What are you drinking?

Guest alex

i love a pinot noir from burgundy. i didn't like easy drinking red at all until i started going away on work trips with a french camera man. he opened my eyes to a whole new world of wine. the kind of bloke that will send a bottle back if it's not the vintage advertised on the menu. i thought i only liked crisp whites and punchy, full-bodied reds. turns out i'm actually a big fan of wines i never previously would have thought i liked, like riesling, pinot noir and a bunch of others.

Bushmills. ;)

Contrary to what TS said (I get the feeling he may have been taking the piss) Bushmills is more like Lowland Scotch in style than Irish whiskey so if you're after something similar then I'd go for Auchentoshan. That's if you were drinking the 10 year old malt. If it was the blended stuff then try Chivas Regal.

i love bushmills and auchentoshan, particularly as an opening dram of the night.

i love a pinot noir from burgundy. i didn't like easy drinking red at all until i started going away on work trips with a french camera man. he opened my eyes to a whole new world of wine. the kind of bloke that will send a bottle back if it's not the vintage advertised on the menu. i thought i only liked crisp whites and punchy, full-bodied reds. turns out i'm actually a big fan of wines i never previously would have thought i liked, like riesling, pinot noir and a bunch of others.

Its usually a frenchmen somewhere along the way who gets you into it. Mine is our lass's dad. He has 3 daughters who are not that interested in drinking. He struggled to get more than one bottle on the table at sunday lunch when i first met him because his wife and kids complained he drank too much. When i joined the family lunches, he was delighted to have someone who wanted to learn about wine (i.e. get pissed with him). He has taught me loads just by making me taste different things. Now we start with 2 bottles on the table for lunch and he uses me as an excuse. Its an arrangement both of us are happy with.

Not had a drink for 17 days, not through choice neither. Fucked. Desperate for a pint but can't.

how's it al going? have you had any news good or bad? fucked doesn't sound good. wishing you all the best with it

how's it al going? have you had any news good or bad? fucked doesn't sound good. wishing you all the best with it

I have 12 sessions of chemo over a year. I have them 5 days in a row once a month. I'm right in the middle of series 2, it's got me fucked to be honest, so tired and we're nearly at 3 weeks without a drink. Thanks for asking though Gloom, I'll be alright if my lass pipes down when I'm not resting in bed and Ashley gets his heart disease. I tell you what as well it's got my memory fucked, particularly short term.

Edited by McFaul

jesus, that sounds harsh mate. a year of treatment must be a physical and mental grind. i do not envy you at all right now. are they keeping you updated as to how the chemo is working as you go along with it? i guess all you can do is grit your teeth and try to hang on in there. hopefully there'll be light at the end of the tunnel before too long - good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Because you'd get a hangover from looking at it.

Always reminds me of when Del Boy asks for a brandy and the reply is something along the lines of "Armagnac ok?" to which he says "That'll do if you're out of brandy". :lol:

jesus, that sounds harsh mate. a year of treatment must be a physical and mental grind. i do not envy you at all right now. are they keeping you updated as to how the chemo is working as you go along with it? i guess all you can do is grit your teeth and try to hang on in there. hopefully there'll be light at the end of the tunnel before too long - good luck!

Aye they are. Every 3 month they scan my brain. Should be within 2 years at the latest before it comes back, but there's a chance it could be 10 or 20 years. Small chance but we'll see what happens. I've had 4 pints in 4 and a half weeks, so I can live without beer. The chemo is awful like, completely fucks me up, it's the worst thing. Even aside from that though, my feelings are canny bitter because I'm never that happy and I'm never that sad. It's clipped how I feel. I went to Newcastle v Chelsea, and walked out of the ground thinking where's my happiness gone? Normally I'd have been thinking about knocking one oot! Anyway 10 more month of chemo, then hopefully a lack of whinging for a while.

What sort of cycle are you on for the chemo Stevie? Is it once a month or fortnightly or something?

I have 3 of their tablets every day from a Monday to a Friday once a month. So 15 tablets then three weeks off. I've had two loads now and I'm having a years run with this, so I've got 10 months left. It's tough but there's no point whinging.

What's the crack with your job Stevie? Seems like you're not up to it and won't be for a while - do you get paid or anything?

I know it should be the least of your worries but it scared me last year when I was out of work how much something serious would screw me finance wise.

I'd be alright on that score now but it's certainly a concern for the future.

Aye they are. Every 3 month they scan my brain. Should be within 2 years at the latest before it comes back, but there's a chance it could be 10 or 20 years. Small chance but we'll see what happens. I've had 4 pints in 4 and a half weeks, so I can live without beer. The chemo is awful like, completely fucks me up, it's the worst thing. Even aside from that though, my feelings are canny bitter because I'm never that happy and I'm never that sad. It's clipped how I feel. I went to Newcastle v Chelsea, and walked out of the ground thinking where's my happiness gone? Normally I'd have been thinking about knocking one oot! Anyway 10 more month of chemo, then hopefully a lack of whinging for a while.

Darkside man. You shouldn't worry at all about whinging, particularly on here, if you need to sound off. it's a fucking hardcore thing to try to get through and speaking about it might help you on some level, you never know.

anyways, i reckon i speak for most on here when i say you should try and post more, if you feel up for it. this place misses your contributions.

Edited by Dr Gloom

I have 3 of their tablets every day from a Monday to a Friday once a month. So 15 tablets then three weeks off. I've had two loads now and I'm having a years run with this, so I've got 10 months left. It's tough but there's no point whinging.

Stay strong Stevie.

What's the crack with your job Stevie? Seems like you're not up to it and won't be for a while - do you get paid or anything?

I know it should be the least of your worries but it scared me last year when I was out of work how much something serious would screw me finance wise.

I'd be alright on that score now but it's certainly a concern for the future.

I'm getting nearly £400 a week off the government for my problems which isn't enough but is far more than I thought they'd give me. I'm not capable of working mentally at this point in time. It's not depression or owt bollocks like that, it's the holes in my brain, I have days where I'm as astute as I've ever been, then other days where I can't remember what I was thinking of 30 seconds ago. It's this chemo, it's fucking incredible, I thought it would be a piece of piss like the radiotherapy but it's not. My lass has saved me in many ways.

Darkside man. You shouldn't worry at all about whinging, particularly on here, if you need to sound off. it's a fucking hardcore thing to try to get through and speaking about it might help you on some level, you never know.

anyways, i reckon i speak for most on here when i say you should try and post more, if you feel up for it. this place misses your contributions.

Cheers Glooms, I'll be a righteous cheeky twat again some day soon.