Sol Campbell

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC and Sky saying he's having a medical today:

Newcastle United look set to pip rivals Sunderland to the signing of defender Sol Campbell on a free transfer.

The former England international is out of contract after his deal with Arsenal ran out this summer.

But despite interest from the Black Cats and Scottish giants Celtic, Campbell appears to have plumped for a move to the newly promoted Magpies.

The 35-year-old is due to arrive in the north east on Tuesday morning for a medical before completing the move.

Campbell could become Newcastle manager Chris Hughton's third summer signing following the arrivals of Dan Gosling and James Perch from Everton and Nottingham Forest respectively.

Hughton is keen to strengthen his defence as the club wait to discover the extent of Steven Taylor's shoulder injury.

Taylor is set to at least miss the start of the campaign, which Newcastle begin away to Manchester United on 16 August, but there are fears he could be sidelined for several months, prompting Hughton to make his move for Campbell.

Sunderland's interest in the former England international diminished in recent weeks after they signed former Magpies defender Titus Bramble from Wigan, while they are also expected to loan John Mensah for another season from Lyon.

Campbell has only recently returned from his honeymoon after being married in Northumberland earlier this month, after which he had indicated a decision on his future would be made public.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/8857775.stm

and Sky: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6281043,00.html

good stop gap signing. if he'd gone somewhere else, we'd all be asking why we weren't in for him. would have been better to have been in for him when he left arsenal for pompey, but he's got the kind of experience we lack. a good short term move, we're unlikely to get better.

now let's get a centre midfielder that can create and a decent pacey striker and suddenly things won't look quite as gloomy

We should have had him years ago but given the lack of depth we have at centre back I think this would be a very good move for us. He looked good whenever I saw him for Arsenal last season and his experience at this level will help all of our other central defenders. Plus, if we do have a limited transfer fund, signing him on a free would mean that we aren't spunking it all away what could end up only being cover for Taylors injury.

Also, can't remember if it was said on here or when I was talking to my mate yesterday but there's not a lot of PL experience at CB when you take Taylor out of the equation.

still quick in a straight line and should bring a calming influence to the inexperienced Williamson and the confidence-dependent Colloccini.

decent signing iyam

Who would you rather start out of Campbell or Williamson with Colo?

I think Williamson should still get the nod ahead of Campbell to see if he copes.

Edited by Flair

I would much rather have Bramble like!

Funny that the RTG lot have suddenly turned around and now he shits gold.

But back on topic: I wish we made this sigining 4 years earlier. He's gonna need a pacy partner to help him out.

Yeh the mackems are morons.

From Campbell is mint/ The mags can only pay a player £15k p/w to Campbell is old and shite and must be on £100k p/w. :unsure:

Tbh I think they're both decent signings in the context that one is a free and the other one only cost £1m. Neither are what you'd call the answer for either side long-term but, especially in the case of Campbell, they probably aren't meant to be.

Fair enough he's not the quickest in the world but he's still a quality defender and can do a good job shoring the defence up - not too disimilar to Brian Kilcline who KK still rates as one of his most important signings for NUFC.

Most people think Sol was finished at that incident against West Ham at Highbury but he proved during his spell at Pompey that he still had plenty to offer

Very, very good signing IMO.

gives us another homegrown player to add to the 8 needed in the squad of 25

We've already got more than enough anyway so it's not even a consideration.

haha its a fuckin shite signing mensah miles better, gonna get fucked by benty, enjoy relegation battle while we get into the europa league, season after champions league, WE ARE SUNDERLAND and WE ARE THE GREATEST TEAM IN THE WORLD, FUCK THE MAGS, DELUDED BARCODE UNWASHED FILTHY INBRED SPACKERMONG DULLARD CUNTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!