Beer

shackbleep

Is it still illegal to make your own whiskey? If so, why? You can make your own beer and wine.

Aye, in Australia it is, but it doesn't stop people from making grappa, or that moonshine shite from the former Yugoslavia. Commercially and distilled whisky is better, it has to be said.

I just always wandered why it was illegal! Thought it was only GB!

I think (not sure like) you can brew stuff but not distill your own stuff, as the latter is much stronger. I presume that's the main reason. Along with spirits being heavily dutied.

Ahh maybe thats why, I suppose because it could be strong enough to be dangerous!

Apparently it's still done on the QT quite a lot in Scotland and Ireland. Trouble is, it's canny rank imo. The reason being it hasn't been mellowed by ageing, which is why it's clear rather than gold. Mind, I actually had some poteen on Xmas Day and it was alright. Might've been down to the fact I was already well served like.

What is poteen? :icon_lol:

Potato vodka, made in Ireland, strangely enough.

:icon_lol: Sounds vile! The only Vodka Ive mildly liked is what my mate brings home from Poland.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it still illegal to make your own whiskey? If so, why? You can make your own beer and wine.

Aye, in Australia it is, but it doesn't stop people from making grappa, or that moonshine shite from the former Yugoslavia. Commercially and distilled whisky is better, it has to be said.

I think (not sure like) you can brew stuff but not distill your own stuff, as the latter is much stronger. I presume that's the main reason. Along with spirits being heavily dutied.

Ahh maybe thats why, I suppose because it could be strong enough to be dangerous!

Apparently it's still done on the QT quite a lot in Scotland and Ireland. Trouble is, it's canny rank imo. The reason being it hasn't been mellowed by ageing, which is why it's clear rather than gold. Mind, I actually had some poteen on Xmas Day and it was alright. Might've been down to the fact I was already well served like.

Poteen can be canny, haven't had any for years mind. I remember it was ridiculously strong though, something like 70% ABV?

It's legal now so it's about 40% if it's bought legitimately but this was the illegal shit that had been knocking about for years and aye, it is meant to be around that I think. You could feel the effect within less than a minute.

Btw TR, it's pronouced potch-een, so you may have heard people on about it.

Poteen can be canny, haven't had any for years mind. I remember it was ridiculously strong though, something like 70% ABV?

It's legal now so it's about 40% if it's bought legitimately but this was the illegal shit that had been knocking about for years and aye, it is meant to be around that I think. You could feel the effect within less than a minute.

No! :icon_lol:

Im not sure I'd want to try it either! I think I've had my drinking head days!

Distillation is illegal to ensure the man get's his money! They don't give a fuck if you blind yourself on hooch.

If you are caught you will have to pay the duty on the liquor you make - about £7.82 a litre, or a fine of £250, whichever is greater.

Freeze distillation is the easiest method fwiw.

Edited by trophyshy

You can get it all over tbh Leazes. Don't go to Morrison's much but Asda and the like sell it. Take it easy though :wank:

went to Morrisons today and got some Thwaites Bomber and some Directors

Still can get it (legally) at rocket fuel levels...

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4335.aspx

Used to get a fairly steady flow of that when my fella was living in Serbia, if we're talking slivovitz/rakia type stuff. Everyone seems to have a relative whose postman's cousin's neighbour makes it in buckets under the porch out in the country or whatever. Used to come in old coke or wine bottles, whatever they had to hand, for about £2 a litre. Absolutely sodding lethal too. I miss that lost winter of 2006/07. :wank:

Tonight I'll be getting drunk in the house, loads of xmas ale left

Bulmers, Becks and Guinness and a big bottle of rum

having that problem too. I say problem...

Used to get a fairly steady flow of that when my fella was living in Serbia, if we're talking slivovitz/rakia type stuff. Everyone seems to have a relative whose postman's cousin's neighbour makes it in buckets under the porch out in the country or whatever. Used to come in old coke or wine bottles, whatever they had to hand, for about £2 a litre. Absolutely sodding lethal too. I miss that lost winter of 2006/07. :rolleyes:

Aye, rakia, that's the stuff. Bad experience with it, me. 16 years ago, played in a school football team, full of Macedonians, Serbs and Turks, come the end of the year and we went to me mates place for a piss up. I've got to admit I wasn't too used to them at the time. <_<

Anyway, he was Macedonian and his father had a setup in his backyard shed and it was stuff that came in a coke bottle no less and as was/is typical as you've described. Jesus, I had to make an effort not to show my face felt like it was peeling off and my chest was caving in.

First time in years I had a bath that night because I couldn't stand up for a shower. Spew in the water but I couldn't care at the time. You live and learn, and I've learned never to drink moonshine again.

Edited by Ken

Currently got a pint of this on the go:

image21cdbottle.jpg

Good stuff :rolleyes:

Got a case of this today. Not cheap by any means, and a bit posh with its background/history, but in all honesty it is lush.

got one of these as part of a "4 for £5.50" at Morrisons.

:lol:

Currently got a pint of this on the go:

image21cdbottle.jpg

Good stuff :lol:

Got a case of this today. Not cheap by any means, and a bit posh with its background/history, but in all honesty it is lush.

got one of these as part of a "4 for £5.50" at Morrisons.

:lol:

Whoever drinks beer warm and enjoys it deserves a pair of cupped hands hard over the ears. :nah:

Are there any decent Milds easily available at shops such as morrisons etc? I went in yesterday but couldn't find any apart from twaites mild and that was in a can so didn't really fancy that!

Any recommendations?