How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

Give CT a break guys. He's a bloke in his forties who's trying to lose a bit of flab. He's not trying to get on the cover of Men's Fitness or do an Iron Man. And I say that as someone who's just dragged himself out of bed between night shifts to go the gym.

Give CT a break guys. He's a bloke in his forties who's trying to lose a bit of flab. He's not trying to get on the cover of Men's Fitness or do an Iron Man. And I say that as someone who's just dragged himself out of bed between night shifts to go the gym.

I do understand that, it's just that CT - and I do think he's a lovely bloke, as taxi drivers go :gay: - is so close to getting it right that a bit of gentle kicking and coercing is exactly the right approach. :D I mean he obviously knows a decent bit about nutrition, he isn't afraid to ask basic questions in the Cookery thread (and it's not like any of us were taught the basics by our mams anyway), he just needs a nudge or three in the right direction to get fit enough to help him live to a decent age - and that's what we're talking about really, not being some kind of health freak, but being perky enough to stick around for your family longer than that 41st Gateshead fella in the papers last week who noshed on pie sandwiches every night. :)

...I would suggest, anyway...

That said, a decent podcast or similar will keep me on an exercise bike for an hour plus without even realising my legs are moving. So aye, sign up to Smodcast or the Football Ramble or Vaguely Tomatoey Pasta Sauce Weekly or whatever it takes. :good:

I do understand that, it's just that CT - and I do think he's a lovely bloke, as taxi drivers go - is so close to getting it right that a bit of gentle kicking and coercing is exactly the right approach. I mean he obviously knows a decent bit about nutrition, he isn't afraid to ask basic questions in the Cookery thread (and it's not like any of us were taught the basics by our mams anyway), he just needs a nudge or three in the right direction to get fit enough to help him live to a decent age - and that's what we're talking about really, not being some kind of health freak, but being perky enough to stick around for your family longer than that 41st Gateshead fella in the papers last week who noshed on pie sandwiches every night.

...I would suggest, anyway...

Spot on :)

If you get time, perhaps you can take your dog for a decent walk every day? Like an hour or so.

Slowly build up to some harder stuff rather than spending 5 minutes on a treadmill then passing out and sacking it off.

What weight are you trying to get to CT?

I'm sure I must be hovering around the 12 stone mark as I've just finished the Xmas backlog of chocolate. Never been more than 11 stone 5 in my life though.

Up until I started taxi'ing and packed in smoking I was always around 11-7. That weight was maintained while eating crap and taking no exercise.

I therefore would like to get back to that sort of weight and I do realise that Exercise will be needed.

They weigh I feel about exercise is the way a fatty feels about eating a plain boring salad. It holds no interest or anything for me. I am sitting six feet away from a conservatory with an exercise bike and a treadmill in. They have remained dusty virtually since getting the

If I could somehow find a way into exercise that suited me, my commitments and my lifestyle, then I would be laughing.

20 mins Hiit on the bike or treadmill a day would make a massive difference, especially combined with your new diet. Just trade the bath and grolsch for a post training shower and protein shake.

Nah, jokes aside, you've got to really want it or we'll just end up having the same chat this time next year again. It's like giving up smoking - its that hard. The only difference being you're trying to get into a good habit instead of giving up a bad one.

I agree, it is like packing in smoking.

Anyway todays the day. Me and the gym equipment have already eyeballed each other and Ive told them in no uncertain terms they are going to be my bitch today.

Soon as the school runs over their getting it.

Do the HIIT. You're way less likely to get bored.

Try this on the treadmill:

5 minutes warm up just walking

Bump it up to a run (as quick as you can manage) for 30 seconds

Drop it back down to walking pace for 90 seconds

Alternate between the 30 seconds run and the 90 seconds walk until the timer's on 15 minutes, then walk for 5 or 10 minutes to cool down.

As you get fitter you can drop the walking time to 60 seconds, then ultimately increase the running time so that you're doing 60 seconds on and 60 seconds off. And you can do it for longer than 10 minutes in the middle.

You'll see an improvement in your fitness pretty quickly doing this, and the weight will drop off.

Don't shirk on the running bit - do it as fast as you can (I.e. high intensity!) and do it for 30 seconds - don't be tempted to include the speeding up and slowing down time within the 30.

Fucked but still panting.

Treadmill mat was slipping so I coulnt run.

10 mins very fast walking uphill

5 minutes fast on bike (killed me)

10 mins very fast walking uphill

5 minutes fast on bike

5 minutes slow walking wind down.

Nearly gave up after 15 minutes until I remember I had a workout playlist on the Iphone. As soon as Robin, Maurice and Barry burst into song I felt like Superman.

I can testify to the effectiveness of running in front of a telly. I remember being on holiday in Tampa and spending 2 1/2 hours on a treadmill in the hotel just because of American telly. :D

I've been playing badminton weekly but should really do more. I've cut out eating crap at lunchtime - always my worst time of day for eating as I just have too much stodge (ie tuc sandwiches, fish fingers and super noodles - don't judge me).

I can testify to the effectiveness of running in front of a telly.

I used to love where the treadmills were at my gym because they were lined up in front of a row of TVs. Come Dine With Me was always a good one for the time I'm there, as was The Chase because the questions were shown on the screen so you didn't need the sound. Unfortunately they've recently moved them so they're pointing out a window where nothing happens - rubbish. :lol:

Motivation is the key to exercise. I think losing weight and feeling good are a great motivation at first..but once that feeling becomes 'normal' you've got to try and find ways to stop yourself from going back to old ways. When I first started running I was listening to music as I ran but I found myself getting a little bit bored of it and not always having the time to update and take off music etc. So I started downloading podcasts and it's the best thing I could have done to be honest. Depends what you like, but I download Danny Baker, Fighting Talk, and World Football Phone In and these pretty much keep me going through the weekly runs.

Do any of you health buffs have any tips for putting on a bit of weight? Healthily, that is. Not by cramming a couple of big macs down the gregory on a daily basis.

Increase your intake of calories with low GI carbs (brown rice, whole grain pasta, sweet potatoes etc) and protein. Eat eggs for breakfast with some whole wheat toast or porridge. If you go to a gym carry on with a 4 or 5 day split, or if you're not at a gym start going 3 days a week with a days rest in between each workout and train the full body each time. Throw in a couple of HIIT session or a few 30-60 min walks each week to keep your cardio at a decent level.

If you want to get really into it find a basal metabolic rate calculator online which will tell you the calories you should be consuming to maintain your weight then add around 500 calories onto that to start out with and see how you progress.

If you want to be really basic about it just eat more (clean stuff like you say not too many big macs) and lift weights in the hypertrophic range (3-4 sets of 8-12 repetitions).

Do any of you health buffs have any tips for putting on a bit of weight? Healthily, that is. Not by cramming a couple of big macs down the gregory on a daily basis.

free weights all the way. you can put on some serious muscle mass by ding a very simple training plan. stick to compound lifts that work al the bug muscle groups like legs/back/chest - I'm talking deadlifts, squats, pullups, bench press, standing shoulder press, bent over rows, pull ups etc. high number of sets, low number of reps and lift as heavy weight as you can manage - 5 sets of 5 reps is a good place to start. don't worry if by set 4 or 5 you're only doing 3 or 4 reps. the key to building muscle mass is caining your muscle to fatigue.

in terms of diet for bulking up protein is king. basically, every meal has to be loaded with protein - the building blocks of life. and plenty of snacks and protein post workout

when i was bulking my diet on an average day would be

breakfast - three eggs (poached or scrambled) with wholemal toast (two rounds)

mid morning snack - yoghurt and banana

lunch - large salad with a plenty of fresh veggies and a protein source - you could have tuna, chicken, eggs etc

post workout snack - protein shake with banana and a yoghurt

dinner - grilled vegetables, baked salmon, quinoa, or a baked potato

mid evening snack - cottage cheese with pinapple, or yoghurt and mixed fruit

top tip for bulking while keeping the fat down is no carbs after 5pm! loading up our calories and protein is one thing, but you don't want to be munching on pasta, bread or rice later in the day. if you're training loads and lackign energy levels then by all means chalk up bread and pasta, but try to keep it wholemeal when you can and eat it early on in the day so you have plenty of time to burn it off. peanut butter sandwiches before bed seem like a great idea at the time but are the last thing your body needs.

hope that helps

Thanks Howay. I don't currently go to the gym - In fact, the only exercise I do get is playing 5-aside on Mondays. I'm not completely opposed to going mind if that's what it's going to take.

On the food front, I love my carbs. I currently eat lots of rice, pasta, potatoes and bread. In fact, that's pretty much all I eat. What I don't do, however, is eat brown, whole grain, whole wheat, etc. It's normal pasta, white rice, white bread, etc. I know this is a stupid thing to ask as I sit here and type it, but why is this so key? On a taste front they are worlds apart :(

May as well get my stats down on the table with the rest of you. I'm currently 5ft 10 weighing in at a meagre 9 stone with a skinny frame. I can eat like a horse one week (including a horse) and my weight will barely waver. Equally, I can eat barely a thing all week and again, my weight will hardly budge. Extremely frustrating. On that front perhaps I'll check out a basal metabolic rate calculator as you've suggested.

Thanks again for the advice.

free weights all the way. you can put on some serious muscle mass by ding a very simple training plan. stick to compound lifts that work al the bug muscle groups like legs/back/chest - I'm talking deadlifts, squats, pullups, bench press, standing shoulder press, bent over rows, pull ups etc. high number of sets, low number of reps and lift as heavy weight as you can manage - 5 sets of 5 reps is a good place to start. don't worry if by set 4 or 5 you're only doing 3 or 4 reps. the key to building muscle mass is caining your muscle to fatigue.

in terms of diet for bulking up protein is king. basically, every meal has to be loaded with protein - the building blocks of life. and plenty of snacks and protein post workout

when i was bulking my diet on an average day would be

breakfast - three eggs (poached or scrambled) with wholemal toast (two rounds)

mid morning snack - yoghurt and banana

lunch - large salad with a plenty of fresh veggies and a protein source - you could have tuna, chicken, eggs etc

post workout snack - protein shake with banana and a yoghurt

dinner - grilled vegetables, baked salmon, quinoa, or a baked potato

mid evening snack - cottage cheese with pinapple, or yoghurt and mixed fruit

top tip for bulking while keeping the fat down is no carbs after 5pm! loading up our calories and protein is one thing, but you don't want to be munching on pasta, bread or rice later in the day. if you're training loads and lackign energy levels then by all means chalk up bread and pasta, but try to keep it wholemeal when you can and eat it early on in the day so you have plenty of time to burn it off. peanut butter sandwiches before bed seem like a great idea at the time but are the last thing your body needs.

hope that helps

And thanks to you as well Dr Gloom. I can see immediately some of the areas where I am going massively wrong. That meal plan is particularly useful - I can see I am going to need to make some big changes. Although I really don't think I am going to be able to eat all of that food every day :lol:

I know this is a stupid thing to ask as I sit here and type it, but why is this so key? On a taste front they are worlds apart :(

May as well get my stats down on the table with the rest of you. I'm currently 5ft 10 weighing in at a meagre 9 stone with a skinny frame. I can eat like a horse one week (including a horse) and my weight will barely waver. Equally, I can eat barely a thing all week and again, my weight will hardly budge. Extremely frustrating. On that front perhaps I'll check out a basal metabolic rate calculator as you've suggested.

Thanks again for the advice.

Gloom's post has a lot of great advice. There's no stupid questions tbh mate in answer to your questions I agree completely that white rice +pasta taste better but trust me you'll get used to the whole wheat versions, the reason to avoid the white varieties is they provide a big spike in insulin levels and your body likes to store it as fat. If you want to still eat some make sure it's only in the meal after a workout as this is when your body is extremely sensitive to insulin and the spike can help your body grow.

At 5-10 9 stone and a "i can everything and not get fat" type you sound like an ectomorph, basically look to what Gloom wrote you need to eat ALOT to grow. Look for a bloke called Dr John Beradi he's a top nutritionist and his stuff is pretty much gospel especially for ecto's, think of what Gloom wrote as 3 square meals with 3 snacks I'd shoot for 6-8 meals a day (depending on how long you're awake). The cottage cheese Gloom mentioned as your last meal is to get some casein protein down which your body takes a long time to break down which provides constant protein throughout the night. it's tough going at first and you're basically shoving the food down (eat quickly and your body wont feel full) but it will get better. Since you're an ecto I'd shoot for 3,000 - 3,500 calories a day to start with and as you put on weight increase your intake, its nigh on doubling your basal metabolic rate but it'll shock your body. Try and get a good 4-5 liters of water daily as well (again it seems alot but if you put down a big glass with each of the meals you'll not be much off).

Don't worry if you're not able to get that level of food down daily just shoot to be eating every 2-3 hours and eventually your stomach will increase in size making it easier.

Like Gloom's mentioned stick to compound lifts, since you're not into the gym that much I'd start out 3 times a week with a Push/Pull and Legs split (so basically back and chest one workout then legs next workout and alternate between the two), after 4-6 weeks you may feel more into going to the gym and start enjoying it if so then start to increase to maybe 4 days then eventually 5 days a week and work in more assistance lifts with the compound movements (i.e dumbell flyes and tricep pull downs) .