Will we still sign "BEN ARFA"?

jamie_gordon

No. Mike Ashley's just saved himself £5 million.

i would love to see him playing for us again but its the same break that alan smith had for man u....and look what happened to him! or what did'nt happen to him

Edited by jamie_gordon

i would love to see him playing for us again but its the same break that alan smith had for man u....and look what happened to him! or what did'nt happen to him

In my opinion, I think the chances are very high of us signing him. Usually when a player on loan gets an injury of this seriousness, he ends up been sent back to his own club for treatment/rehabilitation and doesn't return to the loan club. But instead of him returning to Marseille, he is recieving all his medical attention here with Newcastle, and will also go through rehab with us. Now why would we as a club go through all of this, if we then end up sending him home? If CH is still around, then I expect Ben Arfa to be an official Newcastle player in the Summer (if not agreed earlier).

In my opinion, I think the chances are very high of us signing him. Usually when a player on loan gets an injury of this seriousness, he ends up been sent back to his own club for treatment/rehabilitation and doesn't return to the loan club. But instead of him returning to Marseille, he is recieving all his medical attention here with Newcastle, and will also go through rehab with us. Now why would we as a club go through all of this, if we then end up sending him home? If CH is still around, then I expect Ben Arfa to be an official Newcastle player in the Summer (if not agreed earlier).

What he said, the treatment/physio etc.. won't be cheap so I reckon we would send him back if we had no intention of signing him.

What he said, the treatment/physio etc.. won't be cheap so I reckon we would send him back if we had no intention of signing him.

The other thing I just thought is that if you were Marseille, would you want another club to nurse YOUR £5-6mil player back to fitness if they have no intention of buying him and just ship him back to them? They would of taken he back to France if they weren't sure Newcastle would buy

Would Marseille take him back? The agreement probably means that we're paying his wages for the season and if there's any chance of him playing this season then we wouldn't send him back.

Slightly different to Smiths, more like Aaron Ramsey's. Smith dislocated his ankle aswell, that's where things get a bit more complicated. And he was pretty shit before it anyway.

Edited by StevenL

Would Marseille take him back? The agreement probably means that we're paying his wages for the season and if there's any chance of him playing this season then we wouldn't send him back.

Think i read somewhere that OM are actually paying his wages.

I wonder if there is any truth in what OM have said about the fact he wont play 25 games we cans till sign him for £5mil.

I actually think FMA will pay the 5mil otherwise why even agree a clause?

If it was this bad, and Newcastle didn't think he was worth it, trust me he'd be back on the first flight to France. Why would Newcastle waste their time (rehab will take a lot of backroom staff's time) and money? They wouldn't FACT. We know that everyone at the club thinks highly of him, and CH especially wants him permanently. CH will have gone to Mike Ashley and said that he wants him, and MA has said he can have him on loan for a season, with the option to buy if good enough. That way, we don't gun for MA if they sign him and he's another Xisco. Its a win/win situation for the club and very very canny business.

I would be suprised though if after all this, they send him back and wave goodbye (unless he can't play properly anymore)

I fully believe so now. I saw Ben Arfa being interviewed on French TV and he said he already loves Newcastle and that he enjoys England and wants to stay despite the setback. At least he was saying that to the French media and not the English media which makes me believe it more...

I hope so. he doesnt strike me as a 'one trick pony' in that he uses his pace to get past defenders. he actually has an awful lot of craft/art(call it what you will) to his game which i believe we are crying out for.

whats his contract situation like with his parent club? will he be approaching the end of his contract by the end of this season? if its down to 12 mnths then we may actually get him for less than the 5m quoted.

Watched the Everton match yesterday and he is just so good. Barry Horne was a complete prick the entire game but he did say one thing. "he looks like the best kid in primary shool, running past everyone". Id sign him for the 5m right now if there was a shred of a chance he can get back to football.

knowing our medical facilities are pretty average (bearing in mind its taken quite a while for some of our best players to come back and be not very good). i'm not entirely sure.

if however he makes a full recovery then yes. in the 2 and a bit games i saw of him, i saw a player we've been missing for some time. a genuine flair player!

• 2 weeks later...

Heading towards a Webster move, if his stay becomes permanent. This i believe was Ashley's intention [prior to Marseille imposing the 25 game appearance fee] from the get go ie. borrow him for a season, and acquire him at a price [by fronting HBA's contract buy-out] under the going rate.