The Guitar Thread

Tom

This is canny mental.

Reminds me of Final Fantasy 8 for some reason.

Guitar technical 'wizardry' bores the arse off me. I'd rather hear someone like Kurt Cobain fucking about on a £20 nylon stringed, 3/4 sized acoustic.

Same. Give me a Harrison slide solo anyday of the week.

Though Harrison probably was the best slide player but still.

Malmsteen gets incredibly boring after one or two songs - the style he plays is very very limiting and without much soul or emoting, even though he's very good at playing it.

Tasteful shredding, like Paul Gilbert, is rad though.

Edited by JonGoodwyn

This is canny mental.

Reminds me of Final Fantasy 8 for some reason.

Guitar technical 'wizardry' bores the arse off me. I'd rather hear someone like Kurt Cobain fucking about on a £20 nylon stringed, 3/4 sized acoustic.

I can enjoy both thankfully.

I couldn't listen to that kind of music regularly but when coming in from a night out or if I find myself a bit bored it is canny to watch.

Perhaps not as 'deep' as other kinds of music but still more enjoyable than watching a classic composition in it's regular form.

If you like slide guitar, try Ry Cooder and David Lindley, also Elmore James was one of the great Blues slide players. There are tonnes of great lapsteel players in country music.

With regard to Malmsteen and other super-technical types, I'm like Tom, I can enjoy it all. I'm fascinated by virtuoso types who have such a level of dedication to music that it crosses into obsession; a lot of them seem to be dysfunctional people, but that could just be a stereotype. I have nothing but respect for the amount of graft it takes to attain that level of technique. I've tried in the past to get into a dedicated practice routine, ie several focused hours daily, but it's beyond me.

I couldn't listen to that kind of music regularly but when coming in from a night out or if I find myself a bit bored it is canny to watch.

Perhaps not as 'deep' as other kinds of music but still more enjoyable than watching a classic composition in it's regular form.

Disagree there, there's plenty of great orchestral music. I do get bored of seeing concert pianists always playing Rachmaninoff's 2nd though, play something new, for fuck's sake.

I think I just marvelled at his technique in that clip But I wouldn't watch it again, I don't find the music interesting in itself. before the end of the clip I found my mind wandering to a critique of his hair and outfit.

• 2 weeks later...

Once payday rolls around I will be buying one of these

21318-fender-champion-600--large.jpg

Fender Champ 600 - I found out that it was one of these that I LOVED in store when I was trying out my Les Paul. I also found out that they're really cheap (relative to what I was planning to spend) and that I can order it from Gear4Music who have a 14 day no quibble returns policy so free two week demo to see if I like it

also, one of these

76190_l.jpg

as the champ doesn't have more than one channel or any controls beyond a volume I figured a versatile drive/dist pedal would be in order along with it, again Gear4Music keeping me happy with the 2 week thing.

and a power supply since I hate dicking about with batteries

Ive watched a ton of demos as I can't get one locally

like that you can do one, the other, or both at the same time to get really gritty

the base tone out of the champ was beautiful when I played one before too plus its little and can be modded quite a lot by the looks of things

Yeh they are supposed to be decent little amps, a lot more pricey than they used to be, nearly double! Most Fenders are good for bass & you could probably say overall tone!

Did you get your Les Paul or are you still looking?

Still looking. I picked up a vintage LP copy last year to tide me over. Just need to finish Uni then start saving really. Cant generate enough spare cash til then.

For the price difference for the lefty models I'm probably skipping over the standard and paying a few hundred more for a 57 or 58 reissue. Long way off at the moment though.

Aye Ive seen one in the flesh (righty) and they've definitely got the look spot on.

With a bit of tweaking from the factory mine plays lovely, finish is nice though there is a rough edge or two its not noticeable.

It'll do me til the real one comes along anyway.

Been looking at those fender champs too, semi-on. you got it yet?

I've got an 80W Marshall, which is far too much for round the house, so might flog that and put it towards the fender. Anyone want an 80W Marshall?

My guitar's in getting rewired, and having a full setup done, including fret milling. Looking forward to getting it back to see the difference