Is it just me?

wykikitoon

I have been with my present company for two years now, I moved to the company for job security as my old company was slowing down. It was a good move as that company has now gobe bust. It was a very good company but investment stopped and so did the work. I really enjoyed working there. It was a company of only 29 people and I got job satisfaction, worked 8h days, every now and then did some overtime if needed, but generally a very well run company. At the time I had just bought my first house and needed job security hence the reason I left.

Sooooo. The present market conditions are shite. BSF's have been pulled, investment still not coming as well as expected, however the company I am with are global and we have some massive contracts. I was at the company for a month and I realised, for a job satisfaction, stress free life, the company wasnt for me. The management were not upto it and they were off sick and awful lot. New gaffer came in last Jan and got sacked last Nov for basically being a pissed head and a wanker. He was shocking at man management and organisng things. During his reign it wasnt uncommon to work 60-70h weeks due to his poor organising.

Sooooo New gaffer comes in this Jan and its looking to be the same. He is poor at organising himself and I was giving him the doubt and putting it down to the fact that he is under immense pressure to win jobs. There are certain memebers of the team who clearly arent upto scratch and IMO shouldnt have a job. Yet all we hear is "you cant sack someone" The company I work with are huge and therefore dont want bad publicity I dont think. So these people arent helping my boss.

Now, my boss today dumps a load of work on my desk and asked when I could get it done. I told him next week if I was given the chance, however as previously discussed in a meeting im somewhat busy for another dept. His answer, work more hours.

I already work more hours than expected, and normally it wouldnt bother me. yet its starting to do my tits in because the other people dont do the other time and nothing is said to them. We got told that we should do this because of the economy were in and "were all expected to pull out weight"

I am NOT contracted to work overtime nor do I get paid it, so why should I do it? I dont want to let the company down, but its now having an effect on my personal life.

Should I see HR?

MTFU and get on with it?

Ive really had enough and sent my CV out today, I would rather work for a smaller company, work on smaller projects than work for a cock sucking private school boy southern cunt to be honest.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell them you've got work-related stress, they should shit themselves if they reckon there's a chance you'll go on long term sick leave because of it.

Alternatively, you could simply stop moaning. :D

The 2nd one. Hard work never hurt nee one. Be glad you have a job.

I am greatful, and never afraid of hard work.

What I am "afraid" of is working in an unorgaised environment. My hours I have racked up (unpaid) show I am not afraid of working.

I am NOT contracted to work overtime nor do I get paid it, so why should I do it? I dont want to let the company down, but its now having an effect on my personal life.

I think what it comes down to is whether you consider your job to be a 'career' with progress to climb that corporate ladder and chase the yankee dollar. If so, then thats why you should put the extra time in.... because you see the bigger picture whereas everyone else (the 9 till 5 drones) who will be forever exploited, always an employee, never a shareholder reaping the profits. If you don't see prospects, or you see 'em but you just don't want it, then f*** em.

Theres nowt wrong with working your knackers off for a very good company that rewards such staff with promotion and big bucks.

Doing it for a shit firm is daft.

A good firm breeds hard workers who will go the extra mile, however it sounds as though your firm is take take take, hence the crap management and absenteism.

You only walk these shores for a short time so dont piss your life away with work related shit or stress.

Get out.....NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Line up a new job, tell your boss he needs to offer you better pay/hours/respek or you'll quit. If he doesn't, then quit right there, right then. You'll be leaving to the sounds of your colleagues hushed awe, and the faint sound of one of the girls waving hello to the man in the boat beneath her desk.

I have been with my present company for two years now, I moved to the company for job security as my old company was slowing down. It was a good move as that company has now gobe bust. It was a very good company but investment stopped and so did the work. I really enjoyed working there. It was a company of only 29 people and I got job satisfaction, worked 8h days, every now and then did some overtime if needed, but generally a very well run company. At the time I had just bought my first house and needed job security hence the reason I left.

Sooooo. The present market conditions are shite. BSF's have been pulled, investment still not coming as well as expected, however the company I am with are global and we have some massive contracts. I was at the company for a month and I realised, for a job satisfaction, stress free life, the company wasnt for me. The management were not upto it and they were off sick and awful lot. New gaffer came in last Jan and got sacked last Nov for basically being a pissed head and a wanker. He was shocking at man management and organisng things. During his reign it wasnt uncommon to work 60-70h weeks due to his poor organising.

Sooooo New gaffer comes in this Jan and its looking to be the same. He is poor at organising himself and I was giving him the doubt and putting it down to the fact that he is under immense pressure to win jobs. There are certain memebers of the team who clearly arent upto scratch and IMO shouldnt have a job. Yet all we hear is "you cant sack someone" The company I work with are huge and therefore dont want bad publicity I dont think. So these people arent helping my boss.

Now, my boss today dumps a load of work on my desk and asked when I could get it done. I told him next week if I was given the chance, however as previously discussed in a meeting im somewhat busy for another dept. His answer, work more hours.

I already work more hours than expected, and normally it wouldnt bother me. yet its starting to do my tits in because the other people dont do the other time and nothing is said to them. We got told that we should do this because of the economy were in and "were all expected to pull out weight"

Should I see HR?

MTFU and get on with it?

Ive really had enough and sent my CV out today, I would rather work for a smaller company, work on smaller projects than work for a cock sucking private school boy southern cunt to be honest.

Always a tricky one this. Buy the boss more beers at lunchtime?

do you really need the big bucks? or could you manage your life on a smaller salary?

my advice would be to go somewhere where you actually enjoy the work. stress = early grave.

as others have said, line something else up 1st (if you can) then walk in to the boss and tell the fucka to stuff his fuckin job. you're a better person than the 'lickspittle' the fucka thinks you are.

always remember, you are not a slave. you enterered into a contract to provide an amount of work for an agreed amount of pay. if they are taking the piss then tell them to fuck off. you may end up poorer because of this but you'll have more self respect and more control over YOUR life.

I remember when I'd been with the company 2 years and did lots of overtime and perceived other people to not be pulling their weight.

I'm coming up to 10 years now and I couldn't have done a minutes overtime in the last 5 years.

Just do what you're contracted to mate, It's not like any of the global corporations are handing out massive bonuses to repay anyone (except executives and sales).

They'll work you to the bone and blame the downturn. They won't reward you and blame the downturn. They won't reward what you do this year in 2 years time after the recovery....and you sound like you'll be straight out of the door once there's more jobs on the market anyway.

Edited by Happy Face

Theres nowt wrong with working your knackers off for a very good company that rewards such staff with promotion and big bucks.

Doing it for a shit firm is daft.

A good firm breeds hard workers who will go the extra mile, however it sounds as though your firm is take take take, hence the crap management and absenteism.

You only walk these shores for a short time so dont piss your life away with work related shit or stress.

Get out.....NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spot on

I liked to think I work hard wherever I am. I grafted for a small company and got looked after with decent money, decent bonus and a good work / life balance. Then something shit called the credit crunch happend.

"No one's yet explained to me exactly what's so great about slaving 50 years away on something that you hate, about meekly shuffling down the path of medicority. Well, if that's your road then take it but it's not the road for me."

FWIW I recently found myself in a pretty crap job situation. For the last year or so I've been applying elsewhere for jobs I thought I was more than qualified for but wasn't even getting to the interview stage. A few weeks ago I got fed up, handed in my notice and got myself sorted for a trip to Australia. I have a couple of weeks left at work then a couple of months in the UK before I go. No mortgage, no wife, no kids - nothing to hold me back. I can't remember when I last felt this happy.

Edited by Walliver

"No one's yet explained to me exactly what's so great about slaving 50 years away on something that you hate, about meekly shuffling down the path of medicority. Well, if that's your road then take it but it's not the road for me."

FWIW I recently found myself in a pretty crap job situation. For the last year or so I've been applying elsewhere for jobs I thought I was more than qualified for but wasn't even getting to the interview stage. A few weeks ago I got fed up, handed in my notice and got myself sorted for a trip to Australia. I have a couple of weeks left at work then a couple of months in the UK before I go. No mortgage, no wife, no kids - nothing to hold me back. I can't remember when I last felt this happy.

Walliver, if you're in Sydney and in need of a beer let me know.

Work for a small company and get treated well, work for a large company and be treated like shit... seems to be that way for me anyway!

What ever you decide to do my advice would be to join a union. They will offer you all sorts of advice and make sure that if you refuse to do something that you wont get in the shit for it, and will help you with how to word things so as not to land yourself in trouble.

Alternatively they might tell you that the company is in the right (unlikely in this case) and then at least you know not to kick up a fuss.

I'm in the union at my work and they have helped me out with a lot of stuff!!!

Edited by ajax_andy

Just work your core hours and only do extra on an exceptional basis. Go and see you current boss and tell him that the extra stuff he gave you isn't getting done unless someone picks up the slack on your other stuff, cos you're already more than pulling your weight. He's dumped it on you coss he knows you won't say no. So start saying no or it'll continue to happen.

If they aren't paying you the extra hours, then why are you doing them? :D

Its sort of expected a certain amount to help business needs. But what these are expecting are too much. Especially when its down to bad management and bad organisation on other peoples part.

Ok, from another perspective. I was like many in that I had to let people go last year. Coming into this year as work increased I have had to try and get more out of the people I have. However, I would not ask someone to work past their hours unpaid. I have had some people offer to work longer and instead Ive then let them finish early on a friday for example.

To me, its times like these when you see who wants to work for the business and is interested in the companies interests, and who is just there to get paid and do as little as possible.

We had one of the latter as well. He left last month.

From your point, I would say sure do "some" extra work hours but you can do as little or as much as is convenient to you. So if you stay an extra hour a couple of times a week, make sure they know. If they ask why the work isnt complete you can say you worked extra hours to try and get it done but there simply wasnt enough time etc.

They "should" then get someone to help you with the task or allow more time.

If they are any kind of company though they should be well aware who is doing the work and who isnt.

Ok, from another perspective. I was like many in that I had to let people go last year. Coming into this year as work increased I have had to try and get more out of the people I have. However, I would not ask someone to work past their hours unpaid. I have had some people offer to work longer and instead Ive then let them finish early on a friday for example.

To me, its times like these when you see who wants to work for the business and is interested in the companies interests, and who is just there to get paid and do as little as possible.

We had one of the latter as well. He left last month.

From your point, I would say sure do "some" extra work hours but you can do as little or as much as is convenient to you. So if you stay an extra hour a couple of times a week, make sure they know. If they ask why the work isnt complete you can say you worked extra hours to try and get it done but there simply wasnt enough time etc.

They "should" then get someone to help you with the task or allow more time.

If they are any kind of company though they should be well aware who is doing the work and who isnt.

Aye JawD, thats where its failing. ZERO flexiability or appreciation from them. I worked in small company and we had a very tight programme to hit. We did it but it meant OT. So, I did it and as a thank you the gaffers not only thanked us verbally, but we could have a week or so of leaving early, as long as our work wasnt effected. I.e, nothing was sent late etc. That DOESNT happen here.