Carroll agrees new contract deal

Jimbo

By Martin Hardy, 03/07/2010

ANDY CARROLL is on the brink of committing his future to Newcastle after agreeing a new four-year deal.

The in-demand 21-year-old striker is ready to more than treble his current £7,000-a-week salary to stay with his hometown club.

Carroll bagged 19 goals last season as Newcastle cruised through the Championship to make an immediate return to the Premier League.

And the form of the England Under-21 striker caught the eye of Stoke, Birmingham and Blackburn.

But Toon chiefs have held repeated meetings with Carroll's advisors throughout the summer and the striker is ready to sign a new deal that would net him over £1million-a-year.

Carroll's lot has never been higher and Stuart Pearce met the Geordie forward for hush-hush talks to tell him he will be part of Fabio Capello's future plans.

Capello has proven with his repeated use of Emile Heskey that he likes an old-fashioned target man and the 6ft 3in hitman fits ideally into that category.

And Under-21 boss Pearce urged the forward to continue his progress this season and he will be pushing for a full call-up.

Newcastle bosses hope their determination to hang onto Carroll will signal their ambitions to stay in the top flight following their promotion.

Dutch international keeper Tim Krul, who had caught the attention of Sampdoria and Sevilla, has also agreed to a contract extension.

Toon chief Chris Hughton, who does have money to spend, still wants four new faces in his squad by the time the new campaign starts.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Fair enough. Bes striker we have on the books in my opinion.

I think he is the kind of person that will love this and I'm more than willing to give him a go as a regular starter this season.

think it will give him bigger bollocks and hopefully make him fearless when we come up against the big teams.

Can see him getting at least 10 + goals this season.

Happy for him and it will give him a massive boost.

This may be really good work by Hughton i.e making the best of limited resources by a simple number change. He should do fine next season and hopefully this will give him a point to prove that doesn't involve being blind drunk.

People need to remember the last number 9 before getting overly sentimental about the shirt :lol:

This may be really good work by Hughton i.e making the best of limited resources by a simple number change. He should do fine next season and hopefully this will give him a point to prove that doesn't involve being blind drunk.

People need to remember the last number 9 before getting overly sentimental about the shirt :lol:

Aye, indeed. Even if we went out and bought some big name striker (yeah, like that's going to happen) I'd actually prefer Carroll to have it. He work hard thats season and deserves itDidn't Hughton say last season that they were looking at making it a season by season thing for the no9? So if he's good enough this season he can keep it, if not he loses it. Makes sense imo.

Good move. I think he's going to be excellent this season. I saw him play against Juventus in a friendly when he scored against Buffon and thought he must have some bollocks not to have bottled it.

One thing I will say though is that without decent service and someone alongside him with a bit of pace and mobility, he'll be hung out to dry.

Good post Tom.

Hopefully it will give a greater sense of responsibility off the field.

On field, keep on improving No.9.

Just hope once he gets on a bad run and doesn't score for a few games it won't put even more pressure on him, just because he's wearing the 9.

Agree with the decision though. Imagine Shola as No. 9.

Edited by KingKev