How tall are you and what weight are you, Sugartits?

Guest WDP

Think once I've done a bit of reading up on the whole 5:2 thing and calorie counting I might try that from next week. As with my back being fucked I obviously can't exercise so anything to help maintain a better lifestyle for me can't be a bad thing. :up:

Think once I've done a bit of reading up on the whole 5:2 thing and calorie counting I might try that from next week. As with my back being fucked I obviously can't exercise so anything to help maintain a better lifestyle for me can't be a bad thing. :up:

Get the book The Fast Diet by Michael Mosley. It's only 3 quid or something on Kindle and you can read it in a day or two. The Horizon show that he did is available on torrents too.

i guess my other issue with it is, well, it just doesn't sound healthy. starving yourself i mean. i listen to my body and try to give it fuel when it needs it and stop the fuel when it's had enough. those fast days must be torture to begin with, no?

Watch the show or read the book. The evidence suggests that being in a permanently fed state is not what we're designed for and isn't particularly good for you. The impact on his blood test results following some time fasting supports this.

Not having food constantly on tap isn't really starving yourself.

Food and oxygen contribute massively to the aging process. Animal studies have shown conclusively starvation extends life. You need food to live,but it kills you. Look it up.

don't have time to look it up. perhaps you can quickly sum up how starvation extends life? i'm sure you're right as i have no expertise in this field but it sounds a contradiction in terms.

should we be spending a few hours a day holding our breath to add extend our life expectancy too?

don't have time to look it up. perhaps you can quickly sum up how starvation extends life? i'm sure you're right as i have no expertise in this field but it sounds a contradiction in terms.

should we be spending a few hours a day holding our breath to add extend our life expectancy too?

You want me to explain the oxidative stress theory of aging on a football message board, on a smart phone? :lol:

No.

Every breath you take slowly kills you. Holding your breath though won't prevent this for many, many reasons.

Also btw try not to get confused with the mumbo jumbo anti-oxidant shite nutritionists are fond of.

Edited by Renton

I agree.

My main weigh in is every Monday morning, however I do feel a little check every morning helps motivate you for the day ahead. Recording it on here also motivates me to not the post a worse weight the following week.

As for people saying this sort of weight loss is no good, I of course disagree.

Firstly, quite a few of you are young and very fit, so probably have little personal experience of losing large amounts of weight.

Secondly, to go from a very poor diet to a fairly healthy diet, keeping an eye on calories is bound to have dramatic effects.

Thirdly, IMO, the quicker it's shifted, the better I will feel, which can only help motivate me to keep it off.

In fairness my calorie in take is probably too low but that's more to do with a learning curve of finding suitable meals to eat.

Ie I had a tin of Tuna for lunch yesterday because I wasn't that hungry so didn't fancy Pasta with it, didn't fancy salad and am currently avoiding bread.

Good for you, just keep it up and of course we reserve the right to take the piss. :good:

5'9 and 11 stone 4 if you're asking. No crazy diets, no fasting or regimented gym work outs or supplements, just have one long run a week due to my long shifts, don't eat snacks much, no crisps etc, eat and drink in moderation for at least half the week but obviously enjoy the odd day where you let your hair down. Works for me.

Lost 8kg in 5 weeks. New diet and plenty of exercise and I feel great.

One tip for anyone wanting to lose weight and own an iPhone/iPad is to get a free app called myfitnesspal. Fantastic app and helped me massively.

I've tried the fasting diet everyone is talking about and I've lost a stone and a half since September. Its also meant to significantly reduce the chance of getting certain cancers. I guess I should probably stop smoking first though.

:lol: i was like that for years. a gym rat but smoked like a chimney at weekends

Without being preachy, smoking is a much bigger risk factor than diet and sedentary lifestyle combined.......

i know, and i agree. smoking is one of the most pointless and harmful vices out there. moronic really when you think so many of us still indulge in it when all the information about the damage it does is out there. my problem was i loved spliffs and when i gave them up i quickly realised that i had become addicted to tabacco and was in denial for years because i thought i just liked getting stoned.

i'm pleased to report though that i haven't smoked anything for six months now and i feel a million times better for it. the persistent smoker's cough has gone and my lung capacity has increased, meaning i can train harder.