Newcastle United vs Middlesbrough

Tom

0,,10278~134156,00.gif V ICI_animation.gif

Team News

Newcastle's Andy Carroll misses out through suspension after he picked up his fifth booking of the season.Danny Guthrie, who missed last week's match with Barnsley, is fit again.

Middlesbrough have problems in defence as Sean St. Ledger's loan spell has ended and Seb Hines suffered a serious injury in a reserve match in midweek.

Adam Johnson is likely to miss out as he has a hamstring injury, but skipper Gary O'Neill is set to return.

Match Preview

The last time these two rivals clashed back in May in the Premier League, Newcastle's empathic 3-1 win at a euphoric St James' Park looked to be enough to keep the Geordies up and send Boro down.

Of course things panned out badly for both clubs and now, as Championship sides, their seasons are panning out differently than many thought they might.

Newcastle, the perennial crisis club who seemingly lurch from one disaster to another, sit serenely at the top of the league with a rock solid defence and a free scoring attack. The appointment of Chris Hughton as manager seems to have made all the difference.

In the past it has been Middlesbrough that has provided the benchmark of stability, but this season things have been decidedly rocky at the Riverside. They are only three points off the play-offs, but Gordon Strachan's tenure as Boro boss has reaped only one win from seven matches.

Head-to-head

• This is their first league meeting outside the top flight in 18 years.

• Middlesbrough have drawn four and lost one of their last five games against Newcastle, and have not beaten them since a 1-0 triumph at the Riverside in October 2006 when Yakubu scored five minutes from time.

• The Magpies have only lost one of the last 14 matches in all competitions at St James' Park against Middlesbrough, a 2-1 loss in March 2001.

Newcastle

• The Magpies are chasing a fifth successive home win, and are defending the only surviving unbeaten home record in the Championship.

• The Tyneside club have the tightest defence in the league, having conceded only 12 goals in 21 games. They have not shipped more than two goals in any league match this term, and their three losses were all by a single goal.

Middlesbrough

• Five of the Teessiders' eight wins, 22 of their 30 goals scored and 18 out of their 29 points have been gained on the road.

• Middlesbrough have only won one match since Gordon Strachan took over, a 5-1 away victory at QPR.

Newcastles-Kevin-Nolan-ce-001.jpg

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a typical thick Middlesbrough fan. If the standard of my English was as poor as this I wouldn't disgrace myself on the worldwideweb to be quite frankm but this epitomises the people of the area, they think we care and notice them, if they went down again I wouldn't notice, if they won the league I'd say well done, not many clubs in Britain are more insignificant in my view.

http://www.fansonline.net/middlesbrough/mb....php?id=1601931

The_Dude Posted on 18/12/2009 16:12

[V]have they actually decided to support their team who havent won anything since the jurrasic period, or are they still turning up to show how fat and obese they are and to shout 'ashley out' for the entire length of the game, thinking there suddenly world beaters again cos they won a few games 1-0 against watford etc

not usually a derby, but then suddenly a derby when they are either above us in the league, or have recently beaten us

no doubt, if boro win, it will revert back to being not a derby and nobody cares aboot burragh etc

lowest IQ of any fan in britain, and its been scientifically proven

They had that Cleveland Child Abuse Scandal with Marietta Higgs, and there's no smoke without fire that's all I can say.

Anyway, in general despicable people who have every bit as much to say about us as the mackems, the difference being at least they mackems can vaguely say they're close to being on our level historically as a club, and very loosely as a fanbase.

What always amuses me about Boro is they think they count. I think a good barometer of how we feel about various clubs is measured by the atmosphere in SJP. Clubs we respect there's normally a good atmosphere, of the big clubs the atmospheres against Arsenal over the last 10 years are generally absolutely outstanding, and of course Sunderland is more often than not electric. However, if you were to rank the atmospheres in a season at SJP, normally Boro would be about 15th or 16th, we never seem that up for it, expect to win, a bit like Man Utd playing Bury. They do not count, never will, I can't even bring myself to have any form of vitriol to them, they're too insignificant, horrible people in general, but you have to remember they are products of their environment, and display victim like tendencies the scousers do and with good reason. Lets not beat about the bush the focus on Teesside in terms of investment, media interest and government funding is lets say minimal compared to Tyneside. I think I'd be fucked off if we almost didn't exist like them too, but ultimately terrible people, woeful area - you come down tha A19 and you get over that hill about 15 mile away, and all you can see right across the horizon is one of Britain's ugliest sights. Ultimately if you listen to Century though and the three legends, there's a disproportionate amount of Boro get on they have lots to say about us, but frankly if the President of Fiji called Gordon Brown a cunt would he care? All their area is known nationally is child abuse and smog, give me fat cunts, brown ale, Shearer and Gazza anyday.

We'll win 1-0 I think anyway, I'm not sure they have the character to win here their kids, they've displayed no evidence of its so far anyway.

1) What will the outcome of the match be? 3-1 Newcastle

2) Which player should we fear most? Brad Jones, he`ll make you laugh so much it could be fatal.

3) Which player do you fear most? Kevin Nolan

4) Who is your worst player? Osbourne. You might ask , Who?...exactly would be our reply.

5) Who do you judge our worst player to be? Don`t know, don`t take a massive interest in yas if I`m honest.

6) Which player should we look out for in the future? Adam Johnson.

7) Where do you think you will finish this season? 16th

8 ) Where do you think Newcastle will finish this season? Champions

9) What do you think the Future holds for both clubs? Newcastle to float in the EPL for a few years and then build into a better team. Middlesbrough to flounder in the Championship and possibly worse for the forseeable future.

The hips will be in attendance. Despite my personal ban on lining LardAsh's pockets, one of my offspring has bought me a ticket as part of my Christmas pressie. Some Rebel!!!!

This has defeat written all over it. NUFC unbeaten in ages, smogs playing, largely, shite. Possibly a record attendance for the Championship. Live on tv.

it is comical the way the boro absolutely despise us and we couldn't give a toss. Saying that I hate losing them and hope we stuff them!

442 magazine once wrote an article on the tyne wear derby and had a cracking quote about middlesbrough, One shared by Geordies and Mackems alike:

"Boro are like a stone in your shoe, irritating but of little consequence"

Unfortunately I have a horrible feeling and think we will lose :(

it is comical the way the boro absolutely despise us and we couldn't give a toss. Saying that I hate losing them and hope we stuff them!

442 magazine once wrote an article on the tyne wear derby and had a cracking quote about middlesbrough, One shared by Geordies and Mackems alike:

"Boro are like a stone in your shoe, irritating but of little consequence"

Unfortunately I have a horrible feeling and think we will lose :(

not a chance in hell of that happening.

MIDDLESBROUGH have never been important - a victory over them is never celebrated any differently to Coventry or Burnley being beaten. Not being unduly disrespectful, thats just the way it is.

Not even beating Barcelona 3-2 was better than beating Sunderland 2-0 under Keegan. They are without doubt the biggest game in the league for us when we are in the same division. Bigger than Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea etc. Nothing compares to beating them in a derby - its just as important to us as it is to them.

Taking the animosity of our rivalry out of the equation, Sunderland were at least the equal of Newcastle until they first got relegated in the late 50's. From then on, it was a yo-yo existence whereas we were quite consistent - never doing very much, but managing to retain top flight membership for most of the the time between late 50's and now. In very few of those seasons have Sunderland been on a par with us but whenever they play us it was always the big one. Sorry Boro, you really have meant nothing all the way through your existence, and never will.

2-0 tomorrow.

Game is on ESPN360, for those of us in the states... 7am (CST) start.

5 o'clock in the fucking morning for me numb-nuts, (PST) :(

You should phone CID up with the score and get him to stick a bet on. You could split the winnings.

Historically Speaking: United Front

There's an excellent book on the fortunes of the Toon which sums up the fans' philosophy. It's called 50 Years of Hurt. It does show that not all Toon fans are the delusional marketing fodder who gather outside their shrine every time another new messiah is appointed (having earlier gathered to see off the last one). It reminds people (except the ever-selective national press) that the full stadium with its waiting list is very much a recent phenomenon.

So let's bust a few myths.

Article continues

Advertisement

The average gate the season before Kevin Keegan was 16,000. More people watched Boro play Newcastle at Ayresome Park in 1990-91 than at St James' in both league and the two-legged League Cup games.

Tyne and Wear has 1.1 million people, Northumberland has 311,000, County Durham 508,000 (excluding Darlington, Stockton and Hartlepool). That's nearly two million people on whom Newcastle and Sunderland can draw. And there are no other clubs. Durham City, Gateshead, South Shields and Ashington have all long since left the league.

The whole of Teesside has a population of 660,000 - that includes Darlington, Hartlepool and all those who support others in Billingham. Even if you throw in Whitby, Northallerton, Stokesley, Great Ayton and at a push Thirsk, that's only another 30,000 or so. Most of the population in this part of North Yorkshire is at Catterick Camp - West Ham-supporting squaddies, or Man Utd fans on exchange from Muscat, Mumbai or Mombasa.

It still means this area has about a third of that population, and three clubs to serve.

The game most fans will recall, and recoil from, is of course the defining one at the end of last season. Who can forget the "flowing, attacking football" that Geordie fans demand as Nicky Butt grabbed Matthew Bates giving Steven Taylor a free header for the equaliser. Or the way Obafemi Martins climbed (in the Hillary and Tensing sense) on top of the defence to head the second, while also being two yards offside?

This is an official site, not a supporters forum, the official Middlesbrough website :(

Incredibly small time. Their own website mentioning our lowest ever average gate in a season of boycot, to pacify their own insecurities about a club who have one of the shittest supports in English football. You really could not make that up <_< pmsl Parts of Northumberland are 60 miles away from Newcastle, so I presume that Leeds falls within Boro's catchment area by the same argument, what a bunch of twats from top to bottom but as accadacca says most of us don't celebrate a victory against Boro with any more vigour than a win over Derby or West Brom.

It's not even factually correct which emphasises the bitterness - County Durham 508,000 (excluding Darlington, Stockton and Hartlepool). - really a quick look at wiki reveals that 508,000 includes these towns, taking them out of the equation that is 150,000 plus Tyne and Wear 1m and 300,000 in Northumberland. So why would they add 500,000 on for us and the mackems??? As I said it's the most small time thing I've ever seen on an official club website, and emphasises how mickey mouse this club truly are.

I'd just like to say that I do celebrate victories over the smogs more than I do over Derby or Stoke. The smogs are like an annoying little dog that keeps wanting to shag your leg - until you give it that self-satisfying boot away.

Agreed, I mean they're not a derby but it does feel satisfying to beat them, probably because they think it's a derby and it's a big game to them.

I'd just like to say that I do celebrate victories over the smogs more than I do over Derby or Stoke. The smogs are like an annoying little dog that keeps wanting to shag your leg - until you give it that self-satisfying boot away.

Alarmingly, I agree. :(

4-1 win today.