James Perch

Kevin

I thought he had a good game against us and we need some right back cover. Can't help but think that he and Simpson might be two championship level right backs though so I hope the rest of our dealings aren't sideways steps.

Here's the Article:

Nottingham Forest can confirm that James Perch has joined Premier League new boys Newcastle United, subject to a medical.

Newcastle have agreed a fee for the versatile 24 year old, who is on Tyneside to complete the formalities of his switch. Mansfield-born Perch, a graduate of the acclaimed Forest Academy system, made more than 200 appearances for The Reds and also captained the side.

Forest's Chief Executive Mark Arthur said: "James has been a marvellous servant for Nottingham Forest.

"He made it clear that the prospect of a move into the Premier League with Newcastle appealed to him and we couldn't stand in his way.

"I would like to thank him for the service he has given us and wish him all the very best with Newcastle."

Perch had a year left on his existing Forest contract.

Edited by A NICE HAT

From what I remember he seemed all right against us!

Does look to have a bit a drive about him, but I don't think he was all that fast.

Can play RB/CB/CM yeah?

From what I remember he seemed all right against us!

Does look to have a bit a drive about him, but I don't think he was all that fast.

Can play RB/CB/CM yeah?

From what I can gather from forest fans/forums he seemed to be a bit of a whipping boy for alot of them - I watched him a few times last season and I think he played pretty well but it is so hard to judge if his confidence has been shot by the boo boys - in Chrissy we trust - at least Calderwood has worked with him closely so hopefully that should bode well.

the game against us seems to have been the game of his life.

I am pleased he is going for a few of reasons...

I don't really know where he fitted into the squad any more, we have better players in all the positions that he covers in and I don't think he is needed.

I think that for us to get a decent transfer fee for a player who, by all accounts, is not fundamental to the team progressing is a big bonus to invest in our summer transfer targets. We have basically sold a substitute for a good fee.

It also means that we wont have to watch a J.Perch horror show again. He wasn't a terrible player, but because of his lack of games and inability to make a position his - whenever he came on he looked out of his depth and very often cost us big goals and big points, I feared every time an opposition player attacked him at LB towards to end of the season.

No doubt another scapegoat will be promoted to JP status but for now I am pleased that he is moving on and we have got money for him!

I hope he does well at Newcastle and can find a place in the team to show us all that we were wrong about him, just think that step to the prem is a very big one for Perch (especially after seeing him defend this season).

If it is 1 million then surely that will be the best piece of buisness (selling wise) forest have done in years. Can anyone think of a better deal? I'd be tempted to say Collymore, but he was worth every penny of what the scouse paid for him.

I'm by no means a Perch hater, but watching him against Blackpool away it really hit home that he simply isn't good enough for where we want to be anymore. He was/is a useful player to have on the bench, and it isn't his fault he was stuck at left back but when BD eventually swapped him and Gunter around he looked equally suspect. As someone else has very eloquently put, he is a now distant reminder of those league one days. Useful at the time but now redundant.

As the saying goes, "jack of all trades, master of none." I believe this sums up James Perch to a tee.

Whilst some have scapegoated him for the Blackpool defeats, I prefer to remember him playing the defensive midfield role extremely well during the fantastic run we had at the end of the last League One season that saw us promoted to the Championship.

can't say im sad to see him go never thought he was good enough for the first team anyway!

He seems to get a bit of hype I suppose so I'm happy with this. We need the cover and he's fairly young too so may obviously develop.

You could find millions of quote like that on our forums for James Milner, Charles N'Zogbia etc :o

He looked great against us last season anyway.

Those are pretty much every quote I could find on a forum. The most positive points seem to be that he was good in midfield in League 1, and he's versatile.

As the saying goes, "jack of all trades, master of none." I believe this sums up James Perch to a tee.

Might sound daft, but the one thing I'm fairly confident of under the current regime is our ability to shape a youngish player into a reasonably competent exponent of whichever position we need him to play in. I know it's hardly the pre-season clarion call we might be hoping for, but you've got to play to your strengths, however nebulous they may be.

Edited by Meenzer

You could find millions of quote like that on our forums for James Milner, Charles N'Zogbia etc :o

He looked great against us last season anyway.

Those are pretty much every quote I could find on a forum. The most positive points seem to be that he was good in midfield in League 1, and he's versatile.

Someone sign up, ask them how well they think he played against us last season. Give them no indication of how we perceived him playing. Something like 'how did you rate his performance against the top two teams in the championship, to give us an indication of how he will cope in the prem'.

If they say he was average then we know they are talking shit.

I thought he was excellent against us but equally I thought he looked a bit suspect in the play offs.

Hopefully we'll be able to more of the way he was against us out of him. Looks considerably better Raylor like!

Perch Completes Magpies Switch

NEWCASTLE United have today completed the signing of James Perch from Nottingham Forest on a four-year deal.

The 24-year-old, who made 220 appearances for Forest, has signed for an undisclosed fee.

In all, Perch scored 12 goals for the Reds after making his debut as an 18-year-old in August 2004. Last season he made 21 appearances for the Championship side, scoring once.

Perch joined Forest's Academy in 2003 after being on Norwich City's books as a schoolboy, and has shown his versatility by playing across the back-four.

The Mansfield-born player also starred in midfield during his time at the City Ground where he also played under United Assistant Manager Colin Calderwood between 2006 and 2008.

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton was delighted to snap up Perch, a player who was on his radar in the January transfer window and said: "James is a player I've admired for some time and it's great we've been able to secure his services.

"I'm certain he'll prove to be a great addition to our squad."