What are you drinking?

Guest alex

Thanks for the heads up peeps. Got a free half dozen cases of it. It was either that or an Italian one. I'd back a German lager over an Italian one any day but just wanted to be sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Got Slack Alice's sisters to try tonight:

B00nTY4IcAAPO79.jpgB00Yvl3IcAAywe_.jpg

Both very nice but I can't help thinking Thundering Molly should be something I'm backing in the 3.20 at Doncaster rather than drinking it.

Last night I finished my Bushmills.

Anyone recommend a similar Whiskey?

Contrary to what TS said (I get the feeling he may have been taking the piss) Bushmills is more like Lowland Scotch in style than Irish whiskey so if you're after something similar then I'd go for Auchentoshan. That's if you were drinking the 10 year old malt. If it was the blended stuff then try Chivas Regal.

• 2 months later...

So I got bought copious amounts of red wine over Christmas (fair way through a bottle currently) and have startlingly begun to appreciate the differences between certain kinds. I'm not sure I ever thought I'd get to the level of wine snobbery required to do this, but there it is.

My favourite currently is Montepulciano. I think Italian reds seem to be my overall preference.

Also discovered Bourbon this winter, which was a joyous moment...

Barolo is my favourite Italian red. I also don't think just getting into wine is 'snobbery'. Appreciating a good game of football doesn't make you a football snob. Being a dick about it does. There's loads on here who appreciate a fine whisky but it's only snobbery if you turn your nose up at a blend and go on like you 'couldn't possibly' drink it. Learning about and appreciating wine is no different to preferring a craft beer to carling.

French wine is the best like ;)

What would you recommend from the French wines then?

And I agree on the snobbery, but I had the feeling that if I went on about it too much on here I'd get pulled up on it very quickly :lol:

I'll have a look out for a bottle of the Barolo anyway, not one that I've tried.

What would you recommend from the French wines then?

And I agree on the snobbery, but I had the feeling that if I went on about it too much on here I'd get pulled up on it very quickly :lol:

I'll have a look out for a bottle of the Barolo anyway, not one that I've tried.

You will get pulled on it but you can at least console yourself that i will get most of the grief. I really don't see the difference between liking and drinking decent beers instead of cheap mass produced brands and spending a bit extra on a bottle of vino.

Barolo is complex, it's made from the Nebbiolo grape which is thin skinned but produces a lot of tannin and due to the temperatures in Piedmont also a lot of fruit. Good to try one that has aged at least 3 years in oak before bottling.

It's closest cousin in France is Burgundy red wine as that's made from Pinot Noir which is a similar grape. Get an entry level (generic burgundy) from the supermarket for around £10 and you can drink it with anything from pasta to roast meats. Pay a little more (you might need to go to Majestic) and get a 'villages' which instead of being called 'burgundy' will have the name of the village on it. This is only step one on the journey :)

You will get pulled on it but you can at least console yourself that i will get most of the grief. I really don't see the difference between liking and drinking decent beers instead of cheap mass produced brands and spending a bit extra on a bottle of vino.

Barolo is complex, it's made from the Nebbiolo grape which is thin skinned but produces a lot of tannin and due to the temperatures in Piedmont also a lot of fruit. Good to try one that has aged at least 3 years in oak before bottling.

It's closest cousin in France is Burgundy red wine as that's made from Pinot Noir which is a similar grape. Get an entry level (generic burgundy) from the supermarket for around £10 and you can drink it with anything from pasta to roast meats. Pay a little more (you might need to go to Majestic) and get a 'villages' which instead of being called 'burgundy' will have the name of the village on it. This is only step one on the journey :)

Thanks for the input. I'll start looking into what you've said, quite fancy giving both a try - I enjoy beer too tbf, but red wine has particularly got me in the past year or so, all the more now I've been able to try multiple different kinds.

Normally I get it from either the wine section in Fenwicks or some of the standalone wine stores you get in small country towns. Clitheroe has a particularly good one (not that it's worth visiting for any other reason really - I go quite frequently though as my g/f's family live there).

I wouldn't say I have a preferred source as such, but you find much more variety in the smaller establishments than you would from supermarkets or anything like that. Anything closer to home that you'd recommend?

Edited by Rayvin

I live in Paris but when am home I tend to go to M&S if i am buying. Majestic have a Louis Latour 2012 Burgundy for 12.99, i think that would be very good. Bouchard Pere et Fils are another top producer for Burgundy. Your local merchants should have something like that. I find its best to set a budget and if your in a small retailer then chat to the staff and let them know you want to get to know a particular wine region, get them to chat around the choices then choose the one closest to the budget. Works well for me anyway.