Hughton says not many signings this summer.

Happy Face

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was pleasantly surprised in January but this summers shopping is going to be a different kettle of fish and I think the pleasant surprise is going to be a one off unfortunately.

I hope to be proved wrong.

Just need to look at the Birmingham squad to see it isn't impossible to do well with a fairly average squad.

We definitely need a centre mid and could really do with a proven goalscorer but their squad on paper is hardly world beating.

Steven Carr at right back ffs!? :o

In fact their squad:

Goalkeeper:

1 Maik Taylor 13 Colin Doyle 25 Joe Hart

Defender:

2 Stephen Carr 3 David Murphy 6 Liam Ridgewell 14 Roger Johnson 15 Scott Dann 21 Stuart Parnaby 27 Gregory Vignal 30 Dan Preston

Midfielder:

4 Lee Bowyer 7 Sebastian Larsson 12 Barry Ferguson 17 Michel 18 Keith Fahey 24 Jay O'Shea 26 Lee Carsley 28 Teemu Tainio 29 Ashley Sammons 33 Craig Gardner

Striker:

8 Garry O'Connor 9 Kevin Phillips 10 Cameron Jerome 11 Christian Benitez 16 James McFadden 32 Jake Jervis

How many of those are much better than the players we currently have? and they are currently sitting in 9th.

seems funny how all of the players that left us have turned in decent stints for their clubs eh....

Multi Millionaires do repeat their mistakes.

Ashley has repeatedly lied to the public, he's repeatedly brought the wrong man in, and he's repeatedly shown himself to be a buffoon.

''not many'' could mean as many as 4 or 5 which is what is required - it's a non story ffs - depends what each individual's interpretation of not many is, and yet all the pessimists react as if it means 1 or 2 WHY ????

Players who look as tho they could be ok or defo ok for the prem are - Harper, Enrique, Colo, Taylor, Guti, Barton, Nolan,Smith, Carroll

Players who could be are - Simpson, Lovenkrands, Ameobi, Routledge, Guthrie, Williamson, Hall, Ranger, Kadar

Players who are not imo - R. Taylor, Best, Pancrate, Butt,

There will imo be a minimum of 3 to replace the outgoing lads which will certainly inc' Butt and Pancrate and poss' even Hall, whilst I wouldnt be surprised if there were as many as 5 new in.

There's clearly fuck all money available, and the heads at the club have seen Fulham/birmingham etc excell with average players and a good team spirit and decided that our team that was too good to go down has improved to survive in the PL.

is that a fact ?

the share from domestic and overseas tv rights is something like £35/40m next season.

£1.3 billion over 3 years overseas and £1.8 for domestic so there's plenty going to be sloshing about esp with capacity 52,000's every week, merchandising back to normal, corporate back to normal.

FFS the negativity on here is unreal - MA will give CH enough to ensure survival at least - does anyone think he wants to continue losing £500k per week like he has been doing in the coca cola ??

Does anyone think he wants a repeat of the previous season leaving his reputation in tatters ??? He will not repeat the same mistakes again - he is a multi millionaire businessman - they dont repeat their mistakes - that is why they are multimillionaires.

Thanks for the clarification Derek.

I suspect we're following the Burnley model, not the Birmingham model. Stick with the players who got you promoted, stay solvent, get relegated, get re-promoted maybe. Make a profit.

A top class midfielder and striker would transform our prospects for next season. Maybe we'll sign these as a minimum, that would be a pleasant surprise.

You only see what you want to see, I have clearly stated I don't like Ashley and co, I have even said it in this thread and agreed with someone else who has said it!

I was defending the manager and one of those reasons was because the board would not be backing him YOU FUCKING STUPID OLD TWAT! :o

Learn to read before you try and make a point in future.

well, basically, you know nowt idiot...............you and your chums opposed me for fuck knows how long when I said the Halls and Shepherd would be very difficult to replace with better. So who is agreeing with what they want to see ?

Even now the tits on NO are trying to make out that a good balance sheet = successful football club. What a bunch of wankers. The sad thing is that the press quote comments on there and portray it as being the voice of Newcaslte Supporters! ie people like you, who live in Hemel Hempstead or wherever you live and think yoyu know about the club when you couldn't tell the difference between Irving Nattrass and David Craig just like some wankers have done today.

Your reference to my age only shows you up to be the immature idiot that you are. People iike me have seen more games in any 5 year period in the 1980's or which you care to name in the last 50 years when we were shit, before the Halls and Shepherd made us into the attractive club that arseholes like you decided to latch onto and call yourself a supporter of.

I look forward to seeing a southern idiot like you accepting that someone like me and others, have more of a finger on the pulse of the club than you do.

Until such a time happens that you can admit it.

Fuck off and post on Watford boards or whateveer you like. You should feel at home though as Mike has shown us already that he is prepared to outspend those clubs but has no intention whatsoever of matching those clubs that are smaller than us but are prepared to pay the going rate in wages to the other clubs that bought these so called "trophy signings. whoever the ones that we bought are ?

Took you ages to finally press submit on that and as usual it had NOTHING to do with what I had posted. I will say again, I never said "anyone would be better" than the Halls and Shepherd and I was urging caution about the "new billionaire owner" before he had even finalised the takeover, you have acknowledged this before, well at least come out with something like "ok maybe you weren't saying it but plenty of others were". I actually think there is something wrong with you, this issue has taken over your life and you just can't stop banging on about it.

The points in my original posts in this threads were (the ones you attacked as being pro Ashley were).

1) How the fuck is Hughton being lumped into the same bracket as Ashley and Lambiarse just because THEY won't be giving him the backing to make signings!? and because of this he is pubicly backing a lot the players he knows he will have to use again this season, how is that wrong?

2) There are some pretty poor squads in the premier league so it's not out of the question that with a couple of additions we could survive and possible survive fairly comfortably.

I didn;t mention Hughton :unsure:

He deserves the plaudits he is getting for the job he has done with one hand tied behind his back, like all our managers had between the late 1950's until 1992.

Whether or not he should be commended for putting up with it, when he knows he will carry the can for certain failure, because to have a chance of fulfilling the potential and hopes of this club it's essential that you have the backing required, is something else entirely.

Edited by LeazesMag

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/foo..._reckons_Nolan/

NEWCASTLE UNITED midfielder Kevin Nolan has urged owner Mike Ashley to keep his hand in his pocket this summer, insisting that big-money buys are not the secret to establishing the club back in the Premier League.

The Scouser, who has emerged as a leading contender to take the captaincy on a full-time basis next season, expects to see three or four new faces recruited during the upcoming transfer window, adding depth to the squad that will soon face the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea.

Nolan warned any potential new arrivals to forget about coming to Tyneside if their only motivation is money.

The former Bolton ace believes that in the past too many players were drawn to St James’ Park for the wrong reasons and Newcastle were guilty of assuming that a high price tag brought a guarantee of quality.

Before agreeing to part with their precious cash he wants the club to scrutinise a players’ character to prevent the dressing room becoming populated by inflated egos.

In short, Nolan believes star names are a thing of the past at Newcastle.

“I think the core of the squad is already there for next season. Whoever we bring in it can’t just be done on the basis that ‘he’s a top player, he’s a big name, he’ll do’. It can’t be like last time,” said Nolan.

“We’re not going to make a big name signing and then focus everything on that player.

“We’re not going to splash out £20m on this one, £10m on that one and £5m on that one and suddenly say these are the main men. I don’t think this club thinks like that any more. I don’t think you can do that any more with the way finances in football have gone.

“Chris is very shrewd, he knows what he wants and he knows how to get it. He is very good with the business side of things as well as the football side of it. I’m sure he will get the players he wants. I’m sure we will see three or four new additions this summer but they will be great additions.

“They will be players who fit into the squad and give us something a little bit different.

They are going to be people who connect with the place, players who buy into what Newcastle United is all about, which at this moment in time is a togetherness, grit and determination. We will play our football when we can, but we want to win, that’s the mentality we have as a group.

You have to give your heart to this football club because there is no point coming here if you’re not going to do that.

“The least the fans demand is effort and commitment, and a passion about playing for this club. If you’re not up for that it’s not worth bothering to come here. I think that’s why some players have found it difficult to come up here in the past, they didn’t fully understand that or appreciate it.”

Nolan also had an answer to those critics who have already labelled the squad as candidates to make an immediate return to the Championship.

As a leading light in the Bolton squad that rose from the Championship ten years ago to become an established top-flight force, he believes that Newcastle can take heart from the fighting spirit that transformed the Trotters from Premier League interlopers into a side challenging for European honours.

“It is all about being realistic.

I am as ambitious as anyone for this club but we are a newly-promoted side and we need to get a foothold back in the division.

“When we did it with Bolton we went up via the play-offs.

But all of the teams, (Bolton, Blackburn and Fulham) who went up that season stayed up. It was the first time that had happened in the Premier League.

“They all went on to become established Premier League teams and also progressed to play European football within five years. It will be great if we can do that within five years for this club.

We firmly believe that’s where we belong and that is where we will remain.”

It will be great if we can be like Bolton, Blackburn or Fulham within 5 years. The internal lowering of expectations is clearly complete.

Edited by trophyshy

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/foo..._reckons_Nolan/

NEWCASTLE UNITED midfielder Kevin Nolan has urged owner Mike Ashley to keep his hand in his pocket this summer, insisting that big-money buys are not the secret to establishing the club back in the Premier League.

The Scouser, who has emerged as a leading contender to take the captaincy on a full-time basis next season, expects to see three or four new faces recruited during the upcoming transfer window, adding depth to the squad that will soon face the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea.

Nolan warned any potential new arrivals to forget about coming to Tyneside if their only motivation is money.

The former Bolton ace believes that in the past too many players were drawn to St James’ Park for the wrong reasons and Newcastle were guilty of assuming that a high price tag brought a guarantee of quality.

Before agreeing to part with their precious cash he wants the club to scrutinise a players’ character to prevent the dressing room becoming populated by inflated egos.

In short, Nolan believes star names are a thing of the past at Newcastle.

“I think the core of the squad is already there for next season. Whoever we bring in it can’t just be done on the basis that ‘he’s a top player, he’s a big name, he’ll do’. It can’t be like last time,” said Nolan.

“We’re not going to make a big name signing and then focus everything on that player.

“We’re not going to splash out £20m on this one, £10m on that one and £5m on that one and suddenly say these are the main men. I don’t think this club thinks like that any more. I don’t think you can do that any more with the way finances in football have gone.

“Chris is very shrewd, he knows what he wants and he knows how to get it. He is very good with the business side of things as well as the football side of it. I’m sure he will get the players he wants. I’m sure we will see three or four new additions this summer but they will be great additions.

“They will be players who fit into the squad and give us something a little bit different.

They are going to be people who connect with the place, players who buy into what Newcastle United is all about, which at this moment in time is a togetherness, grit and determination. We will play our football when we can, but we want to win, that’s the mentality we have as a group.

You have to give your heart to this football club because there is no point coming here if you’re not going to do that.

“The least the fans demand is effort and commitment, and a passion about playing for this club. If you’re not up for that it’s not worth bothering to come here. I think that’s why some players have found it difficult to come up here in the past, they didn’t fully understand that or appreciate it.”

Nolan also had an answer to those critics who have already labelled the squad as candidates to make an immediate return to the Championship.

As a leading light in the Bolton squad that rose from the Championship ten years ago to become an established top-flight force, he believes that Newcastle can take heart from the fighting spirit that transformed the Trotters from Premier League interlopers into a side challenging for European honours.

“It is all about being realistic.

I am as ambitious as anyone for this club but we are a newly-promoted side and we need to get a foothold back in the division.

“When we did it with Bolton we went up via the play-offs.

But all of the teams, (Bolton, Blackburn and Fulham) who went up that season stayed up. It was the first time that had happened in the Premier League.

“They all went on to become established Premier League teams and also progressed to play European football within five years. It will be great if we can do that within five years for this club.

We firmly believe that’s where we belong and that is where we will remain.”

It will be great if we can be like Bolton, Blackburn or Fulham within 5 years. The internal lowering of expectations is clearly complete.

I wonder if Nolan believes what he is saying or just trotting out the [professional] party line though ?

The tragic point here is the amount of idiots out there who are accepting it all and didn't like what they had before.

Has Nolan forgot how awful he looked in the prem last season?

I like his attitude, but he must know his best time as an attacking premiership player is behind him. He has what it takes to be a defensive midfield player though ie he is tough, puts his foot in, and doesn't need to run so much. So long as he doesn't have to man mark someone who is mobile with a lot of pace.

Has Nolan forgot how awful he looked in the prem last season?

At Peterboro and Reading I was struck by how heavy and slow he looked. Our midfield lacks pace and invention imo.

We need the likes of Collocinni to perform much better this time around, to name one player. In fact it is essential he performs much better than last time. As well as the obvious few signings to give pace, power and energy up front and in central midfield.

Nolan will need to work on his fitness and mobility for next season. Despite playing in a great many games this season he's never looked particularly fit and doesn't seem to cover a lot of ground (hasn't really needed to).

I've been slated on NO for going on about how much Ashley has managed to lower peoples expectations, but its true.

Too many people seem to satisfied with scraping around in the premier league next season for enough points to finish 17th and playing shit football.

If Ashley has any intention whatsover of competing for major honours in a few years time then he needs to spend a minimum of £25 million net this summer, next summer and every summer, hopefully more than than that. If he's not prepared to do that the he should get out of the club.

Otherwise we can look forward to years and years of mediocrity and if we are really lucky we might end up with an established top division tream like Bolton or Blackburn. Newcastle are bigger and better than that.

''not many'' could mean as many as 4 or 5 which is what is required - it's a non story ffs - depends what each individual's interpretation of not many is, and yet all the pessimists react as if it means 1 or 2 WHY ????

Players who look as tho they could be ok or defo ok for the prem are - Harper, Enrique, Colo, Taylor, Guti, Barton, Nolan,Smith, Carroll

Players who could be are - Simpson, Lovenkrands, Ameobi, Routledge, Guthrie, Williamson, Hall, Ranger, Kadar

Players who are not imo - R. Taylor, Best, Pancrate, Butt,

There will imo be a minimum of 3 to replace the outgoing lads which will certainly inc' Butt and Pancrate and poss' even Hall, whilst I wouldnt be surprised if there were as many as 5 new in.

There's clearly fuck all money available, and the heads at the club have seen Fulham/birmingham etc excell with average players and a good team spirit and decided that our team that was too good to go down has improved to survive in the PL.

is that a fact ?

the share from domestic and overseas tv rights is something like £35/40m next season.

£1.3 billion over 3 years overseas and £1.8 for domestic so there's plenty going to be sloshing about esp with capacity 52,000's every week, merchandising back to normal, corporate back to normal.

FFS the negativity on here is unreal - MA will give CH enough to ensure survival at least - does anyone think he wants to continue losing £500k per week like he has been doing in the coca cola ??

Does anyone think he wants a repeat of the previous season leaving his reputation in tatters ??? He will not repeat the same mistakes again - he is a multi millionaire businessman - they dont repeat their mistakes - that is why they are multimillionaires.

Thanks for the clarification Derek.

you are a feckin hoot mate :o

I've been slated on NO for going on about how much Ashley has managed to lower peoples expectations, but its true.

Too many people seem to satisfied with scraping around in the premier league next season for enough points to finish 17th and playing shit football.

If Ashley has any intention whatsover of competing for major honours in a few years time then he needs to spend a minimum of £25 million net this summer, next summer and every summer, hopefully more than than that. If he's not prepared to do that the he should get out of the club.

Otherwise we can look forward to years and years of mediocrity and if we are really lucky we might end up with an established top division tream like Bolton or Blackburn. Newcastle are bigger and better than that.

ofcourse we've got lower expectations ffs we were relegated less than a year ago and it was a relegation that had been looming for a while.

We were scratting around for points pre-Ashley.

It is no wonder they are trying to lower expectations when we still have fans trotting out the "we are better than that" routine.

You may have also forgotten that he tried to sell and couldn't. There's no queue at the door now we are back either.

I also doubt he is going to sanction anunproven prem manager with a blank chequebook.

We would all love a return to yesteryear, but that's not going to happen so much better to be realistic than deluded.

I will be delighted with 4 or 5 good additions and surviving next year.

We will then be stronger, no Hughtons worth and be in a far better position to continue building.

I am sure this is what will happen and fully support it.

ofcourse we've got lower expectations ffs we were relegated less than a year ago and it was a relegation that had been looming for a while.

It is no wonder they are trying to lower expectations when we still have fans trotting out the "we are better than that" routine.

You may have also forgotten that he tried to sell and couldn't. There's no queue at the door now we are back either.

Stop repeating their lies man. He called an offer of £400m an insult.

I also doubt he is going to sanction anunproven prem manager with a blank chequebook.

He'll NEVER prove himself without funds to do it either. Tying his hands behind his back is dooming him to failure.

We would all love a return to yesteryear, but that's not going to happen so much better to be realistic than deluded.

It's not deluded to recognise we're one of the most widely supported teams in the country. We have a huge catchment area that's virtually unopposed and as such there's no reason why we shouldn't compete with the best. I recognise the reasons we can't and won't, they're running the club, it's not deluded to recognise that and argue for more.

4 or 5 additions of what quality? Kids? Championship? Top half rejects?

We will then be stronger, no Hughtons worth and be in a far better position to continue building.

Adding 5 players as bad as the ones we have will improve nothing.

He'll NEVER prove himself without funds to do it either. Tying his hands behind his back is dooming him to failure.

It's not deluded to recognise we're one of the most widely supported teams in the country. We have a huge catchment area that's virtually unopposed and as such there's no reason why we shouldn't compete with the best. I recognise the reasons we can't and won't, they're running the club, it's not deluded to recognise that and argue for more.

nice to see people now saying the things I have always said.

I thought you said Shepherd never did a thing wrong.

indeed. It isn't so long ago the misguided fools were booing the team for only finishing 5th in the premiership and considered mediocrity to be not qualifying for europe.

Quite a stunning turnaround to be honest.

you won't find anywhere where I said that.....

you won't find anywhere where I said that.....

And the above is no different to what I've ALWAYS said.

Seems we both make up total bollocks about what other posters said in hindsight :o

We'll see.

At the moment my hope is this:

The club's ownership has demonstrated time and again they have little or no ability to understand the feeling amongst supporters. From the sacking of Allardyce, to putting the club up for sale at the end of last season (a PR stunt to manage a backlash that was never going to come), they react against what they think the fans think.

My suspicion is that whilst we are reading the likes of Mick Dennis et al in the press thinking 'wtf?', the club's hierarchy are reading thinking 'really? oh shit'. Hence all the talk in the press from them about managing expectations. Maybe they are thinking that our expectations are for a return to the days of breaking the world transfer record, signing Owen, splashing 10m on a luxury midfielder. Since no one associated with the club is thinking like this, the messages are bing interpreted as 'we will spend nothing', when in fact what they are doing is saying 'we arent going to spend 40m'.

Lets not forget, the club's owners are southerners whose friends in football and the media are southerners and we all know what sort of cliches they trot out about us. If they take advice from these sort of people, they will be thinking our expectations will now be sky high, cos that what geordies are like.

My hope is that they have sought to dampen expectations because they feared that we would have over-inflated ideas about next season. Disappointingly for me, it seems that there may be an element of truth in that when talk of finishing 9th / emulating Birmingham is considered beneath us. Having 50,000 fans doesnt mean we can magically ignore the financial realities.