General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think we are looking for conspiracy style policy in something which is basically pretty mundane, especially given the lack of real newsworthyness in the media.

Maybe it will be more of a story when the MP's debate it, however i'm sure it is deficit re-payal which will concern most voters.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit I must have misunderstood it.

Id thought it was the ability of the opposition to call a vote of no confidence in the government.

Currently as it stands when a vote of no-confidence is carried out you need a simple majority to have it passed. In normal circumstances thats 50.15% (326 out of 650 MPs), under the new rules you need 55% to pass a vote of no-confidence which would mean 357 MPs had to agree.

Is that not the case?

Yes, so even if the coalition dissolves, no-one can vote out the resultant Conservative government, even though it would be a minority government. Such a government would be paralysed, as it would struggle to pass any legislation, but at the same time it couldn't be voted out either - so it would be a so-called Zombie government.

This isn't a mundane point, it's fundamentally unconstitutional and wrong, and does not serve the interests of our country. The fact that the ConDems have even thought about bringing this in should be of concern no matter what your political affiliation is.

I have to admit I must have misunderstood it.

Id thought it was the ability of the opposition to call a vote of no confidence in the government.

Currently as it stands when a vote of no-confidence is carried out you need a simple majority to have it passed. In normal circumstances thats 50.15% (326 out of 650 MPs), under the new rules you need 55% to pass a vote of no-confidence which would mean 357 MPs had to agree.

Is that not the case?

Yes, so even if the coalition dissolves, no-one can vote out the resultant Conservative government, even though it would be a minority government. Such a government would be paralysed, as it would struggle to pass any legislation, but at the same time it couldn't be voted out either - so it would be a so-called Zombie government.

This isn't a mundane point, it's fundamentally unconstitutional and wrong, and does not serve the interests of our country. The fact that the ConDems have even thought about bringing this in should be of concern no matter what your political affiliation is.

I have a different understanding of the intended purpose of no confidence vote. I thought its intention is to empower the governing party members to decide if the party needs removing. Seems daft to give the opposition that power.

Setting it any lower than 55% would enable the Lib Dems to black mail their policies through.

Edited by Phil

It's to be hoped Balls doesn't get it cos seems a right cocksmoker.

Typed cock there and my phone autocorrected to cocksmoker. Canny.

Balls has no chance, he only just won his seat. Labour 18,365 vs. 17,264 Tory.

Thirsk and Malton voters finally head to the polls

Residents in the North Yorkshire constituency of Thirsk and Malton are finally getting their chance to vote in the general election.

The ballot was delayed due to the death last month of UKIP candidate John Boakes, from Kirby Knowle, near Northallerton.

Mr Boakes' death was the eighth during an election campaign since 1918.

Polling stations are open from 0700 BST until 2200 BST on Thursday.

The constituency was created from the former seats of Ryedale and Vale of York.

The candidates in Thirsk and Malton are: Liberal Party: John Clark; UK Independence Party: Toby Horton; Liberal Democrat: Howard Keal; Conservative: Anne McIntosh; Labour: Jonathan Roberts.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/york_an...re/10168608.stm

keel.jpg

Alive and well in sunny Thirsk it seems :wub:

• 2 months later...
Labour think we have a bottomless pit of money to help out everyone even those who don't want to work and all the immigrants who they are letting into the country.

Shepherd thought we had a bottomless pit of money to help out everyone even those who didn't want to play, and all the foreigners who they let into the club...

Labour had us on average over their reign one of the top economies in the world, and no country has a devine right to that. Perhaps you'd prefer to be governed by the Roman's again? :lol:

Suppose when it comes to running a country though, you accept that ambition is worthless when coupled with incompetence!

WANKER!!

Labour think we have a bottomless pit of money to help out everyone even those who don't want to work and all the immigrants who they are letting into the country.

Shepherd thought we had a bottomless pit of money to help out everyone even those who didn't want to play, and all the foreigners who they let into the club...

Labour had us on average over their reign one of the top economies in the world, and no country has a devine right to that. Perhaps you'd prefer to be governed by the Roman's again? :lol:

Suppose when it comes to running a country though, you accept that ambition is worthless when coupled with incompetence!

WANKER!!

what have you pm'd me this link for :icon_lol:

Double standards with regards to good leadership, obviously.

Slating a spend-happy wreckless Labour, the irony.

completely different you daft shite.

Who is going to blame me for hijacking this thread :lol:

Hijack you daft cunt there hadn't been a post in it since May!

So you don't mind a chairman/board that runs up club debt with ambition but a government that runs up debts with ambition is poor leadership. Ok.

So you don't mind a chairman/board that runs up club debt with ambition but a government that runs up debts with ambition is poor leadership. Ok.

jfc - surely you can do better than this

you're making cockhead and kevin look like good posters

JFC fuck off you arsewipe.

:angry: Sad but true, as Metallica would say.