Dust cloud closes airports

Rob W

Better than repeating the 1982 BA 747 glider incident I guess

-------------------------

Airline passengers have been facing disruption across the UK after warnings of an ash cloud from a volcanic eruption in Iceland.

In Scotland, all airports were shut and there were disruptions at many others including Manchester, Liverpool, Stansted, Newcastle and Birmingham. The Air Traffic Control Service (Nats), imposed restrictions after the Met Office warned ash could damage engines. Passengers are being advised to contact their airlines prior to travel.

Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow airports were shut as Nats said it was restricting flights "in accordance with international civil aviation policy". The ash cloud disrupted all flights to and from Manchester with a similar picture at Newcastle airport where all arrivals were cancelled and all outbound flights either cancelled or subject to indefinite delay.

'Significant disruption'

Birmingham airport warned of severe disruption with about 90% of flights cancelled, and there were problems reported at East Midlands, Leeds Bradford and Cardiff. Most flights were suspended at Belfast International Airport and George Best Belfast City Airport, with some in and out of Dublin airport also hit.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadnt bothered putting the news on this morning.

Arrived at 5.45 for my 6.45 Heathrow flight, walked through the door to a scene of chaos, hundreds of lost looking people just staring at the Departures board.

My easy day in Oxfords gone out the window, now Im sat back in the office :lol:

Is it actually visible above Newcastle? I've got nowt but blue skies and wispy clouds darn sarf!

No but there's a grey cloud cover anyway.

I left Portsmouth Dockyard at 6am this morning, leaving the miserable bully boy supervisor from Gatehead looking forward to his flight home this lunchtime for a long weekend up north....my deep joy at this news is only tempered by the possibility he may, after all, be back on shift tonight, the grumpy fuckin twat :lol:

He's got a point like. First our fish, then our savings, now our planes, the fuckers. Oh aye - Bjork n'arl.

They've sent a fat bird doing a hi-NRG disco stomper to this year's Eurovision, too. The horrors never cease.

He's got a point like. First our fish, then our savings, now our planes, the fuckers. Oh aye - Bjork n'arl.

They've sent a fat bird doing a hi-NRG disco stomper to this year's Eurovision, too. The horrors never cease.

Well let's just hope this volcano scuppers the bastards beneath the waves then. :lol:

Well let's just hope this volcano scuppers the bastards beneath the waves then. :lol:

She'd float to the surface and form her own island like bloody Surtsey.

Breaking news

Re the cloud of dust that has closed all UK airports ,police have arrested the newcastle trophy cabinet cleaner in connection with this incident.

There was a rumour it was all the empty seats being cleaned at the riverside.

#simonbird @youaremyboro

of course the Airlines COULD fly as long as they stay below 20,000ft but that murders the fuel consumption...................

I heard the threashold was 12,000ft which would absolutely cripple the airspace in terms of congestion.

Besides, it's all theory and they simply cannot take that risk.

Nats have confirmed that English airspace is closed until at least 0100 on Saturday.

of course the Airlines COULD fly as long as they stay below 20,000ft but that murders the fuel consumption...................

I heard the threashold was 12,000ft which would absolutely cripple the airspace in terms of congestion.

Besides, it's all theory and they simply cannot take that risk.

Nats have confirmed that English airspace is closed until at least 0100 on Saturday.

Christ, this is going to cost a fortune.

Just had a phone call from my daughter who is in Switzerland at the Large Hadron Collider in Cern - She was due to leave tonight(friday) at 9pm, they have been told thursday is the first available flight, and thats not guarenteed. Trains are all full - Currently trying to rent a car for the long drive home.