Religion

Christmas Tree

Im sure its being done to death on here but the older I get the more bizarre I find it that people can still in this day and age, believe in religeon.

With all the sex abuse stuff coming out isnt it time that mankind grows up and leaves religeon behind.

Most of us live in communities where a miniscule percentage actually attend church.

I never did really get the whole religeon thing as a young un, but as a grown up I just dont see what makes sensible people believe in a superior being.

Edited by Christmas Tree

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbf though, a lot of religions do a hell of a lot of good that is not publicised. Some members just do some nasty shit as well that is. Why is it not acceptable to weed out all of the fucked up members of religion x and let the rest be? Not sure why anyone would feel the need to just get rid of any religion so long as people found strength/support/aid in that religion. The counter arguement of course being that perhaps half of the problems caused by religion are being also aided by religion and if there was none it would in fact solve more problems then they do now. (I think..)

Some countries issues are also made by corrupt governments and not religion ofc.

Stephen Hawking and Einstein didn't believe in God and they were geet clever. That's good enough for me.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

''Try and penetrate with our limited means the secrets of nature and you will find that, behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force beyond anything that we can comprehend is my religion.''

Sinatra had it right imo

''I have respect for life in any form. I believe in nature, in the birds, the sea, the sky, in everything I can see. If these things are what you mean by God, then I believe in God. But I don't believe in a personal God to whom I look for comfort or for a natural on the next roll of the dice''

Edited by Kid Dynamite

To me being a Catholic is a bit like being a Newcastle United supporter. I don't know any different and it's just what I am. Sometimes I'm ashamed, horrified and embarrassed by it, sometimes I get comfort, joy and hope from it. I choose how closely I follow it and take the bits from it that I want to.

To each their own.

To me being a Catholic is a bit like being a Newcastle United supporter. I don't know any different and it's just what I am. Sometimes I'm ashamed, horrified and embarrassed by it, sometimes I get comfort, joy and hope from it. I choose how closely I follow it and take the bits from it that I want to.

To each their own.

But surely as a reasonably intelligent human being you understand that there is no Supreme being, pearly gates or fiery pit etc.

Yes you've being brainwashed in your youth, but surely that's no excuse now. Common sense let's children eventually see through the tooth fairy and Santa ( sorry Kevin ), so why not God.

I also don't buy the line religion teaches lots of good. There are countless good and kind people who manage to become that way without religion.

I understand why in the beginning people worshiped the sun, gold idols, volcanoes etc but just can't quite understand how it persists in modern times.

To each their own.

But surely as a reasonably intelligent human being you understand that there is no Supreme being, pearly gates or fiery pit etc.

Yes you've being brainwashed in your youth, but surely that's no excuse now. Common sense let's children eventually see through the tooth fairy and Santa ( sorry Kevin ), so why not God.

I also don't buy the line religion teaches lots of good. There are countless good and kind people who manage to become that way without religion.

I understand why in the beginning people worshiped the sun, gold idols, volcanoes etc but just can't quite understand how it persists in modern times.

Worshipping the Sun is the only thing that makes sense to me. Although I'm not sure if 'worshipping' is the right word. Sounds a bit 'tanned_David'.

To each their own.

That's pretty much how I feel.

Faith is a difficult thing to explain to those who don't have any, it's just a personal thing that it appears you either have or don't. I know that's a bit of a cop out but that's how it is.

To each their own.

I started at a Jesuit school run by Catholics from Italy, everything else is a teaparty compared to that. :icon_lol:;)

To each their own.

That's pretty much how I feel.

Faith is a difficult thing to explain to those who don't have any, it's just a personal thing that it appears you either have or don't. I know that's a bit of a cop out but that's how it is.

I'm along those lines. Ish. Yes I'm intelligent enough to know whether a God (for any religion) could exist. Thing is, any God can only be explained as much as human understanding. Much like the universe and the way it works. Scientists are constantly making things up, making rules up so that their maths work. Take Anti-Matter and Dark-Matter. Nothing more than made up rules to explain why their maths didnt work. Thing is, if I take what I would call common sense, I would say that ghosts dont exists, no God exists, Aliens from another world do exist, fortune tellers are all scams as are those who do stars etc. As it happens, much of that is what I believe anyway. But what I do know is that when I've been at my lowest point, whatever the faith is that I have has kept me going with at times a surprising outcome.

I was christened a Catholic but my views dont really fit that pigeon hole. I generally keep any belief I have to myself and find it a personal thing. I am amazed by nature almost daily, as much as Im disgusted by the human race. Perhaps everything did just happen by coincidence. I dont buy the church's version of events and Im pretty unsure about the latest science version (they call it fact, but its only fact until their next version). Maybe there is only us and no life elsewhere and maybe mice will take over the world.

Bottom line for me is religion is good on an individual level. I dont understand why because someone doesnt agree, it has to be a problem? Its only a problem in my eyes if it negatively effects another.

Edited by JawD

To each their own.

That's pretty rude CT, I get what you're trying to say, but you've just dismissed her faith as lacking in common sense and inferring that to be "reasonably intelligent" you must dismiss religion. Given that faith in an incredibly personal thing, to put it like this is fairly obnoxious iyam.

fwiw Darwin was fairly intelligent, he believed in a judeo-christian God (not sure which canon).