Trends and ways of posters on here

Guest Tuco Ramirez

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying it is you daft shite, I'm saying how brilliant Tamla Motown was.

Black singers piss me off ?

For fucks sake Leazes, the way someone sings has fuck all to do with the colour of their skin. A white girl from Barnett could sound like a Tamla Motown track.

but they didn't !!!! Based in Detroit, founded by Berry Gordy Jnr. Temptations, Supremes, Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Jackson 5 etc etc......all black American singers. Holland-Dozier-Holland the main songwriters of the early years. Fantastic stuff. The only white artists during this time, so far as I know, was a group called Rare Earth, and they actually didn't really have the traditional Motown sound like the others. This is fact. What's your problem with this ?

I don't get you, you're making a fuss over nothing like the usual pc do gooder shite you see all the time.

My problem, Enoch, is that to infer that "Black singers" are the only ones who could produce that style of music is ridiculous. It's just wrong.

No if you'd said "Modern singers piss me off" I wouldn't give a shit, but you didn't. You said black singers, because you honestly think they're the only ones who could reproduce the halcyon days of Motown in it's pomp. You didn't envision, for a second, that a white singer could do likewise, because you're a bigot.

Oh, and accusing me of doing good is not an insult.

fact is, as I stated, the black Motown singers produced by far the best music on the label. Have you heard of Rare Earth ? No, you probably have not which amplifies my point. In fact they weren't very good. As I said, you're reading into something which doesn't exist, which is exactly the problem with all you pc correct idiots. Those artists produced brilliant music of a certain type which was not matched by any artist who tried to replicate it. There is fuck all wrong in saying Black singers sing soul music better than white Singers, because in my view they do. Get a life if that offends you.

If Leazes meant that some of the modern so-called R&B male singers around at the minute, (quite a few of whom appear to be dark of skin) are in fact utter shit then I'd have to agree with him to be honest. I'm not 'pissed off' by it or by the singers, but they aint as good as some of the people already mentioned, Marvin Gaye or Neo? Serious tuneless drivel that Neo kid 'sings'.

I thought some of the older rap stuff was ok at the time, 'Fight the power' by Public Enemy being an example, 'The message' by Grandmaster flash being another.

I'm not saying it is you daft shite, I'm saying how brilliant Tamla Motown was.

Black singers piss me off ?

For fucks sake Leazes, the way someone sings has fuck all to do with the colour of their skin. A white girl from Barnett could sound like a Tamla Motown track.

but they didn't !!!! Based in Detroit, founded by Berry Gordy Jnr. Temptations, Supremes, Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Jackson 5 etc etc......all black American singers. Holland-Dozier-Holland the main songwriters of the early years. Fantastic stuff. The only white artists during this time, so far as I know, was a group called Rare Earth, and they actually didn't really have the traditional Motown sound like the others. This is fact. What's your problem with this ?

I don't get you, you're making a fuss over nothing like the usual pc do gooder shite you see all the time.

My problem, Enoch, is that to infer that "Black singers" are the only ones who could produce that style of music is ridiculous. It's just wrong.

No if you'd said "Modern singers piss me off" I wouldn't give a shit, but you didn't. You said black singers, because you honestly think they're the only ones who could reproduce the halcyon days of Motown in it's pomp. You didn't envision, for a second, that a white singer could do likewise, because you're a bigot.

Oh, and accusing me of doing good is not an insult.

fact is, as I stated, the black Motown singers produced by far the best music on the label. Have you heard of Rare Earth ? No, you probably have not which amplifies my point. In fact they weren't very good. As I said, you're reading into something which doesn't exist, which is exactly the problem with all you pc correct idiots. Those artists produced brilliant music of a certain type which was not matched by any artist who tried to replicate it. There is fuck all wrong in saying Black singers sing soul music better than white Singers, because in my view they do. Get a life if that offends you.

Tbf I think where Motown is concerned LM has a point. The sound itself was copied all across the world but never matched IMO. It was a special time.

What's your view on Elvis LM? Wasn't he heavily influenced by Motown?

he was before Motown ? Woule you say he sang like a soul singer, I wouldn't. I don't particularly like Elvis or Rock and Roll, although some of his singles were quite good but in the main best records were his later ones ie In The Ghetto, Suspicious Minds. Just my opinion like.

edited for Fish being soft

4358749-cute-girl-in-glasses-sticking-her-tongue-out.jpg

not being soft KD, just I remember posting a pic of someone and being told to remove it. Not sure why you did post it like.

It's got daft this now like. I mean, I love listening to Judith Durham singing folk songs for the Seekers, would you say Aretha Franklin could sing folk music like her, or Judith Durham sing soul like Aretha Franklin ?

Mad.

he was before Motown ? Woule you say he sang like a soul singer, I wouldn't. I don't particularly like Elvis or Rock and Roll, although some of his singles were quite good but in the main best records were his later ones ie In The Ghetto, Suspicious Minds. Just my opinion like.

I've got no strong opinion or expertise really, just interested what you thought. I just remembered when he first appeared on TV a lot of people were surprised that he wasn't black.

Edited by DanTheMan

It's got daft this now like. I mean, I love listening to Judith Durham singing folk songs for the Seekers, would you say Aretha Franklin could sing folk music like her, or Judith Durham sing soul like Aretha Franklin ?

Mad.

My point, was singing Motown music well, is not, imo, dependant on the colour of your skin. I'm happy to admit you know more about Motown than me, but I do not believe a young white girl is categorically incapable of singing it well. It seems I'm the only one who thinks colour doesn't affect your ability to sing, so I'll shut up on the matter.

Edited by The Fish

don't know holden. nice sirname mind. i'm single at the moment, though i have had a rather good last couple of months with the ladies.

i do shit techno alex. its trance and dubstep nowadays old bean! i should post some but i'd probably get the shit ripped out of me.

Give us a pm then with some links. Trancey dubstep? Is that not just UK funky? ;

Fuck me this is getting technical.

I haven't uploaded any dubstep as yet. i'll set up a toontastic page on soundcloud when i get a minute. put some demo's up.

Oh and trance isn't gay, well at least i didn't think it was. depends as always what floats your boat i guess.

Digital Hang is really nice, well executed and creates a nice mood. Reminds me of Pantha du Prince. Right up my autobahn.

The trancey thing is not my cup of herbal but that shit sells, especially with the girls apparently.

Boclite reminds me a bit of the new Actress album, i like it but i would have started it off with the low pitched synth and left that going for longer, building the track up from there.

Dhang-Reminds me of early Sakamoto and has the ambient trailing mix is good.

Virustrance- Is a very Pet Shop boys bassline/ but then the hi energy/ravey ATB style lead synth/...Think the intro is better than the song. (You want to be adding a bit more atmosphere to it...Something more indecipherable in the background. Ditch that very makeweight and identifyable lead synth for a treated synth wind instrument of some kind.

Boclite - has the making of a classic with the flanged synth drum and the roaming synth pads...

What DAW and software do you use?

Thanks enjoyable.

ableton live. ta.

Mad.

My point, was singing Motown music well, is not, imo, dependant on the colour of your skin. I'm happy to admit you know more about Motown than me, but I do not believe a young white girl is categorically incapable of singing it well. It seems I'm the only one who thinks colour doesn't affect your ability to sing, so I'll shut up on the matter.

I just think, like most PC orientated rubbish, you are making something out of nothing, and basically people can do without this sort of crap.

I've got no strong opinion or expertise really, just interested what you thought. I just remembered when he first appeared on TV a lot of people were surprised that he wasn't black.

I'm not sure. It's not that easy to categorise. Helen Shapiro had a fantastic voice too, but I can't honestly say that any white female singer sounds to me like a black female singer or vice versa. To me, they have a different depth and sing differently. I'm struggling to think of any white singer singing soul music, male or female, that I think sounds like a black singer singing soul music. Diana Ross and the Supremes is so obviously a female black singing group and nobody else could match them. It's obvious to me anyway.

Having said that, there are a few Northern Soul records by white singers that sound like they could be black singers to me, but not many. I actually posted one on the youtube thread months ago.

I don't think that colour affects your ability to sing but I do think that colour seems to affect your ability to sing in certain styles. In the case of blacks because they opted for a certain style like Motown or blues . This may be an over generalization as there are exceptions to everything, but is a fair rule of thumb.

I don't think that colour affects your ability to sing but I do think that colour seems to affect your ability to sing in certain styles. In the case of blacks because they opted for a certain style like Motown or blues . This may be an over generalization as there are exceptions to everything, but is a fair rule of thumb.

in fact, there is a song I heard years ago that I though was Stevie Wonder and it turned out to be a white bloke. This is probably the only exception I can think of, ever.

Black people do have a different tone to their voice and there are always going to be some white people that sound black and some black that sound white, just as there are some men sound like women and some women sound like men when they sing.

It has nothing to do with the colour of their skin, but the physical structure of their body, nasal passage, throat etc... i.e. if you paint a black (I mean real african like black) man white, he won't look like a normal white person. The physical proportions are different which is why Lenny Henry had to add a prosthetic nose in that crap film to make his nose more pointy and white-like. Nostril size, mouth size, tounge shape etc... all contribute to tone of voice and in general you can tell a persons colour by hearing them sing. Black men usually have a powerful, round, warm tone where white men have a thinner, sharper and less powerful tone. You usually find that a big round warm tone on a white man comes from an unusually large framed bloke, larger head e.g. Meatloaf.

It's not racist to make a distinction between a black singer and a white singer...it's no different to distinguishing between short, tall, male, female etc...

That's my view anyhoo

It's not racist to make a distinction between a black singer and a white singer...it's no different to distinguishing between short, tall, male, female etc...

I think broadly speaking there can be "divisions" of musical taste which at first glance can appear racist - as someone who pretty much exclusively likes guitar based music, there are very few black artists in my collection. I don't in anyway feel I have to justify that - it just reflects the tendency of the artists and fans within the genres.

I knew that LM was into stuff like Free and assumed he had similar states to mine albeit from an earlier time but his Motown "credentials" should put paid to any accusations of simple racism.

Cracking U-turn from Fish like. :cuppa:

How's it a U-turn, you massive shit-strring pube?

Cos you strolled in confidently calling LM a 'pathetic old man' and a 'bigot' and then later admitted you know fuck all about the subject!

Cracking U-turn from Fish like. :cuppa:

How's it a U-turn, you massive shit-strring pube?

Cos you strolled in confidently calling LM a 'pathetic old man' and a 'bigot' and then later admitted you know fuck all about the subject!

unsurprisingly you've become confused. I said that insisting that he was pissed of with Black singers, where I felt someone's skin colour is not relevant to their ability to sing one style or other, was bigoted. But when people seemed to back him up, I shrugged my shoulders and moved on. I don't believe I u-turned I just know there's no point in arguing in circles with him.

I still don't think it's right to say only black people can sing that style, but if everybody else disagrees, then fair enough.

Think it's a little lacking in class for you to stir it up again like, but there you go.

Edited by The Fish