Tipping

Renton

I like it when you're at a restaurant with a large enough group of people for them to stick an automatic 12.5% service charge on the bill. Thereby, in some people's minds anyway, negating the need for them to actually provide you with any kind of decent service. ;)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it when you're at a restaurant with a large enough group of people for them to stick an automatic 12.5% service charge on the bill.

I don't really understand the logic of this rule.

Surely it's easier to serve one table of eight than four tables of two?

I like it when you're at a restaurant with a large enough group of people for them to stick an automatic 12.5% service charge on the bill. Thereby, in some people's minds anyway, negating the need for them to actually provide you with any kind of decent service. ;)

Not only that but they quite often will also try and stick a few things on the bill that you didn't order.

Restaurant somewhere between 5 & 10%

Pub lunch a quid

Hair Cut - Nothing unless its xmas and then I give about £2 and tell the lass to buy herself a drink while she's out

Taxi - Never unless its to the airport and then maybe a couple of quid if they've been good crack

Never even considered tipping the bin men until now

Takeaway gets zero tip seeing as they are already charging me a quid for delivery even though I live a couple of streets away

Bog Trolls get nothing. WTF shoudl I pay to wash my hands? In fact I refuse to wash my hands and put my piss mits all over the door handle in protest

I think tipping is massively overrated, too much embarrasment to not give someone money on top of the bill for serving you... load of bollocks to me. I paid for the service already so i'll be fucked i'm paying again.

Nor me. I assume it ties in with what Alex says, if you're out with a big group then you'll probably just divvy the bill up equally without looking too closely at what you're paying for. And nobody wants to be the one who rocks the boat by pointing out how shite the service actually may have been. ;)

I like it when you're at a restaurant with a large enough group of people for them to stick an automatic 12.5% service charge on the bill.

One table of eight prefer being served altogether though. 4 tables of 2 are far easier to cater to one after the other without one of them going hungry/unwatered.

Restaurants I round up to the nearest palindrome just to be smart. ;)

Taxis I usually rounded up to the nearest note value (or a couple of quid thrown in if the cost is close to that already) if I don't think I'm being mugged off. If the price is ridiculously over the top or they've gone round the houses to get me there then I'll wait around for my change.

Takeaways (like taxi's) get rounded up to the nearest note value too (or a couple of quid thrown in as per taxis), unless they've taken longer than they specified over the phone to deliver.

Never see the postie so he/she never gets a tip, not that they deserve one mind, putting parcels in the recycling bin and not shoving a card through door to let me know. Or even leaving them outside the front door in torrential rain!

Bin men get diddly squat. If they insist on leaving my bin half way up the street then bollocks to them I say.

Loo attendants get fuck all too. I'm quite capable of putting soap on my hands and grabbing some tissue to dry them afterwards thanks all the same.

One table of eight prefer being served altogether though. 4 tables of 2 are far easier to cater to one after the other without one of them going hungry/unwatered.

from previous experience HF is right, big tables are a pain in the arse compared to smaller ones even if, by the end of the night, you've had the same number of people through

Pub lunch a quid

Hair Cut - Nothing unless its xmas and then I give about £2 and tell the lass to buy herself a drink while she's out

Taxi - Never unless its to the airport and then maybe a couple of quid if they've been good crack

Takeaway gets zero tip seeing as they are already charging me a quid for delivery even though I live a couple of streets away

Bog Trolls get nothing. WTF shoudl I pay to wash my hands? In fact I refuse to wash my hands and put my piss mits all over the door handle in protest

I think tipping is massively overrated, too much embarrasment to not give someone money on top of the bill for serving you... load of bollocks to me. I paid for the service already so i'll be fucked i'm paying again.

where do you get your haircut? 1995?

£2 wouldn't get a ficking Blue WKD these days!

Pub lunch a quid

where do you get your haircut? 1995?

£2 wouldn't get a ficking Blue WKD these days!

Haha that place on Grainger street next to Grainger Games... Hair Express I think its called these days.

When they're charging £20 just for a cut then they can bugger off if they think they're getting a good tip.

Fairs fair though the bird has been doing my hair for years so I might give her £3 this year ;)

• 4 years later...

Rarely ever see my postman/bin man as I am normally at work when they come.

Slightly amused by the idea of a postman going round on his bike with numerous bottles of wine that people have given to him though :lol:

Edited by Gejon

Once upon a time people might tip binmen as they'd come up your path and grab a metal bin full of rubbish and carry it to the wagon. Now, if the plastic bin with wheels on isn't touching the street pavement they don't want to know, even if the bin is a couple of feet on the drive. My tip for them would be to wear full padding if I ever buy an airgun.