General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People are being turned away from voting at 10pm, when the doors closed. There is a bit of an outrage about it going on over at the BBC, but come on, if you want to vote you have 7am-10pm for fuck's sake.

Yeh people can't complain. It's enough time to get there and pop a card in a box.

Tbf, if you dont get in from work until after 6pm (I dont normally get in until after 6pm) and the queue is already very long, then its hardly surprising. I work about 3/4hour away from home and its not like I could nip out at lunch to do it. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Bring kids, tea time and the bedtime routine into the equation and the evening is gone :(

All joking aside, I think its a little churlish to blame people for not getting there early enough when I can think of several reasons why people could be delayed.

People are being turned away from voting at 10pm, when the doors closed. There is a bit of an outrage about it going on over at the BBC, but come on, if you want to vote you have 7am-10pm for fuck's sake.

Yeh people can't complain. It's enough time to get there and pop a card in a box.

Tbf, if you dont get in from work until after 6pm (I dont normally get in until after 6pm) and the queue is already very long, then its hardly surprising. I work about 3/4hour away from home and its not like I could nip out at lunch to do it. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Bring kids, tea time and the bedtime routine into the equation and the evening is gone :(

All joking aside, I think its a little churlish to blame people for not getting there early enough when I can think of several reasons why people could be delayed.

What time do you start? ( :( )

There's the option of postal votes though.

I have no sympathy on those who've missed out on time however those who've been unable to vote because the polling station has run out of ballot papers is an absolute disgrace.

What time do you start? ( :( )

On the client site for 9am. I have to take my son to nursery on the way though and need to have him there for 8am or I hit the motorway at the worst time. At a real push I possibly could have done it before leaving for work but it would have added 20mins or so to my morning.

As it happens, I was able to do it this afternoon as I ended up working from home this afternoon.

My point was that I can understand the possibility for people to struggle to get to a polling station later in the evening.

I have no sympathy on those who've missed out on time however those who've been unable to vote because the polling station has run out of ballot papers is an absolute disgrace.

I have to disagree with you there mate. I would never have thought of doing a postal vote as I have always intended to vote in person. Are you saying that someone who turns up 45mins before the polling station closes but gets stuck in a queue only has themselves to blame?????

I have to disagree with you there mate. I would never have thought of doing a postal vote as I have always intended to vote in person. Are you saying that someone who turns up 45mins before the polling station closes but gets stuck in a queue only has themselves to blame?????

I think they've run a risk and in this day and age when there's an alternative option, it's a risk they've decided to take.

Interesting interviews on ITV about the voters being turned away.

1 woman :

Went before work - queue massive. Didn't have time

Came back at 18:30 queue huge again

Came back again at 21:20 and police turned away as there wasnt enough time.

Shocking.

1 woman :

Shocking.

Why the fuck is this happening in 2010?

I first voted in the 80s and I can't remember it happening before.

If it's a hugely increased turnout is it down to the leader's tv debates?

Is it that theres a huge amount of people want to get out there and give Broon a severe kicking in the ballots?

Fuckin weird...but I rememeber when Bush jnr first got in there was uproar when police prevented voters from getting near the polling stations where his opponenet was expected to do well...it'sll be interesting to see where the queues were told to go home :(

6 seats declared on the mainland - not one to the Tories but every single one of them with a large swing to them.

Durham North and Darlington both with around a 9% swings to Tories - national average must be bloody close to a Tory majority.

Aye, but anyone with any public secotr job anywhere should feel wary.

my lass and I reviewing redundancy insurance about 6 am. Might be too twatted to make the call then. :(

1 woman :

Shocking.

Why the fuck is this happening in 2010?

I first voted in the 80s and I can't remember it happening before.

If it's a hugely increased turnout is it down to the leader's tv debates?

Is it that theres a huge amount of people want to get out there and give Broon a severe kicking in the ballots?

Fuckin weird...but I rememeber when Bush jnr first got in there was uproar when police prevented voters from getting near the polling stations where his opponenet was expected to do well...it'sll be interesting to see where the queues were told to go home :(

It's been pointed out on the BBC that the numbers turning up to vote have not been higher than has been successfully handled in the past - so in that respect it doesn't make sense. As I've said above - I can think of a few reasons why people would be voting later in the evening; but to be fair, those reasons would have equally applied 20/30 yrs ago. So in saying that, I can't see why its resulted in problems this time around.

Both Labour and Conservative suggesting that Basildon South will go Tory. That's one of the big deciding seats!

Easington held by Labour.

Torbay is...................held by the Lib Dems, by a few thousand

Putney is.............held by the Tories easily.

Edited by Billy Castell