The Guitar Thread

Tom

In one of those odd series of coincidences the owner on the forum of the link I gave to Clee up there has stuck up a demo he got from NAMM of the HT5R stack and seems very impressed with it, as well as being a good little demo video

You're making me want to buy things I have no money for Andrew. :lol:

Both of those amps look awesome. The Blackstar looks class and all of those Marshall amps look spot on!

aye, the versatility of the blackstar just from having more than one channel will help

I'll still have the Vox around though too.

How great do those little marshalls look though? checked out the prices they are...prohibitive...

Hmm they are about £150 overpriced. They look decent but from what I can gather you want a versatile valve sound for blues and rock, for Bonamassa sounds you'll always need reverb and an effects loop and probably two channels.

You'll get that in the 50w Marshall but they will be really loud, seriously, you'd only get the best function by A. turning it very loud, B. buying a powerbreak costing £200. So really the quieter amp sounds better as you'll actually get to use it.

The 5w are loud enough to keep up with a drummer and sometimes overpower him ;)

Yeh I mean I would like one but for that kind of money I wouldn't have to think twice about not bothering. They sound like great studio amps and the ''earliest'' looking model seems great and looks smart.

Small valve amps should be accessible as that's kind of the point, if you're going to spend upwards to £500 on a small valve amp you're aren't buying a Marshall.

Yeh Justin Guitar is awesome.

Honestly I've been playing for ages & I'm very experienced and versatile, technically capable etc etc but I can learn from that site in many respects!

• 3 weeks later...

The music world wakes in sweaty anticipation this morning, as it transpired that The Great Me has decided to dust off his six-string and get back in the game. :razz:

Been pissing about with that Justin Guitar site for now to remind me of stuff (class site tbf, can't believe he does all that for free), and downloading some things to have a look at. Enjoying it so far, although I'd forgotten how much it mangles your fingers when you first start. Gonna get my electric guitar repaired this week cos the wiring is fucked, then give that Amplitube thing on the ipad a go. It's a different world now to when I first started playing cos of the wealth of stuff available on the internet.

Found out that my acoustic, which I bought for $200 new when I lived in America, is around £400 if you want one over here. :o

It's infectious as well - my mam was round yesterday, and I'm taking her to town this weekend to get an acoustic and she's gonna start learning in her 60s. :lol:

Justin still makes a decent amount out of his site. People make donations and he has all the material, plus extra stuff available on DVD/download. He's also doing some songbooks, I know he has finished the beginner's one (might be worth a look Gemmill), and he has loads of popular songs licensed for it. Then you have the book + the online videos to take you through the lessons.

I've got loads of tab books from when I used to play before (played solidly from being 14 to about 19 or 20, iirc). I've gone straight to the intermediate stuff, and a lot of that I'm skipping, although there's a lot of good stuff that I've been reminded of and some theory stuff I never bothered with in the past.

There's a very good iPad app called songster that's great. Thousands of songs of tab, and you can pick the different parts that are being played and slow them down etc.

I hope he is making decent money from the site, cos there's a ton of decent free stuff on there.

I saw him talking about the site and he says he makes a decent amount, but living in London it's stretched out. He gets plenty of work though, was a session musician and played with Katie Melua's band (I guess the free stuff makes up for contributing to that going in my ears).

When you say you played solidly from 14 to 20, how solid are we talking? Did you practice a every day? How are your chops now, after a 30 year break (sorry, I don't know how old you are)?

The music world wakes in sweaty anticipation this morning, as it transpired that The Great Me has decided to dust off his six-string and get back in the game. :razz:

Been pissing about with that Justin Guitar site for now to remind me of stuff (class site tbf, can't believe he does all that for free), and downloading some things to have a look at. Enjoying it so far, although I'd forgotten how much it mangles your fingers when you first start. Gonna get my electric guitar repaired this week cos the wiring is fucked, then give that Amplitube thing on the ipad a go. It's a different world now to when I first started playing cos of the wealth of stuff available on the internet.

Found out that my acoustic, which I bought for $200 new when I lived in America, is around £400 if you want one over here. :o

It's infectious as well - my mam was round yesterday, and I'm taking her to town this weekend to get an acoustic and she's gonna start learning in her 60s. :lol:

Look forward to your warblings. :)

I saw him talking about the site and he says he makes a decent amount, but living in London it's stretched out. He gets plenty of work though, was a session musician and played with Katie Melua's band (I guess the free stuff makes up for contributing to that going in my ears).

When you say you played solidly from 14 to 20, how solid are we talking? Did you practice a every day? How are your chops now, after a 30 year break (sorry, I don't know how old you are)?

Played every day probably from 14 to 17 or something like that. Then used to get stuck in ruts where I used to pick it up and just bore myself by playing the same stuff. I'm hoping it'll be easier to get out of those ruts this time, cos of all the stuff available online.

I was never amazing in the first place tbh. Was fortunate in that I'm left handed but play right handed, so used to pick things up easily cos my strong hand was my fretting hand, but that was about it.

16 year break btw. :razz:

Did you ever play with other musicians? I've never known any other musicians who were willing to jam unfortunately. I think that's where the true fun is in music, and also it's the best way to improve yourself, especially if you can play with musicians who are more advanced than you. Personally I'm having to pretty much stop practicing, I can't practice every day now between work and reading in my free time.

Not sure you could call them musicians like, but was in the odd band in my teens. All shit though cos we were all just learning.

There's so many of these jamtrax things knocking about these days that you can piss about with. Not the same as human interaction, granted.

Agree that the best way to improve is by jumping into the deep end of jamming and buskers night etc. As a general hobby though, just stick with the exercises and stuff you can find online. When I learned guitar, I basically looked at the chords to songs I wanted to play and when I encountered a chord, I didn't know, I spent a bit of time learning it. I just kept revisiting songs that way and I could probably play basic rhythm in a band. I've probably got a load of shit habits like.