Miserable Twat

Kid Dynamite

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/8349102.stm

Morrissey stopped a concert halfway through the second song after he was hit by a missile thrown from a member of the crowd in Liverpool.

The former frontman of Manchester band The Smiths was hit in the eye by a plastic drinks container during Black Cloud at the Liverpool Echo Arena.

The 50-year-old singer then said "goodnight" to the 8,000-strong crowd on Saturday and walked off.

The Arena manager said one fan had "ruined" the night for everyone else.

Morrissey had recently resumed his tour after collapsing three weeks ago.

He opened the concert with the words: "It's Saturday, it's Liverpool, it's raining, it's perfect", before launching into the Smiths' hit This Charming Man.

He's a 50-year-old man who has just been ill and he deserves better than that

Iain Kavanagh

Concert-goer

But when he moved to shake the hands of fans at the front, the container was hurled from the crowd.

When he walked off stage fans burst into chants of "Morrissey, Morrissey, Morrissey" in an effort to get the performance back on track.

But about five minutes later an announcement was made to a chorus of boos that he had been hit on the head and would not be resuming the concert.

Jay Silker, 27, from Mossley Hill, Liverpool, said: "If there's ever a singer who would not take kindly to a bottle being thrown at him, it's Morrissey."

Complaints

Merseyside Police have been informed about the incident, Echo Arena general manager Tim Banfield said.

"We are exceptionally disappointed that one individual should choose to recklessly cause the concert to be abandoned, ruining what should have been a brilliant night out for thousands of Morrissey fans.

"The Echo Arena team take great care to ensure the safety of visitors and artists at the venue."

Concert-goers have been advised to contact their ticket retailer to find out if they will get their money back.

Iain Kavanagh, 33, from Liverpool, said: "Some people were complaining afterwards because he's been in the game for years and he should be used to it by now.

"But he's a 50-year-old man who has just been ill and he deserves better than that."

Not sure why 7999 paying punters should miss out because of one idiot. Im sure he's not maimed

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Within his rights imo. Although I do think the concert goers should get a full refund.

Agree with this - refunds should be granted but Morrissey is within his rights to walk off. The crowd at the Echo Arena do seem to be closer to the stage that at other venues - certain a lot closer than the Metro Arena.

One of the lads at work reckons they saw him at the V Festival, came out to the mic and said "I can smell burning flesh, I'm off...."

Did he seriously expect them to do away with all the burger vans just to appease him? :razz:

If it was a bottle full of liquid then fair enough, if it was a plastic pint glass then I've seen many performers just laugh that off as part of life.

Might be some Manc/Scouse antipathy as well but I would have thought he would have been above that.

tbh I saw Johnny Lydon (Rotten) with PiL in the late 80s and the first thing he did was walk out to the mic and whine, [highpitchedvoice] If anyone gobs on me then I'm off, you fucking cunts [/highpitchedvoice]

Then throughout the gig he kept complaining that people were gobbin' at him.

I don't know where he thought he was but it was 12 years and a world away from where he thought he was.

:lol: A fucking purple poppy man, FFS

I don't see anything wrong with it to be honest.

Is the purple one the one for animals? If so he deserves something bigger than a bottle thrown at him. Maybe a cow.