Your christmas rituals.

Park Life

Bore off kevin,

so you shouldn't celebrate with others if you don't believe in jesus?

how very Christian

well i just find it rather ironic that people celebrate christmas the birth of christ when they don't believe in him. I'm guessing you're an atheist because if you weren't you'd get my point.

And you get up at 6am on Christmas morning because you love Jesus so much? Nothing to do with the presents?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bore off kevin,

how very Christian

well i just find it rather ironic that people celebrate christmas the birth of christ when they don't believe in him. I'm guessing you're an atheist because if you weren't you'd get my point.

I'm celebrating the day because I was indoctrinated as a youngster. Told that a man existed who could perform miracles and if I just believed in him he'd make me eternally happy.

It's difficult to shake the cult of Santa Clause.

Bore off kevin,

how very Christian

And you get up at 6am on Christmas morning because you love Jesus so much? Nothing to do with the presents?

Touché Ewerk, touché :wub:

Bore off kevin,

how very Christian

I'm celebrating the day because I was indoctrinated as a youngster. Told that a man existed who could perform miracles and if I just believed in him he'd make me eternally happy.

It's difficult to shake the cult of Santa Clause.

I just find it wrong, okay. I know it's wrong, you know it's wrong, everyone does, everyone still does it.

Usually have dinner at my mam's then gran/auntie/cousin etc join us later to exchange gifts. It'll be slightly different this year as we're probably going to the mother-in-law's for dinner, but it's just round the corner from my mam's so I can easily pop in and see the family. I'm actually quite looking forward to doing something a little different.

I just find it wrong, okay. I know it's wrong, you know it's wrong, everyone does, everyone still does it.

Better than the country running none stop 52 weeks a year...holidays are always better when they're shared, based on pagan ritual.

Bore off kevin,

how very Christian

I'm neither, i was brought up catholic, i received a good education and can't frankly put "faith" into something that has nothing to back it up, do i hope there is something after, of course i do, why would anyone hope there is litterally nothing when you die.

But to blindly follow something without questioning it i don't understand how anyone can do it, "oh yes all this happened...proof, well err nothing hard but this man apparently once had visions of etcetc!" and then added to that you have people who are supposedly "infallible" condemning "gods creations" for being different or daring to use something like contraception.

Hope when you have your first time you're only doing it to procreate etc because according to you and your faith that you follow if your not, your doing time for it in purgatory evil sinner.

Just because it's called Christmas doesn't mean it has to be for that reason.

There is a lot to be answered for in this world, scary thinking about nothing after life, nothing at all.

Hope when you have your first time you're only doing it to procreate etc because according to you and your faith that you follow if your not, your doing time for it in purgatory evil sinner.

I did do it to procreate, she was infertile, not my problem :wub:

There is a lot to be answered for in this world, scary thinking about nothing after life, nothing at all.

Bit of a tangent, but this whole interview from Friday's Maher is well worth watching.

The part your comment reminded me comes on 5 minutes.

24th is always a big night out. Was pretty dead last year like, so not sure what we'll be doing this time.

Xmas day always starts hungover but it's a lazarus-like recovery after bucks fizz and in time for the dinner. Gonna be fairly quiet this time round though as my sister will be going to take her nipper to see her fellas family morning/early afternoon. Flip side is they'll be back for the rest of the day and we have two lots of present opening and to be honest I'm more bothered about my presents going down well with him than anything else. Plus it all distracts from the wank tv in afternoon.

Will be putting in an appearence on Boxing Day night which is always heaving round here. But I'm working between xmas and new year, used to hate it but now I like being able to take my holidays when I want instead of having them forced on me when no bugger is doing anything.

Agh christmas, how i love thee :icon_lol: probably the usual, wake up at 5/6 and open my many pressies, i'm thinking of a blackberry and a load of games this year. then i just chillax in the house, head to mass around 12 then head to my grannys to get my presents then head back to mine for dinner and play with my shiznit :wub: i love christmas :icon_lol:

Gran's terrorist mates taught her how to make a makeshift bomb.

It was weird last year as it was the first year we had the baba. He was 9 months old, had no fucking clue what was going on but I still put whisky and some shortbread out for Santa (our Santa doesn't like mince pies :icon_lol:) plonked the bairn under the tree to have his photo taken in his new jarmas (traditional to have new ones for Christmas Eve) and then the next morning he played with the pretty paper :wub: Himself's parents and sister+her kids came to visit in the morning as they live a few doors away then we spent the rest of the day at my parents. Hoping this year will not involve having to work but I'm not sure yet. Ideally it'll be midnight mass and lots of family stuff :icon_lol:

One of the more alternative Christmasses I had was when I worked in Manchester and had to do nightshifts Christmas Eve and then Christmas Day night. I walked home from work Christmas morning at 7am and it was like something out of A Christmas Carol where you could see lights through the wiindows of all the houses on the way back, children opening their presents, some kids already on their new bikes in their gardens etc :icon_lol: I went home, had a couple of hours in bed then myself and the ex-husband had chicken, chips and gravy for our Christmas dinner, watched some crap film and then I went back to work. It was good fun actually :icon_lol:

Does it scare you to think about what it was like for you before you were born? What about when you wake from a deep sleep, does the time that passed when you were unconcious scare you in retrospect?

Or what about the thought of being judged on your death by a malevolent psychopath, who wants to condemn you to torture for eternity because you didn't spend every moment of every day worshipping him in the strict prescribed manner of your familial faith?

Bit of a tangent, but this whole interview from Friday's Maher is well worth watching.

The part your comment reminded me comes on 5 minutes.

Wasn't aware of that, truly a strange business. Seems like he was killed by his won men on purpose. Never a good thing being too clever. :wub:

Best Christmas I had was way back in the 90s when the Sydney Trade Union Club opened and had bands playing all night.

I was amazed last Christmas to see pubs are now allowed to open if they chose - 10pm close but it's a step no less.

Bastids still won't sell you a take away but hey ho, sit in the bar and drink the fucker.

Best Christmas I had was last year when I forgot to put anti freeze in the taxi!

Froze up about a week beforehand and didnt thaw out til new year :wub:

We have one of those Christmas streets where everyone chucks some lights up and makes the whole place very Christmassy (Gemmil translate - Tacky).

Christmas eve we always go for an Italian down by the sea and wind the kids up that thats Santa in the dark night sky and if we dont hurry up we might miss him (think they'd no better in their 20's).

Get up early to open presents off Santa, usually visit the old dear and then back home for a fabulous dinner. Afternoon sees us giving out presents to each other off each other and then a good film, drink etc etc

Aye. Our local is open over lunchtime from 12-2pm then again from 7pm.

superb!

Think just about everywhere is open on Christmas day like.

Was in a Brewer's fayre the other day and noticed they had the brass neck to charge £45 for a shitty 'four course meal' on christmas day (the first course being soup and the last one being coffee).

Aye. Our local is open over lunchtime from 12-2pm then again from 7pm.

superb!

Think just about everywhere is open on Christmas day like.

Was in a Brewer's fayre the other day and noticed they had the brass neck to charge £45 for a shitty 'four course meal' on christmas day (the first course being soup and the last one being coffee).

:wub: Thats just ridiculous.