What mood are you in and why?

catmag

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Working from home is fucking brilliant isnt it?

Aye I'm sure it's fucking wonderful if you've not got kids. I get shafted with the school runs and anytime one of them "isn't feeling well" and gets sent home or has to stay off. 

That's not even mentioning extended family members just showing up and leaving with their nose out of joint because I didn't offer to put the kettle on. Aye thanks for stopping by but fuck off, I'm busy. 

Mrs B bumped into our new neighbours in the supermarket on her lunch break the other day, subtle as a brick through a window they are. "Oh you're on your lunch break? I said to John you must have a job, didn't I John? I've seen you coming and going most days and I said to John I think she has a job. Didn't I say that John?"  

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Aye I'm sure it's fucking wonderful if you've not got kids. I get shafted with the school runs and anytime one of them "isn't feeling well" and gets sent home or has to stay off. 

That's not even mentioning extended family members just showing up and leaving with their nose out of joint because I didn't offer to put the kettle on. Aye thanks for stopping by but fuck off, I'm busy. 

Mrs B bumped into our new neighbours in the supermarket on her lunch break the other day, subtle as a brick through a window they are. "Oh you're on your lunch break? I said to John you must have a job, didn't I John? I've seen you coming and going most days and I said to John I think she has a job. Didn't I say that John?"  

I have no kids and live 12 thousand miles away from any of my family.

Working from home is the best.

• Haha 5

31 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

That's just life generally, to be fair.

Ah, touché.

15 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I have no kids and live 12 thousand miles away from any of my family.

Working from home is the best.

If the start of 2024 pans out anything like this year has for me I might be looking to do the same tbh. How safe are the Barrow-Downs these days?

12 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

I do have a kid. School is only 7 minute walk though. Bring him home, give him some snacks get the Lego out, log back on the laptop and move my finger around the pad now and then. Family lives 3hrs away so no popping in. One Sister in Law lives about an hour away but she's dead canny. 

One downside is the neighbour has a 30yr old son on the spectrum and they have regular screaming matches, but that's as entertaining as it is annoying. Latest contretemps was about Christmas presents and apparently the mother wants to be clear that she "FUCKING HATES WRAPPING PRESENTS!" and his calming words were "Well that's why EVERYBODY HATES YOU!

Happy Merry Christmas GIF by Eledraws (Eleonore Bem)

:lol: 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

I do have a kid. School is only 7 minute walk though. Bring him home, give him some snacks get the Lego out, log back on the laptop and move my finger around the pad now and then. Family lives 3hrs away so no popping in. One sister in law lives about an hour away but she's dead canny.

How canny?

The Simpsons Flirt GIF

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

I do have a kid. School is only 7 minute walk though. Bring him home, give him some snacks get the Lego out, log back on the laptop and move my finger around the pad now and then. Family lives 3hrs away so no popping in. One Sister in Law lives about an hour away but she's dead canny. 

One downside is the neighbour has a 30yr old son on the spectrum and they have regular screaming matches, but that's as entertaining as it is annoying. Latest contretemps was about Christmas presents and apparently the mother wants to be clear that she "FUCKING HATES WRAPPING PRESENTS!" and his calming words were "Well that's why EVERYBODY HATES YOU!

Happy Merry Christmas GIF by Eledraws (Eleonore Bem)

We made the rookie error of moving back closer to family shortly after our first was born. Not the smartest decision.

Three of my four are diagnosed autistic. It's impossible to get anything done when they're at home like. The lad needs 24/7 one to one care, can't really take your eyes off him for a second or he's liable to do something mental like shit on the window sill or throw a boiling hot kettle across the kitchen. Thankfully his new favourite activity is simply tipping the mattress off of his bed and using the divan base as a massive drum. Which is great because if I can hear him doing that I know he'll probably be safe for long enough for me to take the bins out or go for a piss.

Sure the neighbours fucking love us.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

We made the rookie error of moving back closer to family shortly after our first was born. Not the smartest decision.

Three of my four are diagnosed autistic. It's impossible to get anything done when they're at home like. The lad needs 24/7 one to one care, can't really take your eyes off him for a second or he's liable to do something mental like shit on the window sill or throw a boiling hot kettle across the kitchen. Thankfully his new favourite activity is simply tipping the mattress off of his bed and using the divan base as a massive drum. Which is great because if I can hear him doing that I know he'll probably be safe for long enough for me to take the bins out or go for a piss.

That sounds really tough mate, really sorry to hear it. What was that comedy with David Tenant called again? Hopefully it's nowhere near that level but I found that brilliant but uncomfortable watching. Ahh, this is it, sure you've probably seen it. There she goes

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Renton said:

That sounds really tough mate, really sorry to hear it. What was that comedy with David Tenant called again? Hopefully it's nowhere near that level but I found that brilliant but uncomfortable watching. Ahh, this is it, sure you've probably seen it. There she goes

Loved that show. That's basically us. Didn't find it uncomfortable at all but probably because all the girls behaviour is completely normal in our house. Ripping up books, throwing mirrors down the stairs, randomly grabbing dummies from toddlers and running off with them, that's our lad on a relatively mellow day. 

It is what it is. We're actually pretty lucky in that we got a diagnosis for him quite early and the school here has a decent autism provision so he's not having to attend mainstream school and his needs are (for the most part) being met. I know some folk in neighbouring towns with non-verbal autistic kids that are facing long battles for diagnoses and having to watch their kids struggle through mainstream school classes, so we could have it a lot worse. 

Best line from that show "aye she's half Rainman. She can throw all the pencils on the floor she just can't count them". 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Jesus man that sounds daunting as all hell. 

Just want to be clear, my complaint about the neighbour isn't the lad on the spectrum, it's his mother. Who is an unrelenting psychopath. She's fallen out with literally everyone who lives within a few doors of her. Including the family who lived in this house before us. She's got a face like a dropkicked binbag too.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Jesus man that sounds daunting as all hell. 

Just want to be clear, my complaint about the neighbour isn't the lad on the spectrum, it's his mother. Who is an unrelenting psychopath. She's fallen out with literally everyone who lives within a few doors of her. Including the family who lived in this house before us. She's got a face like a dropkicked binbag too.

She sounds absolutely delightful. I don't think we're that bad. Yet, anyway. Saying that our lad isn't even 7 yet, there's a good chance he'll manage to tip us over the edge at some point over the next 20 years if he keeps this up.

Hey it's not all bad. He's fucking hilarious when he's not trying to get nominated for a Darwin Award.

• 3 weeks later...

Terrible mood. First full week back at work this week, following a long week end in Centre Parcs, got the January blues. Pile of work has built up in my absence. Completely skint. Problems with extended family. Thinking of going back to bed. 🛏️

I’ve woken up with the Dreaded Lurgy. 

My arse thinks it’s an Icelandic volcano and I reckon I’ll be saying to my breakfast soon too. 

Love January. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Renton said:

Terrible mood. First full week back at work this week, following a long week end in Centre Parcs, got the January blues. Pile of work has built up in my absence. Completely skint. Problems with extended family. Thinking of going back to bed. 🛏️

Centre Parcs aside, this is eerily similar.

5 hours ago, Gemmill said:

I've got 16.5 days left at my current employer. 

So this is my first week back to work but I couldn't. Give. A. Fuuuuuuuck. 

Any gardening leave, or straight back into it?

It was minus bastard 7 this morning. I did the gallant thing and defrosted her car. Then i walked the lad to school.

My nips are only now returning to their normal state. 

Winter Nipples GIF by Celebrity Apprentice Australia

When you finally get that dog, Dave, your very next purchase will be the right gear to walk it in. I can understand why a child alone isn't enough to inspire this in you. 

4 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

When you finally get that dog, Dave, your very next purchase will be the right gear to walk it in. I can understand why a child alone isn't enough to inspire this in you. 

Gemmill's dog is not impressed. 

image.png.a970687159363f22605adeec77303621.png

• Haha 3