The iPad thread

ChezGiven

I played with the i-pad in the apple store earlier. Looks sexy but im sticking by my original statement that it doesn't fit.

Iphone and MacBook will suffice for me.

Needs to be more object orientated ie killer ap for my money. If the piano keyboard could talk to synths for instance.

osc and ableton live (via max for live) works for me only bummer is (as you would expect) the keyboards are not velocity sensitive. good for sliders and panning and such like.... you need a router though but works at home for me....

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I promise not to kill myself: Apple factory workers 'asked to sign pledge'

Apple manufacturer Foxconn was today taking extraordinary measures to safeguard its business and workers following a spate of suicides at its sprawling plant in southern China.

Workers have reportedly been told to sign letters promising not to kill themselves and even agree to be institutionalised if they appeared to be in an "abnormal mental or physical state for the protection of myself and others".

Nets were also reportedly being hung around buildings to deter suicidal employees.

The moves came after a 19-year-old employee fell to his death at the Shenzhen factory on Tuesday -- the ninth apparent suicide at the enormous site this year.

The deaths have raised questions about the conditions for millions of factory workers in China, especially at Foxconn, where labour activists and employees say long hours, low pay and high pressure are the norm.

Terry Gou, the chairman of Foxconn's Taiwanese parent company Hon Hai Precision, flew into the booming city of Shenzhen aboard his private jet today with reporters, urging the media to see the factory for themselves.

Labour activists in nearby Hong Kong yesterday called for a boycott of the next generation of Apple's iPhone, which is assembled by Foxconn, days ahead of the international launch of the iPad.

The Taiwanese technology giant, which also boasts Dell and Hewlett-Packard among its clients, has defended its practices and Gou on Monday said he was not running "blood and sweat factories".

"You know, Hon Hai has more than 800,000 workers worldwide, and it's not easy to manage such a large team," he said.

But workers spoke of long hours, harsh supervisors and low pay.

A 21-year-old employee from southern Guangxi province told the South China Morning Post how she worked 12-hours a day, six days a week.

"The atmosphere inside our workplaces is so tight and depressing that we're not allowed to speak to each other for 12 hours or you'll be reproached by your supervisors.

Another worker, from central Hunan province, complained that the assembly line moved too fast and she had to check thousands of mainboards for electronic gadgets every day.

The 22-year-old's monthly salary, including overtime, was only 2000 yuan ($300) -- about the same as the US price of a 32GB iPhone.

"I feel like I have an empty life and work like a machine," she told the paper.

Foxconn is taking bizarre action to try to prevent further suicides -- by getting staff to sign a letter promising not to kill themselves, according to Taiwan's CTI cable TV channel.

Roof patrols were also being arranged and nets installed around buildings to deter suicidal workers, it added.

"If they jump, they'll fall into the safety nets, so their lives will be saved," a contractor told the channel.

The Guangzhou-based Southern Metropolis Daily newspaper today published a photo of a memo with a Foxconn letterhead that it said all employees were being asked to sign.

The letter instructed employees to report to a supervisor or seek medical help if they experience any difficulties or frustration.

"I promise never to hurt myself or others in an extreme manner," said a pledge section of the letter.

The letter also contained a section asking employees to allow the company to send them to a medical institution if they appeared to be in an "abnormal mental or physical state for the protection of myself and others".

One Foxconn worker told the newspaper he refused to sign because the company was seeking the right to institutionalise employees.

"If I bicker with my supervisor, will I be sent to a mental hospital?" the employee told the paper.

But there was no shortage of people trying to get through the factory gates. Around 8,000 people apply to work at the factory every day, Foxconn spokesman Liu Kun told the state-run China Daily newspaper.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technolog...00526-wddd.html

651.gif

Edited by Happy Face

I promise not to kill myself: Apple factory workers 'asked to sign pledge'

Apple manufacturer Foxconn was today taking extraordinary measures to safeguard its business and workers following a spate of suicides at its sprawling plant in southern China.

Workers have reportedly been told to sign letters promising not to kill themselves and even agree to be institutionalised if they appeared to be in an "abnormal mental or physical state for the protection of myself and others".

Nets were also reportedly being hung around buildings to deter suicidal employees.

The moves came after a 19-year-old employee fell to his death at the Shenzhen factory on Tuesday -- the ninth apparent suicide at the enormous site this year.

The deaths have raised questions about the conditions for millions of factory workers in China, especially at Foxconn, where labour activists and employees say long hours, low pay and high pressure are the norm.

Terry Gou, the chairman of Foxconn's Taiwanese parent company Hon Hai Precision, flew into the booming city of Shenzhen aboard his private jet today with reporters, urging the media to see the factory for themselves.

Labour activists in nearby Hong Kong yesterday called for a boycott of the next generation of Apple's iPhone, which is assembled by Foxconn, days ahead of the international launch of the iPad.

The Taiwanese technology giant, which also boasts Dell and Hewlett-Packard among its clients, has defended its practices and Gou on Monday said he was not running "blood and sweat factories".

"You know, Hon Hai has more than 800,000 workers worldwide, and it's not easy to manage such a large team," he said.

But workers spoke of long hours, harsh supervisors and low pay.

A 21-year-old employee from southern Guangxi province told the South China Morning Post how she worked 12-hours a day, six days a week.

"The atmosphere inside our workplaces is so tight and depressing that we're not allowed to speak to each other for 12 hours or you'll be reproached by your supervisors.

Another worker, from central Hunan province, complained that the assembly line moved too fast and she had to check thousands of mainboards for electronic gadgets every day.

The 22-year-old's monthly salary, including overtime, was only 2000 yuan ($300) -- about the same as the US price of a 32GB iPhone.

"I feel like I have an empty life and work like a machine," she told the paper.

Foxconn is taking bizarre action to try to prevent further suicides -- by getting staff to sign a letter promising not to kill themselves, according to Taiwan's CTI cable TV channel.

Roof patrols were also being arranged and nets installed around buildings to deter suicidal workers, it added.

"If they jump, they'll fall into the safety nets, so their lives will be saved," a contractor told the channel.

The Guangzhou-based Southern Metropolis Daily newspaper today published a photo of a memo with a Foxconn letterhead that it said all employees were being asked to sign.

The letter instructed employees to report to a supervisor or seek medical help if they experience any difficulties or frustration.

"I promise never to hurt myself or others in an extreme manner," said a pledge section of the letter.

The letter also contained a section asking employees to allow the company to send them to a medical institution if they appeared to be in an "abnormal mental or physical state for the protection of myself and others".

One Foxconn worker told the newspaper he refused to sign because the company was seeking the right to institutionalise employees.

"If I bicker with my supervisor, will I be sent to a mental hospital?" the employee told the paper.

But there was no shortage of people trying to get through the factory gates. Around 8,000 people apply to work at the factory every day, Foxconn spokesman Liu Kun told the state-run China Daily newspaper.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/technolog...00526-wddd.html

651.gif

Topic slightly broader than 'iPad' dont you think?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/0...trike-communist

Guest alex
Had some lovely tablet at a wedding this weekend. Family recipe apparently.

Fudge?

Only if you're buying the next round.

:o

Topic slightly broader than 'iPad' dont you think?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/0...trike-communist

I'm not one to start a new topic if I can cram it in another existing one.

Its probably worth its own thread since this is the beginning of the counter-balance seen after all economic growth spurts. Everyone invested in China as capital and labour were cheap, meaning we could generate low-priced consumer goods with high corporate profits. Now, after the economic growth associated with the massive investments in China, the people are becoming wealthier and you could even say 'enfranchised' (not quite yet but this is China). This movement will lead to rising labour costs, less certain future production costs, less investment, rising prices, decreased competitiveness and appreciation of the currency.

In short, its a paradigm shift in the global economy.

• 7 months later...

iPad 2, white or black, front facing and rear cameras, 33% slimmer, dual core processors, same battery life.

out in UK March 24.

20110302-10220289--img4542.jpg

Damn eBay!

Hopped on for a quick look and ended up winning a 32GB iPad (WiFi + 3G) with case, brand new, for £410 (well £417 if you include delivery). :(

Damn eBay!

Hopped on for a quick look and ended up winning a 32GB iPad (WiFi + 3G) with case, brand new, for £410 (well £417 if you include delivery). :(

"winning" :(

Get back to your treadmill Forrest.

Is it worth it Jamesbo?

Before I got my iPad I wasn't sure if it was a "want" rather than a "need", but I must admit it's been the best thing I've ever bought, the improvements they have made with the iPad 2 are just what it needed and have fixed the only complaints I had with mine, I couldn't recommend one highly enough, although I'd try and talk anyone out of getting the 16GB its just way too small.

Is it worth it Jamesbo?

Before I got my iPad I wasn't sure if it was a "want" rather than a "need", but I must admit it's been the best thing I've ever bought, the improvements they have made with the iPad 2 are just what it needed and have fixed the only complaints I had with mine, I couldn't recommend one highly enough, although I'd try and talk anyone out of getting the 16GB its just way too small.

Can you not just whack a 20gb usb stick in the side.

Is it worth it Jamesbo?

Nope cos then it would eat into Apple's computer sales. Tbh 64gb isn't big enough imo given that it's supposed to be about watching video etc.

I was looking at Apple TV this afternoon. What a shower of shit that is.

Is it worth it Jamesbo?

Nope cos then it would eat into Apple's computer sales. Tbh 64gb isn't big enough imo given that it's supposed to be about watching video etc.

I was looking at Apple TV this afternoon. What a shower of shit that is.

I don't disagree, although I think they are pushing the idea of streaming media rather than mass on board storage, apps like Netflix allow streaming and also linking with airplay to your iTunes library, but point taken about Apple TV, it looks turd, I'm running Netflix on my iPhone 4 and PS3 and it's fantastic ! only $8 a month for unlimited usage.

Don't get me wrong re iPads. They look great and I would love one to fuck about on the internet on and that, but if it's that great for watching movies on and that, give it a decent hard drive.

Apple TV on the other hand, is just a total abortion. It's compatible with about 3 video file formats and unless you're watching stuff you download direct from Apple, the UI is fucking awful. And it has max 720p output. I just don't get it.