Beer

shackbleep

Recently got bored always buying the same beer when I went to the shops I decided to take the local supermarkets up on their 3 for £4 offers and get a different three each time.

Now I'm not talking about canned beer - tastes fucking awful IMO. Beer, and by that I mean bitters, ales, porters and decent lagers should be served in a bottle.

Best I've tried so far is this little beauty and it's definitely recommended - particularly if you like a stronger ale.

brakspear-triple.jpg

This stuff is good but it's like drinking port - your whole chest cavity warms up as it goes down:

16872.jpg

Anyone got any other recommendations?

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coopers - Australian ale, it's rudely lovely.

Been having a lot of Sierra Nevada pale ale recently too.

What else - Sam Smiths is lush, Erdinger, Leffe, Duvel, Krusovice, Vedette.

Probably loads more, but I'm canny wrecked so can't think of anymore right now. :lol:

On the real ales I always liked Waggledance, Spitfire and Hobgoblin. Not sure it will be up your alley since you said lagers served in the bottle but I really, really like Duvel. I like Erdinger Wheat beer but after two bottles I feel like blueberry lass from Charlie and The Chocolate Factory.

I have a Spitfire and Hobgoblin in the cupboard waiting for me :icon_lol:. Waggledance is on the to do list too.

Duvel comes in bottles doesn't it? :lol:

Aye it does, I thought you meant literally drink from the bottle for some reason and were opposed to transfering it to a glass first.

I have a Spitfire and Hobgoblin in the cupboard waiting for me :icon_lol:. Waggledance is on the to do list too.

Aye it does, I thought you meant literally drink from the bottle for some reason and were opposed to transfering it to a glass first.

Nah bollocks to that - it was in reference to storage rather than drinking vessel. Canned beer is 'spoiled' by the tin IMO.

Nah bollocks to that - it was in reference to storage rather than drinking vessel. Canned beer is 'spoiled' by the tin IMO.

More than likely. I'd never really given it too much thought until just now. I normally get given a few of of the "seasonal" ales around christmas. They are usually a bit rich but then again so is the food so it goes down well.

don't know if they do it in bottles but my local does half and half budvar. lovely stuff

07861c26c47688fc94288211b16dda01.jpg

Effectively a pint of mix? They do it in my Dad's local but they litterally fill half the glass with bitter and top it up with mild.

Budvar is bloody lovely mind :lol:

Available most places:

landlord-bottle1-300x200.jpg

Commercially available but 100% what real ale is about for me.

Available practically nowhere:

beers1.jpg

Manchester Marble Brewery. Best brewer in Britain tbh. Not the chocolate one btw, that tastes like shite, but the ginger one and the Lagonda (IPA) are just sheer works of art.

don't know if they do it in bottles but my local does half and half budvar. lovely stuff

07861c26c47688fc94288211b16dda01.jpg

Effectively a pint of mix? They do it in my Dad's local but they litterally fill half the glass with bitter and top it up with mild.

Budvar is bloody lovely mind :icon_lol:

aye, half dark, half regular budvar. love both, and equally as nice to drink mixed. :lol:

Incidentally shackbleep, your namesake is as worth a try as anything else out there too:

Black_Sheep_Ale.jpg

I've got larupsed many a time on that fine drop I'll have you know... :lol:

Can stick this one in the same category. Use it regularly in beef casserole but end up having to buy 2 bottles for obvious reasons. :icon_lol:

old-peculiar-the-legend.jpg

All 3 of those are regular favourites with me TS :lol:

I got a bit addicted to Champion a few years back when it was 3 bottles for £4 in Tesco. As you will know it's not really the sort of stuff to be having 4 or 5 bottles a night (7.3%)

radgiegadgie.jpg

They had this on draught in our local CAMRA emporium a few months back..... a great night was had by all :icon_lol:

I'm a big fan of honey beer like Waggldance too...Holt's Humdinger, Fuller's Honeydew and the Co op's Bumblebee ale are all highly recommended :lol:

not tried the Old Tom, but sounds like we have similar taste so I will seek it out.

Had some amazing ales when I stayed in Wasdale last month, Great Gable Brewery and Nether Wasdale Brewery - but you can't get the stuff outside of Cumbria.

not tried the Old Tom, but sounds like we have similar taste so I will seek it out.

Had some amazing ales when I stayed in Wasdale last month, Great Gable Brewery and Nether Wasdale Brewery - but you can't get the stuff outside of Cumbria.

Old Tom is available in Asda (or certainly does around my way) comes in 330ml bottles for a very good reason!

The old fella lives in Cumbria and is a bigger ale fan than me so I'm sure I'll be able to persuade him to show me these delights.. :lol:

I've been getting my weekly dosage from Morrisons for a while, they do a good offer on bottled ale. Recently I've been enjoying Thwaites Wainwright, Badger Golden Glory and Wells Banana Bread beer. All pretty nice, the Golden Glory has a peachy scent to it and the Banana Bread has a very slight banana after taste to it. I usually prefer the lighter ales myself but I did have an Everards Christmas ale a few years back that although quite heavy had a really more-ish taste, almost like drinking liquid Christmas pudding!

McEwans Champion is a good shout. I used to work at the Tyne Brewery and this was a similar drink to an exported drink called 'McEwans best scotch' which was 8% abv and was the dogs bollocks. As stated by someone else, not something you just chuck down your neck!

We used to make the old peculiar as well which isn't bad, either.