Carroll agrees new contract deal

Jimbo

Fair enough. Bes striker we have on the books in my opinion.

I think he is the kind of person that will love this and I'm more than willing to give him a go as a regular starter this season.

think it will give him bigger bollocks and hopefully make him fearless when we come up against the big teams.

Can see him getting at least 10 + goals this season.

unless he improved drastically from the time we were in the Premiership i see him as an 8 goals a season player at this level. he looks like he has, but to what degree, i'm unsure.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know its a bit different in the squad number era and we've been lucky going back as far as Quinn but prior to that we had some absolute shite wearing the number 9 so Carroll shouldn't be scared really.

By Martin Hardy, 03/07/2010

Newcastle bosses hope their determination to hang onto Carroll will signal their ambitions to stay in the top flight following their promotion.

I, for one salute our new ambitious overlords

:lol:

I am worried by this news. Giving Carroll the No.9, while good for giving him a confidence boost, to me implies that we aren't getting a striker this summer. I think if we are going to consolidate our position as a Premiership side, we need to sign at least one striker who is a proven goal scorer in the top flight.

Granted Carroll is the best of what we have, and is the only striker I have faith in to do well next year. Lovenkrands should not be his regular partner, as he is not an out-and-out striker, more an attacking wide player. Best and Shola I wouldn't even have on the bench in an ideal world.

Still, good luck to Carroll. With the right guidence he could become a good premiership striker in 2-3 years.

I am worried by this news. Giving Carroll the No.9, while good for giving him a confidence boost, to me implies that we aren't getting a striker this summer. I think if we are going to consolidate our position as a Premiership side, we need to sign at least one striker who is a proven goal scorer in the top flight.

Granted Carroll is the best of what we have, and is the only striker I have faith in to do well next year. Lovenkrands should not be his regular partner, as he is not an out-and-out striker, more an attacking wide player. Best and Shola I wouldn't even have on the bench in an ideal world.

Still, good luck to Carroll. With the right guidence he could become a good premiership striker in 2-3 years.

I agree apart from I think Lovenkrands is better through the middle these days (but still not good enough).

I agree apart from I think Lovenkrands is better through the middle these days (but still not good enough).

Yes, we need more striking options, but I'd sooner Carroll had the shirt than someone who comes in over the summer. I'm sure the strikers last season will have had it dangling like a carrot in front of them.

Having said that, getting another striker in is only useful if we improve our supply chain. If we're on limited funds, I'd sooner we spent it on improving the midfield so we can create the chances for the strikers we do have. I can't see us getting both.

Having said all that, I think it's another strange announcement by the club. I don't know when squad numbers need to be announced by mind. But, assuming it's not now/imminent, I don't really see the point in telling us now. It would be different if they were unveiling a new signing. Anyway, we shouldn't make too much of it imo.

The announcement isn't strange coming from the club. It's a deliberate act to distract us from the fact that there's very little movement in the transfer market. When you consider how many players were sold when we were relegated it doesn't make sense that they're not being replaced at all. Announcements like this are designed to draw our attention away from that kind of detail.

Consider that in the season we were relegated we had - Given*, Owen, Viduka, Martins, Duff, N'Zogbia, Bassong, and Beye and they've been 'replaced' with Simpson, Routledge**, Best, Perch and Williamson.

* - I realise he was sold halfway through the season, but that was because of the extenuating circumstances and mismanagement at the club.

** - I actually think Routledge is a good player who adds another dimension to our game.

I dunno, his (lovelyhands) movement and pace is pretty good but he needs other players to bring the best out in him (ie. routledge and maybe guti). mind his finishing and hold up play is not great.

I dunno, his (lovelyhands) movement and pace is pretty good but he needs other players to bring the best out in him (ie. routledge and maybe guti). mind his finishing and hold up play is not great.

His finishing is not bad I'd say. He makes the runs off the ball that other players don't, but you're correct in that he needs other players to play the right balls for him to take advantage of them, but that's necessary for someone playing in that role. Hold up play is not great because he doesn't have the physicality to match it with your average Premierleague defender.

I think it's a good, if slightly forced move, by hughton. The longer we go with the number 9 shirt in exodus the more pressure there will be on the player who evenually wears it, and then if that goes tits up 'lets all blame the number'.

There is an article on the mirror sie - nothing special to read but the photo is puzzling me slightly. It's a photoshop job right? Surely that's a backdrop from the shearer testimonial. Probably a dumb statement, but i would love it if they finally gave St James a black and white seated section again like the old family enclosure in the east stand

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Andy-...icle531173.html

Edited by scotty84

happy for carrol to wear number nine. he looks a more credible bet than shola and could devlelop into a decent striker with the right kind of support players around him. we are crying out for a couple of door openers in midfield and a pacey second striker to play off him.

He's very ordinary at PL level imo. Knows where the goal is like but he's a little tart who disappears far too often in games. His movement is ok and he's still quick but not as fast as he was. Squad player at best in an ideal world.

Edited by alex

happy for carrol to wear number nine. he looks a more credible bet than shola and could devlelop into a decent striker with the right kind of support players around him. we are crying out for a couple of door openers in midfield and a pacey second striker to play off him.

In any case I'd put money on Shola never being fit for a full season again (even 3/4s of a season).

The announcement isn't strange coming from the club. It's a deliberate act to distract us from the fact that there's very little movement in the transfer market. When you consider how many players were sold when we were relegated it doesn't make sense that they're not being replaced at all. Announcements like this are designed to draw our attention away from that kind of detail.

Consider that in the season we were relegated we had - Given*, Owen, Viduka, Martins, Duff, N'Zogbia, Bassong, and Beye and they've been 'replaced' with Simpson, Routledge**, Best, Perch and Williamson.

* - I realise he was sold halfway through the season, but that was because of the extenuating circumstances and mismanagement at the club.

** - I actually think Routledge is a good player who adds another dimension to our game.

Maybe but unless you're a fucking idiot (which I appreciate doesn't rule out all our fans) it brings that into focus rather than distracting us from it.

I'm more pleased with getting Krul for a few more years to be honest.

Don't get me wrong we could have been in trouble if we allowed ourselves to be weakened in an already weak area, but Krul is a bigger prospect imo.

I'm more pleased with getting Krul for a few more years to be honest.

Don't get me wrong we could have been in trouble if we allowed ourselves to be weakened in an already weak area, but Krul is a bigger prospect imo.

Did Krul sign a new deal?

ANDY CARROLL is on the brink of committing his future to Newcastle after agreeing a new four-year deal.

The in-demand 21-year-old striker is ready to more than treble his current £7,000-a-week salary to stay with his hometown club.

Carroll bagged 19 goals last season as Newcastle cruised through the Championship to make an immediate return to the Premier League.

And the form of the England Under-21 striker caught the eye of Stoke, Birmingham and Blackburn.

But Toon chiefs have held repeated meetings with Carroll's advisors throughout the summer and the striker is ready to sign a new deal that would net him over £1million-a-year.

Carroll's lot has never been higher and Stuart Pearce met the Geordie forward for hush-hush talks to tell him he will be part of Fabio Capello's future plans.

Capello has proven with his repeated use of Emile Heskey that he likes an old-fashioned target man and the 6ft 3in hitman fits ideally into that category.

And Under-21 boss Pearce urged the forward to continue his progress this season and he will be pushing for a full call-up.

Newcastle bosses hope their determination to hang onto Carroll will signal their ambitions to stay in the top flight following their promotion.

Dutch international keeper Tim Krul, who had caught the attention of Sampdoria and Sevilla, has also agreed to a contract extension.

Toon chief Chris Hughton, who does have money to spend, still wants four new faces in his squad by the time the new campaign starts.

:icon_lol:

Here's the rest.

1 Steve HARPER

2 Fabricio COLOCCINI

3 Jose ENRIQUE

4 Kevin NOLAN

5 -

6 Mike WILLIAMSON

7 Joey BARTON

8 Danny GUTHRIE

9 Andy CARROLL

10 Wayne ROUTLEDGE

11 Peter LOVENKRANDS

12 Danny SIMPSON

14 James PERCH

15 Dan GOSLING

16 Ryan TAYLOR

17 Alan SMITH

18 Jonas GUTIERREZ

19 XISCO

20 Leon BEST

21 Fraser FORSTER

22 -

23 Shola AMEOBI

24 -

25 Kazenga LUALUA

26 Tim KRUL

27 Steven TAYLOR

28 Tamas KADAR

29 Haris VUCKIC

30 Nile RANGER

31 Shane FERGUSON

32 Ryan DONALDSON

ANDY CARROLL is on the brink of committing his future to Newcastle after agreeing a new four-year deal.

The in-demand 21-year-old striker is ready to more than treble his current £7,000-a-week salary to stay with his hometown club.

Carroll bagged 19 goals last season as Newcastle cruised through the Championship to make an immediate return to the Premier League.

And the form of the England Under-21 striker caught the eye of Stoke, Birmingham and Blackburn.

But Toon chiefs have held repeated meetings with Carroll's advisors throughout the summer and the striker is ready to sign a new deal that would net him over £1million-a-year.

Carroll's lot has never been higher and Stuart Pearce met the Geordie forward for hush-hush talks to tell him he will be part of Fabio Capello's future plans.

Capello has proven with his repeated use of Emile Heskey that he likes an old-fashioned target man and the 6ft 3in hitman fits ideally into that category.

And Under-21 boss Pearce urged the forward to continue his progress this season and he will be pushing for a full call-up.

Dutch international keeper Tim Krul, who had caught the attention of Sampdoria and Sevilla, has also agreed to a contract extension.

Toon chief Chris Hughton, who does have money to spend, still wants four new faces in his squad by the time the new campaign starts.

:D

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20100729/kr...2240137_2104891

Official Fish.

Peter Crouch back fellow striker Andy Carroll

ANDY CARROLL can go on to stake his claim with England at senior level – according to one of the country’s most prolific international strikers.

Peter Crouch – who has netted 21 England goals in 40 games – believes Carroll is good enough to pull on a Three Lions shirt and can quickly advance from Stuart Pearce’s under-21 squad.

The Tottenham Hotspur striker was impressed by what he saw of the Carroll last season after he ended the season as top scorer with 19 strikes during Newcastle’s Championship title win. Crouch said: “I know he had a fantastic season last year.

“Hopefully, he can make the step up because he looks like an exciting talent.

“Hopefully, he can show that this season.”

Carroll already has three goals to his name in a black and white shirt after scoring against West Ham United, Stoke City and Manchester City in the 2008/09 campaign.

Crouch had some top-notch advice for the 21-year-old Geordie boy, who is aiming for great things with Newcastle next season.

The World Cup striker, who endured a frustrating tournament in South Africa after being underused by Fabio Capello, said: “I think it is important for him not to be too disappointed if he finds it tough next year in the Premier League.

“For me, it is always difficult making the step up to the next level.

“It is important he is not disheartened if things do not go his way at first.”

Crouch also revealed he was delighted when the Toon secured promotion back to top-flight football because it meant he would be able to visit St James’ Park in the coming season with Tottenham.

The 6ft 7in hitman will make a return to Tyneside on January 22 next year when Spurs come to Toon.

The former Portsmouth, Southampton, Liverpool and Aston Villa man said: “Newcastle are a massive, massive side and they have a huge stadium. I am looking forward to coming back up here with Spurs.

“Whenever I have played Newcastle I have always enjoyed the occasion.

“When they were relegated it was disappointing for the whole league.”