General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought by far the biggest bone of contention between them would have been electoral reform like, did GMTV not mention that?

A lot of the problems with Lib Dem manifesto stem from the fact it was naturally written in assumption they would be in opposition so had some wierd stuff in it which is frankly hard to take seriously imo. This took its toll on Thursday as Clegg floundered on all the points you mention.

I'm surprised you are surprised that this discussion is still taking place btw Craig, and feel the need to insult all the main contributors. :) Since when has anyone on a messageboard had a clue? :(

I'm surprised myself that ER didn't come top of the list like.

As for the insults, well it's not meant like that but howay man, it's all getting a bit daft. I know Gemmill's said it tongue in cheek when he's said don't bite but he has a point. No one of us is going to totally agree with another as far as politics are concerned.

I have my own views but can't see the point in bringing them into the equation as I know not everyone will agree.

One thing I will say though is in regards to a comment I saw which suggested people were wrong to think selfishly when it comes to politics. I don't think it's that cut and dry - people should vote for what they believe in and for what they want. We're all hammering CT but I think he truly does believe what he's saying and I've no doubt you do too.

If people want to see the bigger picture and vote accordingly then great. But they equally have the right to vote for themselves and what they personal want IMO.

Guest alex

Not too long ago someone suggested the 2012 Games should take inspiration from the so-called Austerity Games of 1948. I.e. cut back on unecessary spending due to the economic crisis.

Not too long ago someone suggested the 2012 Games should take inspiration from the so-called Austerity Games of 1948. I.e. cut back on unecessary spending due to the economic crisis.

Ironic that London has two austerity games.

Use the Dome for indoor events? :(

Use the Dome for indoor events? :(

Cracking idea. I suggest gymnastics and basketball.

An old one, but still good :(

A little boy goes to his dad and asks, 'What is Politics?'

Dad says, 'Well son, let me try to explain it this way: I am the head of the family, so call me The Prime Minister. Your mother is the administrator of the money, so we call her the Government. We are here to take care of your needs, so we will call you the People.The nanny, we will consider her the Working Class. And your baby brother, we will call him the Future. Now think about that and see if it makes sense.'

So the little boy goes off to bed thinking about what Dad has said. Later that night, he hears his baby brother crying, so he gets up to check on him. He finds that the baby has severely soiled his nappy. So the little boy goes to his parent's room and finds his mother asleep. Not wanting to wake her,

he goes to the nanny's room. Finding the door locked, he peeks in the keyhole and see's his father in bed with the nanny. He gives up and goes back to bed.

The next morning, the little boy say's to his father, 'Dad, I think I understand the concept of politics now. '

The father says, 'Good, son, tell me in your own words what you think politics is all about.'

The little boy replies, 'The prime Minister is screwing the Working Class while the Government is sound asleep. The People are being ignored and the Future is in deep shit.'

Fucking hell I've been away all weekend and this argument is still raging? :(

There appears to be two seperate camps on this - a small few who think Cameron will be the best thing since sliced bread and the majority who believe he'll be a complete disaster.

We'll have another election in the Winter so the country will soon get to decide once more whether it's the right path to follow. The electorate have clearly decided that they want a change to a Labour government - anything other than a outright majority for Labour proves that. But what they're not clear about is who they want instead which barely puts Cameron in a more favourable position.

Never the less, it's looking more and more likely he'll be PM. Lets see what he does then and judge him on that. If it's shite, then the majority can have their "told you so.." moments and the follow-up election will result in a resounding defeat for the Tories. If he does sort things out then who knows...

At the moment though, we're all arguing about what we think will happen and it's pathetically getting to the levels of personal abuse. CT you haven't got a fucking clue tbh and neither does Renton, Parky et al. I didn't vote for Cameron but more people in the country did than either for Brown or Clegg (admittedly not combined).

IMO whoever got in, it was going to be a tough 6 months in terms of the economy and whoever supports the opposition is likely to try to beat the government about the head with it.

FWIW I saw a clip on GMTV this morning which stated that the points the Tories and Lib Dems didn't see eye to eye on were:

1) Trident

2) Immigration

3) Europe

Don't know what point they were making because IIRC, Labour and Lib Dems didn't agree on those issues either.

Craig, always keep in mind that Internet forums are entertainment, a bit of fun. :(

How you can't believe we are stll discussing one of the most major political situations in most of our life times is strange. Once this has blown over we should have a fixed politics thread for a good bit of banter.

As for the insults I never insult anyone until provoked, but even then it's only in the context of a Internet forum banter in the knowledge that all of us can put up with a bit of abuse from people we know nothing about.

Regarding the thread, I just get worked up that people attack Cameron because of Thatcher, eton etc. Not his abilities to be a good prime minister.

Can I just say as well that this Tory voter (all for me) and labour (all for everyone else) politics is bollox IMO.

I don't vote Tory because of what they'll do for me. I tend to vote Tory for lots of other reasons. Labour give out free tax credits to families who don't need them and lots of other goodies I don't need so really I should vote for them.

But because I do know about politics I appreciate that at times labour are better and vice versa.

But this holier than thou labourite feed the needy shit is bollox.

If people were really just voting on that basis then the Liberals should be romping, not dwindling.

Regarding the thread, I just get worked up that people attack Cameron because of Thatcher, eton etc. Not his abilities to be a good prime minister.

Trouble is CT you seem to think that is the only concern or criticism of Cameron and the Conservatives people have, which I just plain disagree with and it makes you come across as patronising, not just to me, but thousands of voters in this region. That's the last I want to say about that because I just don't think we'll ever agree.

As for the continuing news, I want to hear what Meenzer thinks about it most. If what we're hearing is correct, I suggest the Lib dems change their campaign logo to something like:

Vote Lib. Get Conned.

I'll be disappointed if a formal coalition comes out of it, even if that includes the promise of a referendum on electoral reform (which it won't). Some kind of "we won't vote you down" cooperation would be far preferable, something that can be spun as "in the national interest in these difficult times" without completely alienating a good proportion of Lib Dem voters. I have no idea what's actually going to happen, though, nor do I trust in any of the interpretations of what's happened so far ("there've been no leaks/talks haven't broken down yet so things must be going well", etc.), so I don't really know what to say beyond that.

Guest alex

Who did the Tories wheel out at the weekend to do a bit of public relations? John Redwood. You couldn't make it up. Is that the best they've got? :(

Guest alex
I'll be disappointed if a formal coalition comes out of it, even if that includes the promise of a referendum on electoral reform (which it won't). Some kind of "we won't vote you down" cooperation would be far preferable, something that can be spun as "in the national interest in these difficult times" without completely alienating a good proportion of Lib Dem voters. I have no idea what's actually going to happen, though, nor do I trust in any of the interpretations of what's happened so far ("there've been no leaks/talks haven't broken down yet so things must be going well", etc.), so I don't really know what to say beyond that.

They're in a very difficult position because they couldn't prop Brown up, either from the viewpoint of how it looks to the public or in terms of seats. I hope they stick to their guns re: electoral reform anyway.

Can I just say as well that this Tory voter (all for me) and labour (all for everyone else) politics is bollox IMO.

I don't vote Tory because of what they'll do for me. I tend to vote Tory for lots of other reasons. Labour give out free tax credits to families who don't need them and lots of other goodies I don't need so really I should vote for them.

But because I do know about politics I appreciate that at times labour are better and vice versa.

But this holier than thou labourite feed the needy shit is bollox.

If people were really just voting on that basis then the Liberals should be romping, not dwindling.

I understand. You are informed and I am ignorant about politics is your opinion. This despite the fact I have been interested and often actively involved in politics for the last 20 years. No point in discussing things further with you really.

Fair enough, there's too much uncertainty at the minute to know what to make of it. I honestly believe that Clegg is on the edge of a precipice but I'm sure he is well aware of that.

Who did the Tories wheel out at the weekend to do a bit of public relations? John Redwood. You couldn't make it up. Is that the best they've got? :(

Seriously? :(

The amount of damage he did in the mid 90s, I'm surprised he wasn't chucked out of the party tbh.

They're in a very difficult position because they couldn't prop Brown up, either from the viewpoint of how it looks to the public or in terms of seats. I hope they stick to their guns re: electoral reform anyway.

Arguments about idealogical position aside, I think the Libs could sell siding with Labour as a sort of demonstration of how PR works - as far as I'm aware the idea that the biggest party has to be the main partner in a coalition isn't set in stone.

I think even for the Liberals theres a sense of feeling their way around a very new situation.

I think he, Peter Lilley and Portillo have all tried to re-invent themselves from their early days. I think Redwood is just too slimy to have done it.

Guest alex

Arguments about idealogical position aside, I think the Libs could sell siding with Labour as a sort of demonstration of how PR works - as far as I'm aware the idea that the biggest party has to be the main partner in a coalition isn't set in stone.

I think even for the Liberals theres a sense of feeling their way around a very new situation.

It's funny because it was seen as a bad result for them at first, after the early promise shown etc. but in reality they could have gotten another twenty seats and still been in a much weaker position than they are now. I just can't really see them finding enough common ground to form anything like a formal coalition with the Tories though.

2nd election in October or November is my guess, with Gordon Brown replaced.

Yeah, Brown is a goner whatever happens, and even a formal coalition has every chance of failing within the year, let alone a minority Conservative government.