Managers and the Positions They Used to Play

AmericanMag

IF i had to pick one player in the current squad who'd make a good manager....

...I'd pick Nolan... hands down..

Think he could just about manage to cover the Technical area for 90 minutes.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tbf to hughton, we're looking more solid at the back than we have for some time. and against man city and everton we took the game to them so i wouldn't say his approach overall is too negative. the only thing i think he's doing that most of us would change is persisting with nolan. though with ben arfa out now, it doesn't look there are many other options.

I think that's the 'problem' though. The approach is fine away from home but probably too conservative at home against the majority of teams.

That's what started the conversation tbh. Why he isn't more aggessive and attacking at home made me wonder if this was all due to the fact that he was a defender in his playing days. I do like how we seem to be passing more of the ball on the deck as opposed to the longball approach of Allardyce, Kinnear, and to an extent Shearer. It seems that the passing is only over 2/3 of the pitch with nothing in that final third.

Think he could just about manage to cover the Technical area for 90 minutes.

:(

tbf to hughton, we're looking more solid at the back than we have for some time. and against man city and everton we took the game to them so i wouldn't say his approach overall is too negative. the only thing i think he's doing that most of us would change is persisting with nolan. though with ben arfa out now, it doesn't look there are many other options.

I think that's the 'problem' though. The approach is fine away from home but probably too conservative at home against the majority of teams.

That's what started the conversation tbh. Why he isn't more aggessive and attacking at home made me wonder if this was all due to the fact that he was a defender in his playing days. I do like how we seem to be passing more of the ball on the deck as opposed to the longball approach of Allardyce, Kinnear, and to an extent Shearer. It seems that the passing is only over 2/3 of the pitch with nothing in that final third.

That's why there is more urgency and gay abandon when we go behind. The 'plan' goes out the window.

We were attacking at home last season, generally.

He plays more cautious probably because we're a promoted team, or doesn't think we have the staff to play that way(Lovenkrands use last/this season for example).

Harper?

Can't think of too many keepers that went into management , Zoff and our very own McFaul.

Edit; knew Harper had a degree, I didn't realise he's also a qualified ref!

Edited by Monkeys Fist

Superb is a bit strong. Kinnear was a good player though.

Souness might be a cunt but he was nails. De Jong would not have been walking off the pitch after doing Ben Arfa if Souness had been in our team. In fact, I doubt if de jong would've dared todo it it if Souness had been around. Shows what a bunch of tarts we have playing for us these days.

yeah we should get some more cloggers, because Andy "Break your Jaw" Carroll, Kevin "Break your leg" Nolan and Joey "Stub a fucking cigarette out in your eye" Barton, just aren't violent enough.

fuck off sniffer, you bell end :(

See, this just sums you up Fish, you bender. You know fuck all about football.

Putting Souness in with these players is absolutely absurd. Forget about him as a manager. As a player, in his day, he was one of the best midfield players around as well as being one of the hardest. These players are girls by comparison. A bit like you, you fucking tart.

You think putting a few smiley faces in and its meant to convince people on here that you know what you are on about.

You are a fucking idiot.

I doubt if anybody is thinking about you at home other than thank fucking christ he's gone. I hope I'm on me holidays when he comes back.

Souness might be a cunt but he was nails. De Jong would not have been walking off the pitch after doing Ben Arfa if Souness had been in our team. In fact, I doubt if de jong would've dared todo it it if Souness had been around. Shows what a bunch of tarts we have playing for us these days.

yeah we should get some more cloggers, because Andy "Break your Jaw" Carroll, Kevin "Break your leg" Nolan and Joey "Stub a fucking cigarette out in your eye" Barton, just aren't violent enough.

Putting Souness in with these players is absolutely absurd. Forget about him as a manager. As a player, in his day, he was one of the best midfield players around as well as being one of the hardest. These players are girls by comparison. A bit like you, you fucking tart.

You think putting a few smiley faces in and its meant to convince people on here that you know what you are on about.

You are a fucking idiot.

I doubt if anybody is thinking about you at home other than thank fucking christ he's gone. I hope I'm on me holidays when he comes back.

:( Oh yeah sniffer, I'll bow to your savant knowledge of the game. As if having a thug (regardless of his purported talent) would have stopped that tackle. You know fuck all, you're a miserable twat and you delight in misanthropy. I couldn't give a shit if the players are softer than Souness, it makes absolutely no difference to what happend, what will happen and what has happened. You're just a ridiculous buffoon.

Your point was we have nothing but tarts, when two of our players have been through criminal proceedings for violent crime and one of them broke another players legs. You're mistaking Souness' ability with that periods lax attitude towards tackling. and Even if we did have a team of Sounesses it would have made no difference, so your point is completely null.

You're a fucking mong and the we'd all be better off if you weren't.

Mind you, I like how you're all keyboard warrior though, just adds to your long list of character flaws. Now, run along and be a boring fuck somewhere else, eh?

10/10 :(

Him, Leazes and Noelie should bet sat as far away from a computer as possible. Playing dominoes.

PS: Souness was a fucking class player tho.

Edited by Geordie Lad...

Raises a point though, discounting Souness' allround ability as a footballer.

Using another example, it comes as no surprise that Arsenal's skillful youngsters are consistently targeted & beaten-up over 90 minutes since they lack a genuine midfield enforcer patrolling the engineroom and with it maintaining a semblance of order/authority - in the wake of them not replacing Viera. Roy Keane's presence - ie. the fear of a 'payback' challenge - had a similar effect for years, while Beckham etc were maturing.

Edited by Year Zero

Footballers often forget or are just to fucking dumb to realise, hard and criminal are two different things.

Big Dunc qualifies for both but our lot are puffs.

Shearer is probably the closest we've come to hard player in our recent history.

Barton/Bowyer/Woodgate/Carroll/Dyer/Bramble (fuck we've had a few) are just criminal - especially in the waste of their talents.

edit: Souness is still a cunt :(

Edited by sammynb

While sniffer's right about how good (and tough) Souness was, it's fucking ridiculous (as usual) of him to be attaching some of the blame for that challenge to our own players. As though there's any thought process beyond "I'm gonna do this cunt", if that, that goes through someone's head before they make a tackle like that. He's also used the incident to have a go at Hughton. :(

You are a fucking idiot.

:( Oh yeah sniffer, I'll bow to your savant knowledge of the game. As if having a thug (regardless of his purported talent) would have stopped that tackle. You know fuck all, you're a miserable twat and you delight in misanthropy. I couldn't give a shit if the players are softer than Souness, it makes absolutely no difference to what happend, what will happen and what has happened. You're just a ridiculous buffoon.

Your point was we have nothing but tarts, when two of our players have been through criminal proceedings for violent crime and one of them broke another players legs. You're mistaking Souness' ability with that periods lax attitude towards tackling. and Even if we did have a team of Sounesses it would have made no difference, so your point is completely null.

Mind you, I like how you're all keyboard warrior though, just adds to your long list of character flaws. Now, run along and be a boring fuck somewhere else, eh?

As I said, you know fuck all about football but you seem to want to string this out further showing your ignorance.

Clearly you never saw Souness play and you don't understand what a player like him brings to a team. We don't have any players that make a thug like de jong think twice about leg breaking tackles. FFS, its not that difficult to understand. But then, I wonder if you have ever been to a match or if you are just a tosser who gets on a forum like this and talks shite? Aye, hit the nail on the head.

I'd say you've never played the game either or you'd understand this and the difference between hard players and pissed up, glass throwing thugs in bars. Can't say I'm surprised though, as not that many benders like you play unless the attraction in the showers makes up for the snow and cold.

I've clearly touched a nerve with you. So nobody thinks about you at home and thats what pisses you off. I can't say I blame them. I bet they don't answer the phone either.

You know what? I think I'd rather be a cunt than a shirtlifter.

:omgwank:

You are a fucking idiot.

As I said, you know fuck all about football but you seem to want to string this out further showing your ignorance.

Clearly you never saw Souness play and you don't understand what a player like him brings to a team. We don't have any players that make a thug like de jong think twice about leg breaking tackles. FFS, its not that difficult to understand. But then, I wonder if you have ever been to a match or if you are just a tosser who gets on a forum like this and talks shite? Aye, hit the nail on the head.

I'd say you've never played the game either or you'd understand this and the difference between hard players and pissed up, glass throwing thugs in bars. Can't say I'm surprised though, as not that many benders like you play unless the attraction in the showers makes up for the snow and cold.

I've clearly touched a nerve with you. So nobody thinks about you at home and thats what pisses you off. I can't say I blame them. I bet they don't answer the phone either.

You know what? I think I'd rather be a cunt than a shirtlifter.

No, I've only watched clips of Souness clattering into other players and funnily enough I remember plenty of other players from that era clattering into each-other... so Souness didn't seem to have the preventative powers you attribute to him. Every team had a "hardman", didn't stop the dangerous tackles, did it? I've no doubt he was a good player, who also happened tobe a thug, but I cannot believe that you're having a go at the staff of NUFC for the tackle. It's De Jong's fault, not NUFC for not having a "hard" player. Now, off you fuck.

Oh and as for touching a nerve? :( better men have tried and failed, so shut up you clown, you're far more riled than me sunshine. :(

I've just read the opinion of some Canadian cunt has written into f365 extolling the virtues of being a dirty bastard, and I've just replied with my thoughts, and they're equally applicable to wankers like Sniffer.

I quite like a bit of a scrap. I'm an instructor in the martial art ju-jitsu and I spend large amounts of my free time travelling the length of the country to kick the brown stuff out of other people, and have the same done to me. I particuarly enjoy turning up at other people's gradings solely with the purpose of being a rent-a-thug who has the job of hitting people as hard a possible.

However, I never want to see violence on a night out, or at work, or on a football field. This is partly due to how crap footballers are at it, I find it slightly odd how shoving someone or dragging your hand across their chest can really be classified as 'violent conduct', and although disgusted by it I was a little bit impressed with the genuine violence of Ben Thatcher's elbow to Pedro Mendes a few years ago. As a Newcastle United fan I still wince at the memory of Bowyer and Dyer's handbags against Villa a few years ago. But it's really because it has no place there. I want to watch football, thankyouverymuch, not some clogger scythe down creative midfielders because they can't compete with them on a technical level. And the idea that they're supposed to be 'hard' is just ridiculous - if you're so hard why are you launching yourself at a man half your size who is trying to focus on controlling a football? From behind?

I don't play football much these days beyond the odd kickabout (mainly as I spend most of the little free time I have beating people up), but if I did and I had some arsehole Canadian go in studs up on me, I know what my response would be - we can either play football, or we can finish the game and have a fight. Which would you prefer? When De Jong hacked down Ben Arfa last week Tiote squared up to him and presumably offered similar sentiments. And De Jong shat himself, which says all you need to know about these 'hard' 'men'.