Shola speaks

Kitman

Telegraph:

Ameobi's goal-scoring exploits in a Newcastle shirt may have been erratic but his club's return to the top flight following a year in the Championship holds no fear for the former England Under-21 international.

"I know I can score goals in the Premier League," Ameobi said. "There's not really an established pecking order at the moment, which maybe wasn't always the case in the past when someone like Alan (Shearer) was around.

"I was chosen to start last season and I scored a hat-trick in my first home game, but Andy (Carroll) got into the side and finished as top scorer. Things like that happen.

"Nobody knows what's going to happen this season; you just have to make sure you give your all and make sure you're in the best possible shape to show the manager that you're ready for the task ahead."

The 28-year-old Nigeria-born Ameobi, who has scored 42 in 208 appearances for Newcastle over the last decade which has been blighted by injury, is relishing the start of the new season which kicks off for his side at Manchester United on Monday, August 16.

"It's going to be a big year for me personally, but then every year is a big year," Ameobi added. "It's been one injury after another for me in the last couple of seasons, but I can't do anything about that.

"It's not as though there's a weakness there that's affecting me – it's been lots of different injuries that I haven't been able to do anything about.

"I approach every season exactly the same. I want to put myself in the best shape to go out there and do my best as soon as the season begins."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ier-League.html

There's not really an established pecking order at the moment, which maybe wasn't always the case in the past when someone like Alan (Shearer) was around.

I take it he hasnt yet seen the squad numbers then? :unsure:

I like Shola and all but it does amaze me that he's still at the club.

He's just... there. He'll get the odd goal and that seems to be good enough to get his contract renewed time and time again. If he's anything like as lazy this season as he was the last, then we need to call it a day and ship out him. He's not lethal, he's not good enough to start just because he might get the odd goal, and I'd much rather see someone like Ranger play as he has far more energy and offers something different.

He's just... there. He'll get the odd goal and that seems to be good enough to get his contract renewed time and time again. If he's anything like as lazy this season as he was the last, then we need to call it a day and ship out him. He's not lethal, he's not good enough to start just because he might get the odd goal, and I'd much rather see someone like Ranger play as he has far more energy and offers something different.

Pretty much sums up how I feel. Plus he's injury prone, so he's incapable of building consistency.

Pretty much sums up how I feel. Plus he's injury prone, so he's incapable of building consistency.

It's mental that he's survived so many different managers as well. :unsure:

I said last year that having this clown as our main striker meant the death of hope and despite Carroll's emeregnce I see no reason to change that view - we will be shit until we stop relying on absolute tools like this bloke.

I honestly think it's about 6 seasons since he's been properly fit. That's not me defending him btw, just showing how fucking ridiculous it is that he keeps getting contracts.