reformed smokers

Dr Gloom

i've been off the smokes since new year.

apart from the odd lapse when the wife hasn't been around, i've done well.

despite the fact that i'm over the physical cravings, i still get the mental cravings all the time.

it's murder now the sun is out. i'd love nothig more this afternoon than hit the boozer, smoke endless tabs then spark a fattie up when i get home.

reformed smokers - do the mental cravings ever go away?

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

despite the fact that i'm over the physical cravings, i still get the mental cravings all the time.

it's murder now the sun is out. i'd love nothig more this afternoon than hit the boozer, smoke endless tabs then spark a fattie up when i get home.

Life is short enough why torture yourself? :D

It's murder today like with all of the hot weather about.

I've been off them for just under a year but seeing people standing outside of work enjoying the sun is testing my willpower.

It's murder today like with all of the hot weather about.

I've been off them for just under a year but seeing people standing outside of work enjoying the sun is testing my willpower.

Go on..... :D

Packed in 3 years ago.

Used to suffer the mental "habit" cravings for a while but defintely haven't for at least a year if not longer.

Probably used to smoke 30 a day.

Put a few stone on though because you tend to replace the "mental habit" with a sweet or packet of nuts / crisps in the pub.

It will go tho so don't despair.

Packed in 3 years ago.

Used to suffer the mental "habit" cravings for a while but defintely haven't for at least a year if not longer.

Probably used to smoke 30 a day.

Put a few stone on though because you tend to replace the "mental habit" with a sweet or packet of nuts / crisps in the pub.

It will go tho so don't despair.

Giving up the coke was harder tbh.

the wife, simple as. if i was a single man, i would smoke no doubt.

she adopted a clever approach; if i smoke, sex is off the cards.

Im a relapsed smoker. the simple answer is no.

same, I stopped for 5years and for a time you do stop craving them, they just don't pop into the mind like the do when you smoke, however a sight, a smell, anything can remind you of something from your past when you smoked and the craving will it you like a freight train

5 years man and I've started again in the last 3 weeks, what a wanker!!

That's a tricky one.

How about smoke days and nookie days? :icon_lol:

Im a relapsed smoker. the simple answer is no.

same, I stopped for 5years and for a time you do stop craving them, they just don't pop into the mind like the do when you smoke, however a sight, a smell, anything can remind you of something from your past when you smoked and the craving will it you like a freight train

5 years man and I've started again in the last 3 weeks, what a wanker!!

My mates who gave up just got fat and boring.

That's a tricky one.

there's still the endless grief to put up with on the smoke days.

"you said you'd give up and you never do"

"i don't want you to die of lung cancer"

"your breath smells disgusting, don't kiss me"

etc etc

That's a tricky one.

there's still the endless grief to put up with on the smoke days.

"you said you'd give up and you never do"

"i don't want you to die of lung cancer"

"your breath smells disgusting, don't kiss me"

etc etc

:security:

Put a nicotine patch on her as she sleeps. :security:

The first time I quit I managed four months without one, but caved in one night when I was pissed on holiday. I managed to go the rest of the holiday without any, but then when I got home I started doing it when I was drinking.

I went a couple of years doing that, then I just got a bit fed up of it and the way it was making me feel, so I packed it in completely. Not touched one since, that was well over a year ago. Mental cravings fucked off after a month.

Renton still smokes.

Oddly enough I was just saying to my colleagues today how I have a craving for a cigarette - as Sima says maybe its something to do with the nice weather. It's been 8 years for me now and I still tend to get cravings when I am off the drink. I'd really fancy a spliff too. But, when you know the facts, any sane person would come to the conclusion tobacco is for mugs, so I won't be giving in to temptation.

My old man gave up after he caught cancer 20 odd years back.

He insists it repulses him, but i reckon he still fancies a bine.

I've stuck to matchdays only for a year and a half now...so not had one in about a month. Really wanted one while walking in the sun yesterday. Found it far easier to ignore the craving than I would have a year ago like.

To add to your Gloom, Dr Gloom...My hubby gave up nearly 15 years ago and STILL often fancies a cig! He never has though and I doubt he ever will but especially when he having a pint he wants one. He gave up the day he saw his Dad in hosp after a triple heart bypass.

On the bright side I gave up 8 months ago and rarely think about it now. The only time I get a pang for one is when Im out with friends maybe sat in a beer garden having a glass of wine or enjoying a cappuccino and theyre all smoking....but its just that, a momentary pang. I smoked very littlle in the few years before I stopped, maybe that has something to do with it. The first couple of months I used a Nicorette inhalator occassionally but I barely use that now.

Getting my head together to pack em in in the very near future.

Looking forward to not smoking tbh.

Thats the only way to give up, you have to be ready mentally for it, if you are then its doable.

the other piece of advice Id give is to have an open pack in the house ie give up after youve just opened a box and smoked one. Its a psychological thing, one of the problems with the cravings is that once you've got no tabs then you're mind starts to panic. Stick a box in a drawer so they're out of sight but you know they're there.

Finally, put the cash away that you would have spent each day, stick it in a glass jar near the box of smokes so you can see how much you've got should you become tempted to have one.

The money in a jar thing is a good idea. When giving up anything or changing lifestyle etc it's always best to see the positives and the rewards to keep you going, which is where some people go wrong. I expect seeing that jar fill up every day will be a great incentive.

Being mentally prepared to give up is the key and is the reason I keep failing to pack it in.

The ridiculous thing for me is I only started at 26, I moved banks and all the lads smoked. Just started as the odd one when out drinking but soon develelped into 15 a day.

I will give it up but only when I really want to.

I gave up about 11 years ago after smoking for 16 years on and off. PP is right, I was really ready to quit and it wasn't too bad. I'd advise you to stay off the booze while you're doing it otherwise it's too easy to get back into it. Funnily enough I still get the very occasional pang when I'm really pissed but you know when to spot it and ignore it. Otherwise nothing and I don't miss it at all.

Oh and Parky - for all your Nick O'Teen chat, I remember your pitiful attempts to give up way back :D

I gave up about 11 years ago after smoking for 16 years on and off. PP is right, I was really ready to quit and it wasn't too bad. I'd advise you to stay off the booze while you're doing it otherwise it's too easy to get back into it. Funnily enough I still get the very occasional pang when I'm really pissed but you know when to spot it and ignore it. Otherwise nothing and I don't miss it at all.

Oh and Parky - for all your Nick O'Teen chat, I remember your pitiful attempts to give up way back :security:

Don't fight the power. :icon_lol::D