Dust cloud closes airports

Rob W

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Barrack Road

The amount spewed from this so far is a drop in the ocean as to what could happen if a big one erupted in our life time. Can anyone remember the docudrama about Yellowstone National Park in America, and the possibility of that erupting an its consequences. Not even 1/100000th of its' yield has erupted in Iceland and people are getting emotional the temperature might go down a degree for a few days, planes grounded etc.. If the yank one erupted it's fair to say I'd hope the toon have won a trophy by that point, and The Fish has finally said something funny.

The amount spewed from this so far is a drop in the ocean as to what could happen if a big one erupted in our life time. Can anyone remember the docudrama about Yellowstone National Park in America, and the possibility of that erupting an its consequences. Not even 1/100000th of its' yield has erupted in Iceland and people are getting emotional the temperature might go down a degree for a few days, planes grounded etc.. If the yank one erupted it's fair to say I'd hope the toon have won a trophy by that point, and The Fish has finally said something funny.

:lol: And aye, called 'Super Volcano' iirc on the Discovery Channel.

Just had a phone call from my daughter who is in Switzerland at the Large Hadron Collider in Cern - She was due to leave tonight(friday) at 9pm, they have been told thursday is the first available flight, and thats not guarenteed. Trains are all full - Currently trying to rent a car for the long drive home.

Your daughter is a particle physicist? Does she know Brian Cox?

Im in portugal right now as it happens, was meant to be home thursday gone

flight is now booked for next saturday, its crazy

only brought a weeks worth of underwear ;)

Just had a phone call from my daughter who is in Switzerland at the Large Hadron Collider in Cern - She was due to leave tonight(friday) at 9pm, they have been told thursday is the first available flight, and thats not guarenteed. Trains are all full - Currently trying to rent a car for the long drive home.

Wasn't he Hannibal Lector in Man Hunter?

I had to rearrange the visit I was supposed to do on Thursday for next Friday (fuck I hate travelling on a Friday!), trouble is this is now looking like it could be another couple of days, once it restarts does anyone know if all flights due after that will be put back to clear a backlog or will it be a case of existing flights go first?

ie my flight is 6.45 on Friday am. If they reopen the flights on Thursday is it likely that mine will go on time?

Astrophysicist - still a student like. She doesnt know the Cox (hopefully) but there was a Horizon on dark matter recently, the featured expert of which has not only offered her research placement to study neutrino stars, but is also a Newcastle fan from Whitley Bay.

Current update- managed to get train to Paris - now caught in french rail strike - staying in nearest available hotel in Rouen. Ferry booked from Dieppe Monday. Sounds like she's having a blast.

Are we ok to start making jokes about peoples travel chaos or do we have to wait until the dust settles.

How about we make jokes about you backing Dennis Wise and George Osborne in one lifetime?

Are we ok to start making jokes about peoples travel chaos or do we have to wait until the dust settles.

How about we make jokes about you backing Dennis Wise and George Osborne in one lifetime?

;)

or years

but since no-one has any idea what a "safe" level of dust is I expect the economic effects to kick in and "low level" flights will start before next weekend

My boss is stuck in Florida for a week at least, maybe a fortnight. If he can't get back we're fucked.

Isnt that known as a "career oppurtunity" as The Clash may have said?...someone may fill his shoes in the short term?

what do you do?...has he not got a blackberry?....seems thats all bosses need nowadays...conference calls etc etc....lots of ways to keep in touch...

or has the unthinking so and so got the keys to the canteen? ;)

My boss is stuck in Florida for a week at least, maybe a fortnight. If he can't get back we're fucked.

Isnt that known as a "career oppurtunity" as The Clash may have said?...someone may fill his shoes in the short term?

what do you do?...has he not got a blackberry?....seems thats all bosses need nowadays...conference calls etc etc....lots of ways to keep in touch...

or has the unthinking so and so got the keys to the canteen? ;)

He's an optician. If he's not here testing eyes we're not making money. The alternative is to get a locum in, but they charge top dollar.

End of the world thread anyone?? ;)

Nice pics..Scroll down for all.

http://www.grapevine.is/News/ReadArticle/E...s-Julia-Staples

Get ready for decades of Icelandic fireworks

* 17:38 16 April 2010 by Kate Ravilious

We're not quite back to the pre-plane era, but air travel over and around the north Atlantic might get a lot more disrupted in the coming years.

Volcanologists say the fireworks exploding from the Eyjafjallajökull volcano on Iceland, which is responsible for the ash cloud that is grounding all commercial flights across northern Europe, may become a familiar sight. Increased rumblings under Iceland over the past decade suggest that the area is entering a more active phase, with more eruptions and the potential for some very large bangs.

"Volcanic activity on Iceland appears to follow a periodicity of around 50 to 80 years. The increase in activity over the past 10 years suggests we might be entering a more active phase with more eruptions," says Thorvaldur Thordarson, an expert on Icelandic volcanoes at the University of Edinburgh, UK. By contrast, the latter half of the 20th century was unusually quiet.

Along with increased volcanism, more seismic activity has been recorded around Iceland, including the magnitude-6.1 quake that rocked Reykjavik in May 2008.

Edited by Park Life