The Guitar Thread

Tom

Good example of a player using his volume and tone a lot is (my favourite who I talk about too much) joe bonamassa

He fiddles constantly

And I'm going to see him tomorrow night, only downside is that I've to go to Liverpool to do so

I've seen him a few times but didn't fancy the Arena for one reason or another.

I've seen him at South Shields Custom House, The Sage Gateshead, Newcastle O2 Academy and Leeds Cockpit - which as the smallest venue was the best.

All great gigs, the first time was £12 and the rest weren't too much more, the sage being £25, I wouldn't be surprised if he's a £50 ticket man now.

The idea being that if you get the right one you needn't get another, although that doesn't stop a lot of people.

Regarding the amp - always get that before the guitar & it doesn't have to be too expensive, you could probably get by on £180-400 for an amp that would do the guitar wonders. All depending on what sound you're looking for!

To be honest, my problem is that I'll pretty much be playing it at home, so need something that sounds decent, but isn't crazy loud. So like that Fender Champ 600 would have done the job. There's a Vox as well, the AC4TV, which might do the job. The orange tiny terror can be switched back to 7 watts from 15 as well, so that's a possibility, although that's at least twice the price of the other two!

Gemmill - Yeh you need to look at volume too.

I had a Fender Pro Junior which was great for that, a Fender Blues Junior will do the same job but with reverb.

It depends again on style - some of the Orange amps are great but it's more suited to a heavier type of music or at least Classic rock, most of them don't have effects loops either - so you need to take that into consideration.

Not all the low volume amps work well either - my Orange Rocker 30 - is better at low volume than my 5 watt Marshall!

Yeh definitely a good house amp, they can be loud if you want them to though!

I think mine was a 10w job whilst the blues junior is a 15w with reverb and a bigger speaker.

When I used mine I had a multi effects pedal too, so you still got a good valve sound but you could also make decent enough Morrello style madness etc etc.

Wish I hadn't sold my little pro junior <_<

On the subject of 'It Might Get Loud', I thought it was a great idea that turned out to be shit. Jimmy Page has produced some great work, but I suspected he is a knob with all the stealing music and shagging 14 year olds, and on the evidence of this film it seems to be true. I'm not really a big fan of the Edge or Jack White's guitar work, so they were just taking up space in the film. Could have been really good if they got a different mix on. Hard to get the right balance of personalities/guitar styles for something like that though.

He's done Newcastle already on this tour (just watched a vid of him doing his new song there - in fact one he linked to). Missed out on seeing him this time round 'cos no fucker wanted to go and I hate gigs on my own. Good thing with that is though he tours almost constantly so he'll be back either on his own or with BCC in a year.

But whilst you are seeing him tomorrow Andrew, I will be watching Rival Sons and Black Country Communion instead!

Edited by Bonamental

On the subject of 'It Might Get Loud', I thought it was a great idea that turned out to be shit. Jimmy Page has produced some great work, but I suspected he is a knob with all the stealing music and shagging 14 year olds, and on the evidence of this film it seems to be true. I'm not really a big fan of the Edge or Jack White's guitar work, so they were just taking up space in the film. Could have been really good if they got a different mix on. Hard to get the right balance of personalities/guitar styles for something like that though.

If they were to do it again - who would you like to see?

I was fine with Jimmy Page being in it because he has created some classic riffs/guitar sounds, and the parts where he demonstrated the ideas behind certain songs were a lot of fun to watch. As for two who I think would be willing to do it, and wouldn't clash personality wise, I'd go for:

2. Jeff Beck.

3. Lindsay Buckingham.

3 I'd really like to see go through their styles:

1 Ry Cooder

2 Hendrix

3 Jerry Reed

Show was brilliant!

Slow Train

Last Kiss

Midnight Blues

Dust Bowl

You Better Watch Yourself

Sloe Gin

Ballad Of John Henry

Lonesome Road Blues

Song Of Yesterday

Steal Your Heart Away

Blues Deluxe

Young Mans Blues

Woke Up Dreaming

Mountain Time

encore was

Driving Towards The Daylight (title track for his next album)

Just Got Paid

Midnight Blues and Just Got Paid in particular had me :spinwank:

and of course, the '59 was on show as well as a bunch of other otherworldly gear

I love his Just Got Paid. Does he still do the Dazed And Confused bit as well now Bowgie's not his drummer? Glad it was a good one. His Young Man's Blues is pretty good too.

Hang on, no Woke Up Dreaming? Did he do any acoustic stuff?

BSC were quality last night, really high energy good fun. Bit pissed off though, cos Rival Sons were on before 8, so only saw 3 songs cos my mates' train was late. Jay Buchanan has got to be the best singer I've ever seen live. Phenomenal.

Edited by Bonamental

yes he does, Tal kicked ass all night

Woke ups there before mountain time

young mans blues was ace he and tal did a guitar/drum duel before it, there were bongos

I'm really not doing very well in this thread am I?

That sounds awesome! Stuff I've seen of Tal all looks pretty good really, it just made me wonder a bit how he'd change things with having a different guy there.

On the subject of drummers though, John Fred is an absolute beast. Drum solo into drum solo with his fists. Mentalist.

I'm really not doing very well in this thread am I?

That sounds awesome! Stuff I've seen of Tal all looks pretty good really, it just made me wonder a bit how he'd change things with having a different guy there.

On the subject of drummers though, John Fred is an absolute beast. Drum solo into drum solo with his fists. Mentalist.

Heard about that. Ridiculous carry-on. I, and the rest of the drummers union, are appalled.