Lionel Messi

LeazesMag

Take a bow son.

Pele, Johan Cryuff, Maradona, George Best, Gazza (should have been).....all the best players in the world, sublime, brilliant, in their heyday.

Maradona won the 1986 World Cup single handed [no pun intended].

Messi tonight ? Undescribable. Taken his place among those above. World number 1. No question.

afraid there has been one match and thats Pedro spread over his scouse and geordie days

Beardsley was a great player, but I don't agree mate. I think Tony Green is the best player I've seen play for Newcastle, and putting him above Gazza tells you a lot.

Co-incidence all these players are all forwards, not even strikers, but all forwards who play off the strikers or the attacking midfield position ?

Is it because its the most influential position ?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a bow son.

Pele, Johan Cryuff, Maradona, George Best, Gazza (should have been).....all the best players in the world, sublime, brilliant, in their heyday.

Messi tonight ? Undescribable. Taken his place among those above. World number 1. No question.

afraid there has been one match and thats Pedro spread over his scouse and geordie days

Beardsley was a great player, but I don't agree mate. I think Tony Green is the best player I've seen play for Newcastle, and putting him above Gazza tells you a lot.

Co-incidence all these players are all forwards, not even strikers, but all forwards who play off the strikers or the attacking midfield position ?

You need to re watch some of Pedros magic.

Take a bow son.

<_<

did you see Tony Green ?

Take a bow son.

:D

did you see Tony Green ?

course I did even did a benefit disco for him <_< could not dancy very well, had a sore leg if I remember rightly. Nar he was good but Pedro over the years I'm not just on about here.

• 2 weeks later...

1 in 10 share my view, in fact can't remember anyone on here agreeing with me, but I'm right anyway, and SAF agrees...

Cristiano Ronaldo is better than Lionel Messi - Manchester United's Sir Alex Ferguson

Veteran manager has branded the Portuguese ace, who made his name at Old Trafford, as the best in the business, but believes his Argentine rival is also a "fantastic" footballer

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has rated Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo over Barcelona attacker Lionel Messi as the best footballer in the world.

The two teams are set to clash for the third time in the space of a fortnight, this time with a place in the Champions League final being on the line.

And with the first leg to be played at the Bernabeu on Wednesday, the Scot has added his thoughts by pointing towards his former player as the best in the business.

"Well, I had Ronaldo here as a player and I think he is the best player in the world," Ferguson told the club's official website.

"He can play with both feet, he has fantastic skill, strength and bravery, and he’s a greater header of the ball. But Messi is an absolutely fantastic player also.

"It’s difficult to choose between the two, it’s the toss of a coin.

"It depends on how you view your player. The fact that I had Ronaldo here so long, I know him well. I saw how he dedicated himself in training sessions to becoming the best player in the world and so that would weigh heavily on my view of him as a player and as a person.

"But you look at the boy Messi and you know that he’s a serious player. He loves playing football. He’s as brave as a lion because he will always take the ball in any situation. They are different types of players but there’s no doubt both provide a fantastic end product."

The ding dong between Pep and Jose got entertaining last night.

"As Mourinho has spoken so candidly about me and spoken about me by name, and using tú [the informal form of you], then I will do the same." He then asked which of the gathered cameras was "Mourinho's camera" and began.

"Tomorrow at 8.45 we will play a match on the field," Guardiola said. " Outside of the field, he has won the entire year, the entire season and in the future [it will be the same]. He can have his personal Champions League outside the field. Fine. Let him enjoy it, I'll give him that. But this is a game. When it comes to sport we will play and sometimes we will win, sometimes we will lose. We are happy with smaller victories, trying to get the world to admire us and we are very proud of this.

"I can give you an immense list of things [that we could complain about]: 300,000 things. We could remember Stamford Bridge and another thousand things but I do not have that many people working for me. Secretaries and referees and people writing stuff. So tomorrow, 8.45pm, we will take to the field and we will try to play football as best as possible.

"In this room [Real Madrid's press room], he is the chief, the fucking man. In here he is the fucking man and I can't compete with him. If Barcelona want someone who competes with that, then they should look for another manager. But we, as a person and an institution, don't do that. I could talk about [Olegario] Bequerença [the referee from last season's Barcelona-Inter semi-final first leg], about the offside goal from Diego Milito or the penalty of [Dani] Alves, but I don't. Well, until tonight!

"If you think after three years, that I always moan, always make excuses and always complain, then there is nothing I can do about that.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has rated Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo over Barcelona attacker Lionel Messi as the best footballer in the world.

"It’s difficult to choose between the two, it’s the toss of a coin.

A massive flaw in that report.

:lol:

Some daftee on 5 live saying he was gifted space cos real had 10 men. As if real had been bombing forward and leaving gaps. He just tore them up. Ronaldo....didn't.

he is just an absolutely magnificent footballer.

That 2nd goal tonight eclipsed the Maradona goal against England, on that occasion a couple of our players could have kicked him and stopped him, but nobody got near him when he scored that goal tonight. Breathtaking stuff.

Edited by LeazesMag

Have you seen where his goals have come from? Mental!

La Liga, 31 goals in 30 appearances, 7 goals in 7 games in the Copa Del Rey, 3 goals in 2 games in the Supercup, 11 goals in 11 games in the champions league.

52 goals in 50 appearances oh and the small matter of 23 assists in all competitions...(He has the most assists in La Liga by 6 and the most goals by 12)

137 - Since Pep Guardiola became Barcelona manager, Lionel Messi has scored 137 goals in 154 games for the Catalans. Bubble.

That's another way of putting it. He knows how to find the net like.

Here's Messi's best Maradona impression.

Pretty much the same goal but a bit faster. :lol:

Thats awesome! Maradonas is better at 1st cos he does a star turn to lose the defenders at the start of the run but Messis is better at the end! No score draw for me lol!

I just don't understand how people can laud Maradona over Messi like he's on another planet.

Seriously I think a comparison between Messi goal tonight and Maradona's against England is certainly fair and as you see in the clip it is certainly something Messi is capable of replicating.

I doubt there's many players in history to have Messi's goal record and he does do it in a fantastic fashion. It's all up in the air and relative but I don't understand why it's such a faux pas to directly compare Messi to the greatest players ever?

Some daftee on 5 live saying he was gifted space cos real had 10 men. As if real had been bombing forward and leaving gaps. He just tore them up. Ronaldo....didn't.

That 2nd goal tonight eclipsed the Maradona goal against England, on that occasion a couple of our players could have kicked him and stopped him, but nobody got near him when he scored that goal tonight. Breathtaking stuff.

You must be having a laugh :lol: All he does is change direction twice running on to a nicely laid of pass, he just had more momentum than the defenders that was all it was, and it wouldn't have happened 11 v 11, plus shite defending. You think he'd run past Man Utd defenders like that? I've seen better goals in the football league last weekend than that goal. Decent enough goal but it wasn't even on the map with Beardsley's against Villa, never mind Maradona's.

When he wins a World Cup on his own he'll be able to be spoken about in the same breath as Maradona, just now he's mainly a player younger fans will class as the greatest ever, when all he is the latest thing, same as Rivaldo was. Doesn't matter what Messi does he will never be as good as Ronaldo, or Maradona in my opinion.

1 in 10 share my view, in fact can't remember anyone on here agreeing with me, but I'm right anyway, and SAF agrees...

There's a reason why 1 in 10 share your view. You're wrong.

Ronaldo was absolutely shite tonight, he's still the better player in my opinion however, and who am I to disagree with SAF. Messi is the younger persons icon, I mean fuckin hell a kid like yourself, you weren't even born when Maradona was nearly retired.

Doesn't matter what Messi does he will never be as good as Ronaldo, or Maradona in my opinion

Exactly, herein lies the problem. Nostalgia interrupts debate and a conclusion cannot be reached.

(However I am in the Fat Ronaldo camp)

You must be having a laugh :lol: All he does is change direction twice running on to a nicely laid of pass, he just had more momentum than the defenders that was all it was, and it wouldn't have happened 11 v 11, plus shite defending. You think he'd run past Man Utd defenders like that? I've seen better goals in the football league last weekend than that goal. Decent enough goal but it wasn't even on the map with Beardsley's against Villa, never mind Maradona's.

When he wins a World Cup on his own he'll be able to be spoken about in the same breath as Maradona, just now he's mainly a player younger fans will class as the greatest ever, when all he is the latest thing, same as Rivaldo was. Doesn't matter what Messi does he will never be as good as Ronaldo, or Maradona in my opinion.

howay Stevie............George Best was a magnificent player, but never even played in the World Cup. Messi might never win the world Cup but that doesn't mean he can't be the equal of Maradona given time, as Maradona is possibly the greatest player I've seen although how you or I or anybody else can say with conviction he is better than Johan Cryuff who also didn't win the World Cup is only opinion. These players are the greatest players of their time, just like Messi is now in the current game.

Edit

and in my opinion, Zidane [for instance] was never as good as Cryuff, Maradona, Best and is certainly now bettered by Messi - but this is just opinion.

Edited by LeazesMag

Doesn't matter what Messi does he will never be as good as Ronaldo, or Maradona in my opinion

Exactly, herein lies the problem. Nostalgia interrupts debate and a conclusion cannot be reached.

(However I am in the Fat Ronaldo camp)

I meant the fat Ronaldo. There's nothing nostalgic about it. The fact remains he scores nearly a goal a game, and Cristiano Ronaldo matches him, in a league where the gulf between the top two and the rest of the league is 20 to 30 points a season. When fat Ronaldo and Zidane played in it there was little gulf between the two of them and the likes of Valencia and Deportivo, who both won La Liga in the last 10 years. It's become like the SPL, where Marco Negri scored 25 in 18 games one season.

Get Messi in to the Premiership where more than ever any team can beat any other team you'd see how good he is. He's going to be in the top 10 or 15 players of all time, I don't dispute that, but largely he was mediocre in the world cup, the greatest stage of all, if he conquers that, or goes to a club like Napoli and single handedly wins 2 titles on his own, then you could start classing him in Maradona's league. One thing I can say with certainty, he will never have the charisma of Maradona.