General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its a shame that so many people like Renton make up their mind on history, rather than current policies.

(Hearing Renton talk about the Tories reminds me of a deep south white Granny talking about Negros)

It's interesting you single me out there CT, perhaps it's because I have the most posts on this thread other than yourself, or perhaps it's because you're rattled? In any case, I'm sure if you read the large majority of my posts on this thread, you'll find I actually am critical of the current tory incumbents and their policies rather than previous tory governments.

Your posts in this thread show you know very little, if anything about Tory policy only soundbites you have read in The Mirror.

So, for instance, regarding Cameron (the present leader of the conservatives), I think he comes across as a shallow PR man

Yet it is Clegg who has spent the last 10 years AS a PR man

with no political conviction whatsoever. The thought of his mate Osbourne being in charge of the economy actually scares the shit out of me - do you really think he is qualified for the job or do you think that perhaps he is where he is because of his background?

Is this opinion based on any fact whatsoever? Why do you think it is that virtually every business leader and even proper financial papers such as the economist and FT dont share your concerns? Could it be they know something you dont?

Regarding the recent decisions that Cameron would have made during the banking crisis, it's my contention that he would have literally destroyed Great Britain plc. I'm not alone in thinking that.

You didnt think that. You heard it and repeated it.

Regarding present tory policies, I've discussed these several times on this thread. For me they range from the dangerous (immediate cutbacks when we are hardly out the recession),

Again, repeating Gordons soundbites

to the ridiculous ('Big Society' and tax breaks for married couples), to the downright evil (tax breaks for the super rich).

Which ones that then?

I've also pointed out that Cameron has said he will specifically target the North East regarding cutbacks - something you seemingly don't give a shit about.

Linky please?

Are these points present enough for you?

No, just soundbites

I'd also throw in the fact I know my local MP quite well and he has proved to be a good leader at constituency level. And that the tory challenger in my constituency is an evil hound.

Oh, and one last thing, you have admitted you are a 'dyed in the wool' conservative, so your above comment seems a bit hypocritical, does it not? :o

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Torys can only effect the public sector jobs, which will have no effect on the private sector. They have said they want to force the banks to lend to small businesses, which will create jobs. There are thousands of entrepreneurs waiting to create jobs.

Whereas Labour have said they are going to raise National Insurance, a direct tax that will cost businesses and anyone earning over £20k. Sheer madness - businesses are struggling and more taxes will slow down hiring.

Talking of myths it looks like you've swallowed that one.

I'm not sure if theres been a boardroom meeting ever where,when a company has a huge new order on the table,or has a chance to move into a new market,to expand and develop, the chairman has turned round and said "but NI contributions are too high for the x amount of extra staff we'll have to employ,lets not bother eh?"

Its a bare faced lie peddled by the business community in an attempt to gain favour with a potential new tory government.

Aye, it will make less than quid a day difference to employers for every full time employee they have, i.e hardly any difference at all. Of course all these high earning CEOs etc have a huge vested interest in a return to tory rule through their own personal tax cuts. The same people who claimed minimum wage would wreck the economy etc.

I also love it when Cameron calls this 'a tax on jobs' as if its something new. It's pretty much just a tax on income which is about the fairest tax there is.

Let Cameron have his 6 months of a hung parliament limbo-fest.....David Milliband is going to hand him his arse on a plate in the tv debates in October....and that other public school pillock Clegg :unsure:

Should be fun to watch.....

So Mr Milliband, you opposed the Conservatives inheritance tax plans yet you and your brother Ed re-wrote your dead fathers will to AVOID paying inheritance tax yourselves on his 1.3 million estate......... :o

Bring it on.

Meh!

guys, just vote the way your conscience tells you too. all these endless arguments are pointless as neither side are going to change their minds at this late stage of the game.

Peace out!

Kenneth Clarke is basically running the Tories and Mandhelson - Labour. Those are the two images you need to keep in mind when you vote. The actual leaders are mere puppets.

It’s the people who provide the funding that pull the strings, and we haven’t heard a single word on the funding issue in the run up to this election.

Who does fund the three main parties? How much money do they invest, and what kind of return are they looking for? Does anybody have any idea?

Labour -- Unions -- Everything

Lib Dems -- Convicted Fraudsters -- God Knows

Conservatives -- Oxfam -- All conservative MP's donate a month of their time for free each year working in Africa.

The Torys can only effect the public sector jobs, which will have no effect on the private sector. They have said they want to force the banks to lend to small businesses, which will create jobs. There are thousands of entrepreneurs waiting to create jobs.

Whereas Labour have said they are going to raise National Insurance, a direct tax that will cost businesses and anyone earning over £20k. Sheer madness - businesses are struggling and more taxes will slow down hiring.

I'm not sure if theres been a boardroom meeting ever where,when a company has a huge new order on the table,or has a chance to move into a new market,to expand and develop, the chairman has turned round and said "but NI contributions are too high for the x amount of extra staff we'll have to employ,lets not bother eh?"

Its a bare faced lie peddled by the business community in an attempt to gain favour with a potential new tory government.

As businessmen we know that stopping the national insurance rise will protect jobs and support the recovery.

Signed by 60 business leaders from some of the countrys top boardrooms such as M&S, Glaxosmithkline, Sainsburys, Virgin, Next etc etc etc :o

Its a shame that so many people like Renton make up their mind on history, rather than current policies.

(Hearing Renton talk about the Tories reminds me of a deep south white Granny talking about Negros)

It's interesting you single me out there CT, perhaps it's because I have the most posts on this thread other than yourself, or perhaps it's because you're rattled? In any case, I'm sure if you read the large majority of my posts on this thread, you'll find I actually am critical of the current tory incumbents and their policies rather than previous tory governments.

Your posts in this thread show you know very little, if anything about Tory policy only soundbites you have read in The Mirror.

So, for instance, regarding Cameron (the present leader of the conservatives), I think he comes across as a shallow PR man

Yet it is Clegg who has spent the last 10 years AS a PR man

with no political conviction whatsoever. The thought of his mate Osbourne being in charge of the economy actually scares the shit out of me - do you really think he is qualified for the job or do you think that perhaps he is where he is because of his background?

Is this opinion based on any fact whatsoever? Why do you think it is that virtually every business leader and even proper financial papers such as the economist and FT dont share your concerns? Could it be they know something you dont?

Regarding the recent decisions that Cameron would have made during the banking crisis, it's my contention that he would have literally destroyed Great Britain plc. I'm not alone in thinking that.

You didnt think that. You heard it and repeated it.

Regarding present tory policies, I've discussed these several times on this thread. For me they range from the dangerous (immediate cutbacks when we are hardly out the recession),

Again, repeating Gordons soundbites

to the ridiculous ('Big Society' and tax breaks for married couples), to the downright evil (tax breaks for the super rich).

Which ones that then?

I've also pointed out that Cameron has said he will specifically target the North East regarding cutbacks - something you seemingly don't give a shit about.

Linky please?

Are these points present enough for you?

No, just soundbites

I'd also throw in the fact I know my local MP quite well and he has proved to be a good leader at constituency level. And that the tory challenger in my constituency is an evil hound.

Oh, and one last thing, you have admitted you are a 'dyed in the wool' conservative, so your above comment seems a bit hypocritical, does it not? :o

Accused from CT of repeating 'sound bites'. Oh the irony. You are a hypocrite if nothing else - look at your signature ffs. :unsure:

I can't follow your formatting, before I go to bed I will point out I don't read the Mirror (the Times, now a conservative paper, is my main paper); the points I've stated are MY opinions (yes, based on what I've heard/read - how do you inform yourself?); Cameron told Paxman he was specifically going to cut the public sector in this region (I witnessed that on TV, do a search if you like); and I was referring of course to inheritance tax relief for millionaires - would you like to justify that?

In a nutshell what it comes down to is that I believe in a liberal, progressive, and fair society in general and believe the North East and neighbouring areas need help from government specifically. The Conservatives don't offer that, their inheritance tax cut for millionaires alone shows that they are the same old party that oppose wealth distribution and social mobility. 'Keep the plebs in their place' basically. What amazes me is that peoiple they hold in complete disdain like yourself can't see through them, even when the evidence is before their eyes.

Meh!

guys, just vote the way your conscience tells you too. all these endless arguments are pointless as neither side are going to change their minds at this late stage of the game.

Peace out!

We're all fighting for Craigs vote, Floating Craig is the King Maker :o

Jobs. Cameron is on record saying the NE has too many public sector jobs and is clearly going to do a Maggie and fuck us over again. She destroyed our traditional employment base; he’s going to take away a large chunk of what little is left.

I thought he said NI and Wales were too dependant on the government for jobs.

The economy. With a conservative government hell bent on creating mass unemployment in the North East the local economy faces complete collapse. No amount of tax breaks for employing a new member of staff is going to make any difference if the region’s disposable income has been drastically reduced.

Crime. Goes hand in hand with poverty. Throw in Cameron’s’ stop benefits for the unemployed for three years policy and crime will go through the roof. Even people without jobs have to eat.

So you think its ok for me to support a dole waller three years? There is a lack of good jobs in this country, but I will never be unemployed as i'll clean toilets if it puts food on the table.

But hang on, if I inherit a property worth more than £20 zillion quid I won’t have to pay any capital gains tax....get in.

A labour myth that retards like you lap up. The current threshold is £350,000, which Labour has frozen until 2014. So if your family home is worth more by 2014 you have to sell it....! It's such a small amount of revenue, but dont let that stop your rant. Moreover the shortfall is 1.2 billion which will be leved by the nondom tax.

The best policy of all the parties is the Lib Dems' £10k tax free earnings. So if your poor you should vote Lib Dem.

He singled out NI and the NE when he was interviewed by Paxman.

Fair enough. High state employement dependancy is not ideal, although i doubt the North East is anywhere near Northern Ireland and Wales.

The private sector doesn’t exist in isolation.

We'll have to disagree on that one - my understanding is they are different sectors. While there is some minor overlap, I can say for a fact that SME IT businesses rarely get any government contracts - something the Torys have said they will enforce.

Not everybody on unemployment benefit is a dole-waller.

Yes, but if you are unemployed for three years there should be some form of intervention.

I’m not going to rush to judgements but you do sound like the quintessential I’m all right jack fuck everybody else type who could do with a year living on benefits in Cruddas Park to appreciate what a selfish retard you are.

Pretty much everyone votes for who is best for them, why should I be any defferent? I work around 12 hours a day and pay 70%+ in tax, Labour have taxed me to the max. The country is in massive debt and pension my keep shrinking. So you'll have to forgive my lack of empathy.

Lib Dems --- The Nasty Party :o

A Liberal Democrat volunteer has been arrested on suspicion of vandalising Tory party posters.

He was arrested after a row between the Lib Dems and the Conservatives about damaged posters in the closely-contested constituency of Eastbourne.

"This is a big row between the Tories and the Lib Dems in Eastbourne about posters being damaged and vandalised.

"The 38-year-old man was asked to go to the police station, where he went with his solicitor.

"When he got there he was arrested.

"It's all getting a big ugly down in Eastbourne."

A Liberal Democrat spokesman said: "A Liberal Democrat volunteer did attend a police station this afternoon.

"He will be playing no further part in our campaign."

At Last, The Truth From Labour! :o

4f14bade-5cbc-4e40-8303-a25a9998a378.Full.jpg

"I believe Gordon Brown has been the worst Prime Minister we have had in this country," he said in an interview with the Lynn News.

"It is a disgrace and he owes an apology to the people and the Queen."

"All the policies he is bringing in are a total disaster,"

Edited by Christmas Tree

Kenneth Clarke is basically running the Tories and Mandhelson - Labour. Those are the two images you need to keep in mind when you vote. The actual leaders are mere puppets.

It’s the people who provide the funding that pull the strings, and we haven’t heard a single word on the funding issue in the run up to this election.

Who does fund the three main parties? How much money do they invest, and what kind of return are they looking for? Does anybody have any idea?

Labour -- Unions -- Everything

Lib Dems -- Convicted Fraudsters -- God Knows

Conservatives -- Oxfam -- All conservative MP's donate a month of their time for free each year working in Africa.

They also plant sustainable forests, campaign against whaling, champion Gay Rights, and cuddle trees.

That's just how they roll- lovable little bunnys.

FYP

23 businesses leaders including Sainsburys and M&S agree with me....

link

The rise has to be absorbed somewhere, I'd be surprised if businesses don't pass it on in one form or another.

link

The rise has to be absorbed somewhere, I'd be surprised if businesses don't pass it on in one form or another.

What did these leaders say about the minimum wage then? It's a 1% increase ffs, we all know this won't even touch the sides of the problem so stop whinging.

I'm intrigued that you pay more than 70% tax on your 12 hour a day earnings Phil, perhaps you can enlighten us how that is the case? For the record, I happen to fall into one of the demographics which has benifitted least from Labour over the last decade. But I accept this, because I recognise I am fortunate to be where I am, and yes, unlike you, I can feel empathy towards the poorer sections of the community. I'm happy to accept that taxation should be progressive - if you are hit by it, you're doing alright in any case.

I'm not getting into any political debates on here because I'm nowhere near eloquent enough or knowledgeable enough to be able to do any debate justice but I just want to say that I'm really quite inspired by our own Miss Biddy and what she is doing. I'm still in touch and she has always been focused, motivated and passionate about making people's lives better and I'm really proud of her. She's on leave from her job as a women's refuge manager and has been working flat out on her campaign. Good luck to her. It's easy to be cynical about MP's but in this case I can honestly say that she will be one who does her utmost to make things better for ordinary people.

Can't disagree with any of that. Whisper it quietly, but I reckon she could end up one of Labour's rising stars. Whatever the next generation of Blair's Babes ends up being. (Miliband's Minions?)

link

:o Business leaders against a rise in national insurance? Well I never...

Complete change of subject, but has something weird happened? I was sure I had a post directed at me from Problem Child last night before my ISP (Be There) decided to go down. Are any posts missing from this thread?

Something about making a decision for the good of the country rather than yourself?

Did I just imagine it? In fairness, I was tired last night....... :o

At Last, The Truth From Labour! :o

"I believe Gordon Brown has been the worst Prime Minister we have had in this country," he said in an interview with the Lynn News.

"It is a disgrace and he owes an apology to the people and the Queen."

"All the policies he is bringing in are a total disaster,"

Anyone in anyway connected to Labour who doesn't take a nanosecond to answer "Thatcher" to that particular question should be expelled from the party, kicked to fuck and then hanged.

I was out with three good friends of mine last night, all female doctors. I thought about bringing up the topic of the election but decided the answers I received would just depress me. Unfortunately, somebody else did. None of them knew when the last election was. Two of them said they were going to vote, but had no idea what each party stood for, and was there any place that you could get an objective quick, easy to follow run through of what each were going to do. "Oh I'll look on the BBC website, it'll be on there"

The third however, said that she wasn't voting as she never has done because she doesn't "give a shit". She further qualified this by saying she hoped to be like her grandmother, who at 85 years old was proud of the fact never to have voted.

:o

Still not all bad news my cousin's 18th birthday was last Friday and she's very excited about voting, and her younger sister has been following the election and looks forward to the day when she can vote too.

I've got a friend, my age, who's never voted or registered to vote and has a long and well-reasoned argument for doing so. Which we've been through many times after a few drinks. :o I may not agree with him, but at least I respect the fact that he's thought about it and come to a conclusion that works for him. I just can't be doing with people who dismiss going to vote through sheer apathy or because "politics is shit/boring" without further consideration.

I'm still unsure about whether it's worth my time voting given that I live in an ultra-safe constituency for a candidate who won't take up his seat in parliament and even if that wasn't the situation, none of the candidates can make any sort of difference in Westminster, so really, what's the point?