Managers and the Positions They Used to Play

AmericanMag

While watching the match Sunday at the pub, me and some others discussed the mentality some managers have and whether or not it has to do with the positions they played during their career. Hughton for example appearing to play a bit more defensively at home because of his history as a defender v. Keegan playing more attacking football. Is this a seen as a fact or am I totally wrong? And would that explain Mourinho since he never played professionally?

I was curious what others thought.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not very well versed on any football before the year 2000, but I would think that the style of the side they played in would be more likely to dictate their managerial style. I could very well be wrong on this though.

Mancini is a massive exception to the rule.

As Hughton was an average full-back, which is why he can't buy a decent one?

Souness was a cunt of a player and cunt of manager - so sometimes nothing changes.

Edited by sammynb

As Hughton was a full-back, why can't he seem to buy a decent one?

He rates Perch which I find a bit strange.

So does Chez :(

tbf to hughton, we're looking more solid at the back than we have for some time. and against man city and everton we took the game to them so i wouldn't say his approach overall is too negative. the only thing i think he's doing that most of us would change is persisting with nolan. though with ben arfa out now, it doesn't look there are many other options.

tbf to hughton, we're looking more solid at the back than we have for some time. and against man city and everton we took the game to them so i wouldn't say his approach overall is too negative. the only thing i think he's doing that most of us would change is persisting with nolan. though with ben arfa out now, it doesn't look there are many other options.

I think that's the 'problem' though. The approach is fine away from home but probably too conservative at home against the majority of teams.

He rates Perch which I find a bit strange.

So does Chez :icon_lol:

Apart from the own goal, he wasnt that bad against Stoke and put in a decent shift against Man City and didnt pick up a yellow card :( . He has the pace to be a good full back. Tough gig playing behind Routledge.

I know you're just joking but its not that i rate him i just didnt think it was fair writing off a 1.5m right-back after being up against Nani in his premier league debut.

Positionally suspect because he has never played at a level that demands 100% concentration on this element of the game. I know nothing of his character, never heard him even speak so wont pre-judge his ability to learn.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

I think on the continent, especially Italy, they're generally defensive anyway regardless where they played during their careers.

I think on the continent, especially Italy, they're generally defensive anyway regardless where they played during their careers.

And wars.

Souness was a cunt of a player and cunt of manager - so sometimes nothing changes.

:(

JFK; "Where's Graeme Souness?"

GS; " Here"

JFK; "You're a cunt..."

Wasn't JFK a defender?

JFK; "Where's Graeme Souness?"

GS; " Here"

JFK; "You're a cunt..."

Wasn't JFK a defender?

Airport.

"Airport"?

Go on then… I'm on the stupid pills this week.

Edit ; D'oh!!

:icon_lol:

I think (like Hughton) he was a RB. Before my time like but both ex-Spurs / RoI too.

"Airport"?

Edit ; D'oh!!

I think (like Hughton) he was a RB. Before my time like but both ex-Spurs / RoI too.

Apparently also managed India and Nepal.

Rispeck Joe.

"Airport"?

Edit ; D'oh!!

Apparently also managed India and Nepal.

Rispeck Joe.

I can barely believe he managed us tbh.

Superb is a bit strong. Kinnear was a good player though.

Souness might be a cunt but he was nails. De Jong would not have been walking off the pitch after doing Ben Arfa if Souness had been in our team. In fact, I doubt if de jong would've dared todo it it if Souness had been around. Shows what a bunch of tarts we have playing for us these days.

Superb is a bit strong. Kinnear was a good player though.

Souness might be a cunt but he was nails. De Jong would not have been walking off the pitch after doing Ben Arfa if Souness had been in our team. In fact, I doubt if de jong would've dared todo it it if Souness had been around. Shows what a bunch of tarts we have playing for us these days.

yeah we should get some more cloggers, because Andy "Break your Jaw" Carroll, Kevin "Break your leg" Nolan and Joey "Stub a fucking cigarette out in your eye" Barton, just aren't violent enough.

fuck off sniffer, you bell end :(