who do you think will cut it in the premiership?

Dr Gloom

Anyone who thinks we are going to do any better than get arse raped everyweek without changing the entire midfield and forwards is in for a big shock.

That positive outlook didn't last long. Wouldn't have thought you'd be so supportive off Mike this last few weeks if you don't think ANY of his January signings are close to good enough.

you misunderstand

January was about getting us promoted. The summer dealings will be about keeping us up.

I have every confidence this will be sorted in the summer.

My negativity is in the current midfield and srikers to do well in the prem.

You think Ashley will buy better strikers and midfielders across the board...even though he's reported to be offering the players we have reduced rate contract extensions?

Unbelievable Geoff.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who thinks we are going to do any better than get arse raped everyweek without changing the entire midfield and forwards is in for a big shock.

That positive outlook didn't last long. Wouldn't have thought you'd be so supportive off Mike this last few weeks if you don't think ANY of his January signings are close to good enough.

I suppose the advantage of contradicting yourself so often is that you can't always be wrong ;)

Our squad isn't that bad and with a few additions could compete with at least half the Premiership;

Birmingham, Stoke City, Blackburn, Sunderland, Bolton, Wigan, West Ham, Wolves, Burnley, Hull City, Portsmouth, Forrest, WBA

GK: Harper, Krul, Forster (loan out)

RB: Need 1st teamer, S.taylor (cover), Simpson (emergency)

LB: Jose, need backup, kadar (loan out with clause to recall)

CB: Colo, S.Taylor, Williamson (backup), kadar (loan out with clause to recall)

RM: routledge, need backup

LM: Jonas, need backup

CM: Barton, Need 1st teamer, guthrie (backup), Smith (backup, or sell if we get 3m+ offer)

FW: Carrol, Best (backup), Smith (emergency, or sell if we get 3m+ offer), ranger (loan out)

ST: Need 1st teamer, lovenkrands (backup)

A centeral midfielder and striker are must. O'hara and Robbie Keane would be my preferd options.

Right back, left back (Bertrand - Reading/Chelsea), winger (Pennant) are also required to add squad depth.

pennant and barton?

may as well have dyer and bowyer back, the attitudes on those two

He was the only availible winger with pace that I could think of.

Most of the players are "good" enough to play in the Premiership,

I'd even expect the current squad to at least have a good chance of surviving.

However, in the long term mostly all of them should be replaced -

if the aim is to be able to fight for the 5-7 positions again.

Doing this rebuilding under a reasonable financial plan will take time.

Realistically Id think a new CF (Carrol is doing ok, as is Lov, but neither are of the quality we need in the Prem).

Then a new CM. Butt may well retire, Smith has his moments but Im really unsure about his long term use. Guthrie could come good but Id like to see a bit more pace from the MF. Our starting wingers are pacey but in the prem Im unsure of their final ball.

A RB, getting Beye back would be fantastic if unlikely.

I like the pairing in the centre of Colo & Taylor with Williamson as back up.

I thought they were canny dodgy together last year though.

Colo looked like a clown for a lot of last season but the way he's turned it around this term (and the way he started last season) suggests to me that was mainly due to a lack of confidence caused by the change in country and complete mess the club was in. Taylor is a solid premiership defender for me. I think he suffers here from people either thinking he's much better than what he is because he's a local lad who come through the ranks or people rebelling against that viewpoint and going too far the other way.

The only time he's convinced me of that was last season after Xmas when he played at full-back.

Robbie Keane .

Not sure he's likely to come for 15k a week.

I doubt the wage cap will be 15k in the prem.

I honestly would be surprised if it was over 30k. At the most.

I think people are largely forgetting that this is mostly the team that took us down and looked totally out of their depth last season as well.

Robbie Keane .

I don't share your optimism, but let's hope that Ashley takes a pragmantic view on it.

He's not going to be able to find a striker that will score goals in the premier league for 15k a week, without getting very lucky on someone young and foreign.

This thread should be called.

"Who do you think is good enough to get us to fourth bottom in the PL"

And the answer to that would be a couple of new midfielders, a new striker and a lot of luck on the injury front. (Surely we must be due some now).

Robbie Keane .

I don't share your optimism, but let's hope that Ashley takes a pragmantic view on it.

He's not going to be able to find a striker that will score goals in the premier league for 15k a week, without getting very lucky on someone young and foreign.

I get the feeling he be looking at Beckford ;)

• 2 weeks later...

1. Steve Harper

A very loyal servant, Premiership class and a very good shot stopper. On the downside, doesn't release the ball quickly enough to get attacks going.

2. Jose Enrique

Our player of the season so far, good going forward and strong defending. If he carries on in the same vein, will be a decent Premiership prospect.

3. Fabricio Coloccini

Has come into his own this season. Could manage in the Premiership, but may be found out against quality strikers, especially if he gets caught on the wrong side - as he has several times this season

4. Fitz Hall

A good player and very strong at this level, yet to prove his Premiership class. There are also doubts over his pace. Also I doubt very much he will be here next season.

5. Danny Simpson

Again, looks a good player at Championship level, but the jury is out over whether he has Premiership ability, mainly due to his lack of height.

6. Kevin Nolan

He's been brilliant at this level this season, and has weighed in with his fair share of goals. Nolan suffers, however, from a distinct lack of pace, and isn't getting any younger. May make the bench in the Premiership, but not a starter for me.

7. Danny Guthrie

He's blossomed recently and is still young, but again suffers from a distinct lack of pace. He'll needs to make better use of the ball to be a success against good Premiership teams

8. Jonas Gutierrez

Definite Premiership class, and will scare defences to death - but he needs to work on his end product, which at times is poor.

9. Andy Carroll

He's shown glimpses of how good he could be, but needs to hit the net consistently to be another Geordie superhero. But a dead cert to be given the opportunity to show he can cut it in the Prem.

10. Peter Lovenkrands

Great at Championship level, making excellent runs into space. Plays well off Carroll, but age is against him and will a bench player in the Premiership.

11. Wayne Routledge

Has looked a very good player, with a good touch and bags of speed. If he settles here, he could make a big impact in the Prem.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the following provides the basis of a team that will do alright in the Premier League.

Harper

New RB - Williamson - Colo - Enrique

Routledge - Guthrie - New CM - Jonas

Carroll - New CF

I would be sniffing around Alan Hutton, who's not getting a game at Spurs. Alternatively James Perch.

Cheeky bid for Dorrens at WBA or O'Hara from Spurs as well.

In terms of Centre Forward I'd break the bank for Luis Suarez. :D /haven't a clue.

haven't you said we bought well in January ?

January was about securing promotion.

Harper

Simpson - Taylor - Colo - Enrique

Routledge - Guthrie - Nolan - Jonas

Carroll - lovelyhands

is the team i think we will start with next season

You think we'll sign no one :icon_lol:

I really think this is a very hard one to call. Gut instinct tells me that most of them are not good enough, but there has to be something said for a group of players who are used to playing well and winning together along with the team spirit. :D

If pushed I would prefer a new RB (Or as someone said elsewhere, S Taylor there. Im sure he played well at some point there last season with some decent runs down the flank?)

Barton will hopefully come good, a replacement for Jonas and a really good No 9

January was about securing promotion.

putting players on 3.5 year contracts, suggests a longer term view than that.

Shame they weren't of the calibre of Rob Lee, Andy Cole, Scott Sellars, Barry Venison and John Beresford, especially given our willingness to compete in the wages department and the ambition pouring out of the club.