What mood are you in and why?

catmag

Had a canny day out on the bike around the country roads in Durham. Up Lanchester and South Moor way. Lovely sweeping roads through the fields and hills with not a car in sight.

Took this picture on Waldridge fell. A stones throw from my house

null_zpsdda00e65.jpg

Come tomorrow lunchtime...

firepits.jpg

:lol:

Bank holidays spent with the family out somewhere or on the piss with the lads. I really must try that sometime, sounds nice.

At work, shift 3 of 4 12 hour nights, in the house at 7.15, up at 11 for a funeral, Will have one pint only with my pals grieving family then back home and try and get forty winks for another 12 hours work. After that, home for a couple hours kip then need to take the missus to hospital at dinner time for an appointment. If I'm awake that night to watch our match I'll be amazed, a couple of pints and I'll be a waste of a good shirt.

None of you know me but I would really appreciate some advice. I think I have depression.I am miserable. I hate my university course so Ive been doing badly. For the last couple of months last term I barely left my room cause I didn't want to see anyone or more importantly have have anyone see me like this. This leads to a vicious circle of me lying in bed getting into some very dark places and then becoming more miserable and less able to think about anything else. When I have been with my friends over the summer and I've ended up drunk there been a couple of times when I've broken down and tried to explain myself to them. That's the only time I've talked to anyone about this and it hasn't helped whatsoever because I don't think my friends take it all that seriously when we're drunk. Today I haven't been able to stop crying.

The people I really want to tell are my parents but I cant summon up the courage. I can't explain why I'm like this because I've had everything I've ever needed from them and I don't want to let them down. Basically I have no idea how to deal with this so I'm asking you, some faceless people on the internet, for any advice or help you could offer me. Any experiences which anyone would be willing to share with me would be really appreciated.

The only reason I posted here was cause it seems to be an older crowd who might have something useful to tell me. You're right though. I need to tell my parents.

Talk to your mam and dad. If you can't do that then there must be people at uni, like a tutor that could point you in the right direction to get some help.

Or go to the doctor. Or ring the Samaritans. Basically talk to someone but don't talk to your drunken mates.

What Gemmill said.

Talk to your parents, speak to your tutor and your student councellor.

Try to get out somewhere during the day, even if its just sitting in a park staring at the sky.

Your student councellor should probably be your first port of call- they'll be able to point you in the right direction, and, if you can't face telling your parents, they may be able to make that first call for you.

Best of luck mate.

I don't think you need to be a psychiatrist to diagnose depression from what you've said. You really need help with this asap mate, without knowing your family or friend situation no one here can be more specific. You have to tell someone though and you will feel better and begin to get to the root of the problem. Gemmill's suggestions were good.

Thank you, and you're both right. I know it'll seem weird but writing it out to people who don't know me actually helped me know what I need to do.

edit:-

i.e. talk to someone properly.

Edited by RobH

As a parent I can only say if you were my son Id be desperate to help and really sad if you had to go through this alone.

Sometimes at any age there seems to be no light at then end of the tunnel but a wiser older head can often help you find it.

One of my daughters had problems at Uni and at the end of the day it just wasn't right for her. She's now doing great.

Tell your parents everything and Im sure they'll help you through this.

If you can't then seek out and Aunty Uncle or even have a chat with your GP. It's nowt to be embarrassed about as we all get overwhelmed at times.

Whatever you do, try and stay away from drink while your heads all over the place.

Good luck.

I was very fucking depressed at about 21, I'd just left Uni and I couldn't get a job & I hadn't hit the ground running in a world that Uni did absolutely sweet fuck all to prepare me for. So I was quite knacked and same as yourself I was very bound up in my room and very intraverted - focussing more on negatives than positives & not really seeing any positives at all. I'd landed in a recession, Keegan fucked off, we got relegated & generally I felt low all the time - all whilst regretting a shite degree I stuck out & feeling incredibly direction-less, especially when a lot of my good friends were very sorted in what they wanted to do & there was me.

Same as yourself I'd crack on with my mates about it when pissed but when that haze ascends you're back to square one. I think a lot of it came from having nothing to do because it's a domino effect - one lazy day can lead to another etc etc & you've got no motivation to do anything which leads to less motivation & an obvious but peircing sense of helplessness which leads to a simple task feeling daunting

I've had it on a couple of occasions, quite bad first time I went to the Doctors, which was difficult to do but I was told the score almost instantaneously because I couldn't actually speak for crying & they hoyed me on prozac like a surprising amount of people in their early twenties & after a number of weeks it did have an effect which was a reverse domino effect and I felt I could see and do more and more things and not have problems with them etc etc,

It caught up with me again one winter, worse as I'd lost a job & had nothing to do at all but was generally still ok to go and see friends and go on nights out because I had the money to spend - so I could say go to visit a friend from Uni and spend a fortune getting mortal with nothing to keep me busy. I caught a virus and got quite ill but never went to the Doctors and ended up losing about two stone - but even though I was better I never felt better and felt generally very very tired all the time and couldn't walk up the street, tiredness and fear basically.

The solutions were simple enough but difficult at the time -

1. Visit a Doctor - even talking about it is a massive step forward and they deal with people like you every single day.

2. Second time round I started taking the dog for very long walks, at least an hour a day and I'd play football in quite an intense game a couple of times a week.

So aye - keep busy and try and nip it in the bud but it's important you act on it now - as I've said - domino effect - go and see a GP.

I'm not sure any of this makes sense but yeh best wishes.

Go to your GP first and foremost. There doesn't need to be a reason behind you feeling depressed

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endogenous_depression

Don't be scared by the terminology. It basically means some people become depressed despite having perfectly happy lives. Some depression management through the local psychology service, cutting back on alcohol and, if necessary further down the line, an SSRI (anti depressant) will have you feeling a lot better by Xmas

Right - it's a subject that he does know something about & he is qualified in. He works in mental health.

For some context - read my post - I was on prozac for a period of time and it really helped.

should a mental health worker be giving anonymous advice on a football forum?

Yes. It's not a diagnosis, it's advice. In an area that he's more than qualified to give advice in.