How do you rate this transfer window?

Dr Gloom

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be interesting to see what Gudjonnson is like these days. He's wasted the last few years and barely played. At 32 and high wages he's a bit of a gamble.

Its only a loan deal. Worth the gamble imo.

Came out today that he's signed for £2 million. I didn't realise that either but he cost less than Best.

It'll be interesting to see what Gudjonnson is like these days. He's wasted the last few years and barely played. At 32 and high wages he's a bit of a gamble.

Its only a loan deal. Worth the gamble imo.

Came out today that he's signed for £2 million. I didn't realise that either but he cost less than Best.

In that case, I change my mind. Ashley wouldn't pay £2m for a 32 year old anyway.

I don't know if he's banking on Perch to fill in if Enrique gets injured but I'd have liked to see a natural LB brought in as cover.

He is.

Kadar would be a better shout to play there. He seems to like being on the ball a bit, and is actually left footed.

Couple of things;

Can we really judge this window until we've seen whether or not the players are up to the task? Campbell may be passed it, Tiote may not be anything but an angrier Smith, Barfa may not fancy the Premier League and hide on the treatment table for all we know.

Surely the way to judge our window is to compare it to our "rivals". We should be looking at Blackpool, Wigan, W.Brom, W.Ham and that lot... has our starting position plus these players taken us to a better standpoint than their starting position plus their new players?

Better than expected (because I expected to lose players) however the lack of a striker is worrying. We cannot underestimate the chance of losing Carroll for 6 months come October. If we're banking on playing BAfra off him then what? Play off Strolla ???

Prison is a very real possibility for our number 9 we should have planned for that rather than burying our heads in the sand and hoping it goes away. Add in the fact that we may not buy Bafra but simply hand him back after 24 games and were looking really light.

Better than expected (because I expected to lose players) however the lack of a striker is worrying. We cannot underestimate the chance of losing Carroll for 6 months come October. If we're banking on playing BAfra off him then what? Play off Strolla ???

Prison is a very real possibility for our number 9 we should have planned for that rather than burying our heads in the sand and hoping it goes away. Add in the fact that we may not buy Bafra but simply hand him back after 24 games and were looking really light.

I don't think he'll get jail.

Depends if he glassed him though. From what I heard he lobbed a pint glass or two at the fella from a distance but didn't hit him. With a good lawyer he could probably plead self defence (see Gerrard) or that he was just passing him the glass depending on what the footage looks like. The thing that might bode badly for him is the stuff in the press about fighting Taylor and NZog. He's got his head down for a while now and done well though. Imagine if you were a 16 year old youth player though and you came in the treatment room and see two big lads like Carroll and Taylor wrestling each other, would put you off the club like. No wonder we're struggling to produce talent of late.

Depends if he glassed him though. From what I heard he lobbed a pint glass or two at the fella from a distance but didn't hit him. With a good lawyer he could probably plead self defence (see Gerrard) or that he was just passing him the glass depending on what the footage looks like. The thing that might bode badly for him is the stuff in the press about fighting Taylor and NZog. He's got his head down for a while now and done well though. Imagine if you were a 16 year old youth player though and you came in the treatment room and see two big lads like Carroll and Taylor wrestling each other, would put you off the club like. No wonder we're struggling to produce talent of late.

:jesuswept:

Nice one Johnnie Cochran!

Well the technical term of glassing someone as I understand it is going up to them with a glass and ramming it in their face so it smashses and cuts their face up like a machete through a warm block of cheese; fucking horrible stuff like, I've seen pictures of it on telly and stuff. As far as I know (and it's just speculation) Carroll didn't do that, he just hoyed a few glasses at a lad who had been pratting about and I don't think he caught the lad. So that could be construed as self defence or even a harmless act ie passing him the glass or mucking about or something. Like I say it depends on the footage which is probably crap/none-existant (would of hit the press surely?), also the lad is meant to be a friend of Carroll's so he could get in and testify that he asked for him to chuck him a glass, would probably only cost Carroll a week or two's wages to persuade him.

Well the technical term of glassing someone as I understand it is going up to them with a glass and ramming it in their face so it smashses and cuts their face up like a machete through a warm block of cheese; fucking horrible stuff like, I've seen pictures of it on telly and stuff. As far as I know (and it's just speculation) Carroll didn't do that, he just hoyed a few glasses at a lad who had been pratting about and I don't think he caught the lad. So that could be construed as self defence or even a harmless act ie passing him the glass or mucking about or something. Like I say it depends on the footage which is probably crap/none-existant (would of hit the press surely?), also the lad is meant to be a friend of Carroll's so he could get in and testify that he asked for him to chuck him a glass, would probably only cost Carroll a week or two's wages to persuade him.

Far be it from me to question your technical accuracy, obviously.

I'm imagining the judge "so how did it cut him?"

"like a sword through cheese m'lud"

"cold or warm?"

:jesuswept:

I'm wondering which judge is getting the case as it's in Crown actually as I know someone on the North East Circuit. Is it being heard in Newcastle or have they moved it?

The kid is not a mate of Carrolls and *allegedly* turned down offers of "compensation"

I heard he kb'd 50k and wants it to go to crown, his face is meant to be a bit of a mess mind. Just think he'll get off with it even though he shouldn't like.

shit tbh.

Nothing more than the minimum attempt to stay up.

Nearly as bad as the 03/04 summer window when we fucked up qualifying for the Champions League by only signing Bowyer on a free. Freddie banked on us being in the CL and everything fell apart shortly after....

*tick tick tick tick*

shit tbh.

Nearly as bad as the 03/04 summer window when we fucked up qualifying for the Champions League by only signing Bowyer on a free. Freddie banked on us being in the CL and everything fell apart shortly after....

*tick tick tick tick*

we signed Woodgate in the January, in advance of the window and the summer budget. Speculate to accumulate and all of that. Who thinks buying such a player is a bad move, or that we shouldn't have spent money "we didn't have".

That's all I'm saying. It speaks for itself.

You know what I mean, warm cheese mangles like flesh if you ram a glass through it.

"We fondue the Defendant: not guilty"

:jesuswept: Ooof. :icon_lol:

shit tbh.

*tick tick tick tick*

we signed Woodgate in the January, in advance of the window and the summer budget. Speculate to accumulate and all of that. Who thinks buying such a player is a bad move, or that we shouldn't have spent money "we didn't have".

I'm pulling your leg Leazes. :icon_lol:

If I was expecting the worst then God knows what YOU must have been expecting! We kept hold of Enrique which I'm extremely pleased about and didn't think we'd sign a player like Ben Arfa....all while not wasting the club's money on stupidly high wage, long term contracts.

You know what I mean, warm cheese mangles like flesh if you ram a glass through it.

"We fondue the Defendant: not guilty"

:jesuswept: Ooof. :icon_lol:

shit tbh.

*tick tick tick tick*

I'm pulling your leg Leazes. :icon_lol:

If I was expecting the worst then God knows what YOU must have been expecting! We kept hold of Enrique which I'm extremely pleased about and didn't think we'd sign a player like Ben Arfa....all while not wasting the club's money on stupidly high wage, long term contracts.

I know you were.

Not all of our good signings were on "stupidly high wage, long term contracts" by the way, in fact most weren't and a lot of them did what we hoped from them.

I'm still underwhelmed by this transfer window for the same reasons. It's only the minimal attempt to stay up and that is all. If Ben Arfa is a big hit [and he looks a talented lad] why would he stay ?

We could sign Messi and Leazes would still find a way to complain and see the absolute worst in anything and everything we've done post-Shepherd era.

Decent window to be honest aside from not getting another striker in. Sounding like a broken record here but I'm very worried about our frontline once Carroll gets injured/imprisioned.