What are you drinking?

Guest alex

Bar Loco used to La Toscana. One of those Italian restaurants (like erstwhile ‘Italia’ in Low Fell) that was all carafes of Chianti and plastic grapes on the wall. Where the waiters shouted at each other in Italian like everything was a major fucking drama. And where they prided themselves on being a proper ‘ristorante’ and didn’t sell pizza 

36 minutes ago, Alex said:

Mind the IRA used to occasionally meet in one of the snugs in The Crown in Belfast, according to legend. I’m not sure if the Guinness was really good or maybe they were just taking the piss 

Was it wyki’s builder who told you that? ;) 

• Haha 4

46 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Was it wyki’s builder who told you that? ;) 

That’s him. It took me about 5 minutes to work out what the fuck ‘the Croin’ was though ;) 

• Haha 5

• 5 weeks later...

Got asked to work today, expecting it to be driving. 
Nope- full warehouse stock-take. 

Since I can’t drive a forklift, didn’t have a scanner, and all the driving was covered, I was sent out to pick up the mid morning bacon butties order, but otherwise was like a spare dick at an orgy. 

All on double-time :lol:

So, picked up this at Aldi on the way home along with burger makings for tea tonight. 
IMG_1486.thumb.jpeg.387e667ccb511db5d7a9813f98ecdf02.jpeg

Its not a patch on a proper Belgian Trippel, but at £3:49 a 750ml bottle (6%), it’s perfectly neckable and not too bad at all. 

( Obviously, I got more than one- double time, double ale :lol:). 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Got asked to work today, expecting it to be driving. 
Nope- full warehouse stock-take. 

Since I can’t drive a forklift, didn’t have a scanner, and all the driving was covered, I was sent out to pick up the mid morning bacon butties order, but otherwise was like a spare dick at an orgy. 

All on double-time :lol:

So, picked up this at Aldi on the way home along with burger makings for tea tonight. 
IMG_1486.thumb.jpeg.387e667ccb511db5d7a9813f98ecdf02.jpeg

Its not a patch on a proper Belgian Trippel, but at £3:49 a 750ml bottle (6%), it’s perfectly neckable and not too bad at all. 

( Obviously, I got more than one- double time, double ale :lol:). 

See that red washer on the bottle cap? Keep those for MF jr. if he's still playing guitar. They make great makeshift guitar strap locks. 

• Haha 1

On 17/09/2023 at 03:32, sammynb said:

Shouldn't a triple be 8-9% though? You got ripped off MF, probably should bought yourself four of them to try to get the same effect.

It’s a good job they weren’t 8-9%

I was mildly buckled after two. :lol:

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Young Miss Fist asked Mrs. F. to get her some drinks to take to a party tonight. 

She’s previously taken fruit ciders, but said she didn’t fancy them tonight, but has no idea what else she’d like. 

Mrs. F. said “ Leave it to me petal. “

So, she’s off out with 4 cans of Pina Colada and 4 cans of Strawberry Daiquiri :lol:

I have buckets, hair bands and her Insta password ready and waiting for her return. 

• Haha 6

• 4 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’ve not been in for years. 

So its been all downhill for them since you stopped frequenting? For shame.

I get it though. Pub across the road from us is changing hands as its been struggling. I said "thats a shame" before remembering I've never actually been in. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Apparently the Maggy Bank is closing down. 

Used to be a decent pub and venue, but I’ve not been in for years. 

I was just thinking about the Maggy Bank the other day. I used to go there with my sister sometimes as she lived round the corner, but it was fairly grotty by then (before pandemic). Prior to this, about 20 years ago, I remember it was a great venue for live bands and had one of the first "gastro pub" food menus. What a shame. 

Where to go now for a drink in Shields? Bell and Bucket? Garricks head? Even the Mariner's arms has closed, the only pub to have a CT style sofa outside. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Renton said:

I was just thinking about the Maggy Bank the other day. I used to go there with my sister sometimes as she lived round the corner, but it was fairly grotty by then (before pandemic). Prior to this, about 20 years ago, I remember it was a great venue for live bands and had one of the first "gastro pub" food menus. What a shame. 

Where to go now for a drink in Shields? Bell and Bucket? Garricks head? Even the Mariner's arms has closed, the only pub to have a CT style sofa outside. 

Just walk to the Fish Quay instead

• 3 months later...

@PaddockLad if I remember correctly you are partial to a drop of Cuban rum. At the minute you can get Ron Santiago de Cuba 8 year old in Sainsbury’s for £21 (if you have a nectar card snd use it when you buy it). I was in there last night but just had a quick check and the offer is still in. Personally I would rank it slightly above Havana Clerb 7. Either way it’s a bargain at that price 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

@PaddockLad if I remember correctly you are partial to a drop of Cuban rum. At the minute you can get Ron Santiago de Cuba 8 year old in Sainsbury’s for £21 (if you have a nectar card snd use it when you buy it). I was in there last night but just had a quick check and the offer is still in. Personally I would rank it slightly above Havana Clerb 7. Either way it’s a bargain at that price 

Obligatory "Johnnie Walker Black is £22 at Morrisons". Just incase anyone needs to know which supermarket I've favoured this week.

And I fucking hate Morrisons fwiw.

• Haha 1

I got some Lucky Saint alcohol free the other week. Must say it's bloody good. 

We went away for a weekend a few week ago and I asked in the hotel restaurant what alcohol free they had. Selection was shit but they had a alcohol free Gin. Thought why not try it and it was bloody good. So bought a bottle of it. It's New London Light. Highly recommend. 

37 minutes ago, Alex said:

That will be done, cheers Alex :) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

If you're all drinking that I'll have a glass of evaporated water. 

I reckon if you gave it a stupid name and pitched it right you could sell dehydrated water. 

• Haha 2

I remember there was a fad in the 80s of people selling "bottled air from New York" and such exotic places, and mugs actually bough t them. 

You can still get similar. 

Screenshot_20240209_222213_Google.thumb.jpg.56d42d33083c21214fa93d2ec8291559.jpg

And, bottled air from each of the UK countries. The cost? £100!

Screenshot_20240209_222419_Chrome.thumb.jpg.69ccf4d0a473c8f5f9988a84317cdbd1.jpg

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Renton said:

I remember there was a fad in the 80s of people selling "bottled air from New York" and such exotic places, and mugs actually bough t them. 

You can still get similar. 

Screenshot_20240209_222213_Google.thumb.jpg.56d42d33083c21214fa93d2ec8291559.jpg

And, bottled air from each of the UK countries. The cost? £100!

Screenshot_20240209_222419_Chrome.thumb.jpg.69ccf4d0a473c8f5f9988a84317cdbd1.jpg

Like I said - dehydrated water. 

• Haha 1