75% of the audience were of ethnic minority, when only 7% of the population are.

that's utter shite.

What you on about you stupidest of stupid cunts. I even paused it, I'd say more like 90% of the questions posed were by people of ethnic minorities.

89388291.jpg

5/28 = 17.8%

What a tool, you're missing more than half the people who spoke, including that Malcolm X type bloke who I thought was going to get up and chin him.

Number 2 is an ethnic minority according to himself :)

That's the thing, if you apply BNP standards then I should be shipped off to Sweden tomorrow. Or at least my mother should. She'd look pretty damn white in a Question Time audience too. Maybe Stevie's uncanny powers of establishing the cuntishness of forruners extend to instinctively knowing who in a given group of people is descended from PROPER BRITISH NEANDERTHALS.

Question Time has never been, and never can be, about "democracy" in its truest sense. Anyone who thinks Griffin's been hard done by because of that is a fucking idiot.

I think anyone who thinks last nights events were anything other than a stage managed attempt, and a clear witch hunt in their nature is a fucking idiot to be honest as Craig mentioned, in a country where we pride ourselves on free speech.

Question Time has never been, and never can be, about "democracy" in its truest sense. Anyone who thinks Griffin's been hard done by because of that is a fucking idiot.

I think anyone who thinks last nights events were anything other than a stage managed attempt, and a clear witch hunt in their nature is a fucking idiot to be honest as Craig mentioned, in a country where we pride ourselves on free speech.

I wasn't particularly comfortable with the setup either, to be honest, but it still allowed Griffin to make his point, regardless of whether he was subsequently shouted down by the majority. The fact that he failed to use the opportunity to such a remarkable extent speaks volumes about the actual content of what his policies are based on.

Does anyone have a view on the Yaseem Wasir's deliberate avoidance of perfectly valid questions concering the Quran?

Edited by Stevie

Does anyone have a view on the Yaseem Wasir's deliberate avoidance of perfectly valid questions concering the Quran?

I have no idea who that is.

Sayeeda Warsi sorry. Just checked the name.

I think she's just as bad as everyone else on Question Time - there's not one member of the panel last night who didn't talk their way around the questions they found most uncomfortable, and 'twas ever thus. That's one of the fundamental problems with politics, both these days and in general, and hence one of the reasons why the BNP are doing so well - whether you think they talk sense or a load of shit, they do it directly and immediately in a way that people can understand, without coming across as deliberately evasive in the same way as most mainstream careerist politicans (even though they obviously are in their own way).

I think she's just as bad as everyone else on Question Time - there's not one member of the panel last night who didn't talk their way around the questions they found most uncomfortable, and 'twas ever thus. That's one of the fundamental problems with politics, both these days and in general, and hence one of the reasons why the BNP are doing so well - whether you think they talk sense or a load of shit, they do it directly and immediately in a way that people can understand, without coming across as deliberately evasive in the same way as most mainstream careerist politicans (even though they obviously are in their own way).

I think the BNP are every bit as evasive of uncomfortable questions, but they aren't the ones taking the moral high ground like Miss Warsi here, she was a disgrace last night as far as I'm concerned and even if the Tories win the General Election she's got two hopes of winning the Dewsbury seat.

that's utter shite.

89388291.jpg

5/28 = 17.8%

What a tool, you're missing more than half the people who spoke, including that Malcolm X type bloke who I thought was going to get up and chin him.

Was noticable as well, that 75% of the audience were of ethnic minority

I could edit together clips of everyone who asked a question to disprove your 90% claim too and put it on youtube. But I think I've already put too much effort into this.

I wasn't particularly comfortable with the setup either, to be honest, but it still allowed Griffin to make his point, regardless of whether he was subsequently shouted down by the majority. The fact that he failed to use the opportunity to such a remarkable extent speaks volumes about the actual content of what his policies are based on.

Aye I'm with Meenzer on this one... while it was IMO 'staged' to expose Griffin for the fuckwit he is, it did allow him the opportunity to get his own viewpoints across (which he spectaculaly failed to do so).