Sol Campbell

Dr Gloom

is training with arsenal at the moment. wenger told a mate of mine that he's off to newcastle.

what are everyone's thoughts - good news? bad news? i guess it opens the way to get collocini's massive wages off our books. but surely sol will command a hefty bunce too? and isn't this signing about 5 years too late? he'll probably do a job in the championship

I've heard Campbell, Kilgallon and Cleverly from Man U who's on loan at Watford and getting rave reviews.

Campbell is a mental case and I wouldn't have him near the club for fear of his disruptive effect ruining a very competent back four.

Kilgallon is half decent but would be swapping first team for bench imo

Cleverly looks good and as he's out of contract he wouldn't be the excessively expensive young English player

Trouble is if either of the first two come in I'd see it as green lighting the departure of Coloccini or Taylor

I thought Cleverly was a central midfielder, and if that's the case I can't see him usurping Smith or Nolan.

I honestly don't think Taylor will want to leave. As it is he'll be confident about us getting back into the Premier League next season. If he was to go to a top half of the premiership team he'd struggle to get a start. If he was to go to a bottom half side there's every chance he could be relegated again, so he'd much rather ride this season out with us and then face the prospect of relegation with us the following year :razz: (Not that I think we'll be relegated IF we are promoted - the power of positive thinking).

Coloccini has been playing well this season and has his confidence back. At the start of last season for us he was quite decent, fell off horribly late in the season when his confidence was shot. Though confidence has nothing to do with his complete lack of pace..

From .com:

Chris keeping his options open - for now

Asked on Thursday about the club's transfer plans for next month - and in particular Sol Campbell - United boss Chris Hughton commented that:

“Sol is a wonderful player and I’m quite sure come January he’ll be playing his football somewhere. We’re not prepared to rule it out, because he’s a player who would be available.

“Sol is an absolute top, top defender. That’s reason why he has achieved what he has achieved, the amount of England caps, the silverware. From his formative years at Spurs I know that he’s a top, top defender. And I think that shows by his achievements.

“I spent many years with him at Spurs, he’s a good individual, very dedicated. The biggest stumbling block is options. He might already have something lined up, I really don’t know.

“It’s two ways. I’m sure he’ll have options and we’ve got to make sure we focus on the options we have. Once it’s determined the player we would want to go for, it’s about getting that player, but nothing is guaranteed. There are targets that we have in that position, but you don’t know whether you’ll get them.

“We have no interest in players leaving this club in the window. The only thing we’re interested in is making sure we’ve got a squad at the end of it which is good enough to go through the rest of the season.”

However the player himself also spoke on Thursday, to say that:

"I have a few clubs tabling offers at the moment, but one of them doesn’t seem to be Newcastle now.”

While Hughton was as neutral as usual, Campbell's comment would seem to back up claims that Sheffield United defender Matthew Kilgallon is our main defensive transfer target - and ten years younger than Campbell.

So, to put it more succinctly Chris, "No".

Campbell is ok but i agree with what fish says about the guys mentality, he could possibly upset the apple cart if things didnt go his way.

I dont necessarily think if he and or kilgallon came in it would mean a departure is imminent but if one was likely to be open to the idea it would definatly be coloccini. He would welcome a move back to spain with open arms.

Cleverley looks a very very good prospect, him and that lansbury kid who on loan from arsenal at watford too...id like to see us get this cleverley lad but again i tend to agree with the point fish made that its unlikely he would oust either smith or nolan or maybe even guthrie out of the side. That move though, could actually spell a departure though...Nolan to Everton and we prise Cleverley from Watford???

Hmmm

Edited by Geordie Lad...

I wouldn't have purely because of the way he formed this sentence...

"I have a few clubs tabling offers at the moment, but one of them doesn’t seem to be Newcastle now.”

Caulkin in the Times seems to think Pancrate and Robert are

mates and that the latter would like to come back.

Hear that Gemmil? Larry's coming back! :razz:

Hear that Gemmil? Larry's coming back! ;)

Christ, imagine how lazy he is now.

As it stands Khisinisvilli and Simpson are due to go back to their clubs in Jan so getting in some cover is important. It might not necessarily mean that Colo/Taylor are out the door.

From the .com piece Kilgallon looks the more likely.

As for Robert, Fuck right off.

Hear that Gemmil? Larry's coming back! :(

Ashley really would be turning the fucking knife with that one.... ;)

Hear that Gemmil? Larry's coming back! :o

Ashley really would be turning the fucking knife with that one.... :(

I'd have his brother, but Laurent is too over the hill now. ;)

What a winger Robert was though, magic player (at times). Remember when he destroyed Spurs with his beauties.

Lazy fucker. He has 1 outstanding game in 10. Some excellent set peices and could whip in a cracking ball. But would he fuck work for the team.

Cleverley looks a very very good prospect, him and that lansbury kid who on loan from arsenal at watford too...id like to see us get this cleverley lad but again i tend to agree with the point fish made that its unlikely he would oust either smith or nolan or maybe even guthrie out of the side. That move though, could actually spell a departure though...Nolan to Everton and we prise Cleverley from Watford???

Hmmm

I don't know what his natural position is, but i read in the chronicle that Wayford play him wide left and wide right and that he's a left footer who is also good cutting in when he plays on the right.

If it turns out he's actually a central midfielder then the guy can play anywhere in midfield and seems like a very good one to try and get here.

What a winger Robert was though, magic player (at times). Remember when he destroyed Spurs with his beauties.

Lazy fucker. He has 1 outstanding game in 10. Some excellent set peices and could whip in a cracking ball. But would he fuck work for the team.

When he was good, he was very very good and when he was bad he was absent.

when he could be arsed though... Fuck me could that boy play.

Campbell's a nutjob, I'd only bother with him if we were losing one of our main defenders in January. Still, like Jimbo said it looks like he's off to help out Man Utd, the Arsenal fans will love that :lol:

He's not just Taylor "I'll pretend I've been shot" mental, he's proper mental and I'd rather he not get anywhere near this club.

But you'd have Robert back? Now that is mental.