So, when do you think Mike Ashley

LeazesMag

I fervently hope Ashley stays with us long term. He has turned this club around financially, and as soon as we start operating in the black Im have no doubt we will start to see some signs of building on what we have.

he won't.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy with the progress we are making at the moment. Spending fuck all but getting good players, a dignified manager that isn't a twat, exciting performances, a decent spirit etc etc.

I don't really think about Ashley too much these days and some of the results have been very encouraging performance and they weren't flukes - point in case a full strength Arsenal away from home- we had a plan and we stuck to it, 3 points cheers.

I can't remember the last time we had a specific ''game plan'' or anything so organized, especially as we are short staffed in the coaching department!

I'm happy with the progress we are making at the moment. Spending fuck all but getting good players, a dignified manager that isn't a twat, exciting performances, a decent spirit etc etc.

I don't really think about Ashley too much these days and some of the results have been very encouraging performance and they weren't flukes - point in case a full strength Arsenal away from home- we had a plan and we stuck to it, 3 points cheers.

I can't remember the last time we had a specific ''game plan'' or anything so organized, especially as we are short staffed in the coaching department!

And that's exactly how it should be imo.

The problem is we expect it all to blow up at some point soon or down the line when he makes either another fuckup or sells a player/players the manager wants to keep etc.

If it wasn't Ashley in charge and we knew Hughton would be backed in January and then really kick on next season in terms of spending i think we'd all be happy with the fact we are much more settled and calm as a club, have shifted alot of wasters and mercanaries and have a good team spirit etc. But Ashley needs to show something in January and next close season to prove he has any intention of moving us forward ultimately.

The problem is we expect it all to blow up at some point soon or down the line when he makes either another fuckup or sells a player/players the manager wants to keep etc.

This is not unique to Ashley though...

expand ?

expand ?

Ashley is hardly the only owner who's fucked around with his manager and sold players/brought in players the manager wanted/didn't want. Lerner at Villa and the Icelanders at West Ham are two good examples. I think we could still be rid of Ashley and in the same situation with someone else. Obviously I want Ashley gone as soon as possible, but not if it means bringing in someone just as bad or worse.

Portsmouth were desperate to be rid of the crook Gaydamak, then they brought in another crook in al-Fahim, then they brought in another crook in Al Faraj...point is, there's worse than Ashley, and as long as he keeps his head down and his mouth shut and supports Hughton in the transfer window, it's time to get over him. Nobody wants him except for loons like the Tree, but we can't go on with him being the focus of our lives as fans.

Ashley is hardly the only owner who's fucked around with his manager and sold players/brought in players the manager wanted/didn't want. Lerner at Villa and the Icelanders at West Ham are two good examples. I think we could still be rid of Ashley and in the same situation with someone else. Obviously I want Ashley gone as soon as possible, but not if it means bringing in someone just as bad or worse.

Portsmouth were desperate to be rid of the crook Gaydamak, then they brought in another crook in al-Fahim, then they brought in another crook in Al Faraj...point is, there's worse than Ashley, and as long as he keeps his head down and his mouth shut and supports Hughton in the transfer window, it's time to get over him. Nobody wants him except for loons like the Tree, but we can't go on with him being the focus of our lives as fans.

Well said.

expand ?

th_photo-554.jpg

expand ?

:lol:

Ashley gets a lot of stick, some of it deserved, but would you care to expand on how HE has fucked around managers and bought / sold players the manager didnt want.

My reccolection is that he was the detatched owner and until it all went Pete tong I dont really remember him be involved in any of the day to day sort of decisions. I dont recall Allardyce or Keegan blaming him personally for that sort of thing.

Not even sure since Keegan what actual decisions he's made that have been against the wishes of manager or players.

Seriouis question btw if your up to it.

Bear in mind this is all guesswork/speculation, because he and his cronies haven't said anything since his purchase that can be taken at face value, believed or even disproved. His whole way of doing business is that he does it his way, doesn't care who thinks or say what, and has absolutely no desire to justify or explain himself at any point. He has never let anybody or anything get in his way, he cares nothing for reputation be it his , the companies he owns or the people he employs/sacks/owns/uses

And to be fair it has worked for him - he sells tat, he has an eye for a profit, and he has made a fortune

I think he thought he couldn't fail after his success with SD, exacerbated by his success with the flotation, and revelling in his outsider maverick reputation. I think he bought Newcastle on a whim thinking whatever happened he could turn a huge profit. I dont think its in doubt that he saw a business opportunity, huge loyal fanbase, 52000 paying customers every game, with many more football shirt buying punters in waiting, but a business in his eyes being run by amateurs. He thought he could impose some real world business acumen on the club, and turn it into a much more resaleable asset whatever happened on the pitch.

My best guess is he thought he could turn Newcastle into world beaters, and sell on at a massive profit, but at the very worst we would maintain our position as a top 5 club and he would only turn a huge profit.

I have no idea why he backed Wise over Keegan, that still is unfathomable to me. Especially when you consider that Wise didn't have the guts to take over as manager, and couldn't deliver another manager for him. Even an out of work Gus Poyet turned him down, (who is fast becoming a legend amongst my Brighton supporting friends down here)

Even worse decision making followed -Joe fucking Kinnear, did that actually happen-jesus. That transfer window.

I actually think we got lucky he was in so deep, and couldn't afford to cut us loose

The clear out before last season was the only thing he has done so far that everybody expected, he the delayed appointing Hughton for an age, but since he has I can't deny the horror I expected hasn't happened. Last January's window was a pleasant surprise, albeit from a very low expectation, and likewise this summer.

If a different owner had taken over at the time Hughton was appointed, had signed/kept the same players and done some media friendly waffle he would probably being hailed as Newcastles greatest ever owner at this point. The trouble with this cunt is you have no idea what he is going to do next, what he thinking, and what if anything is his plan for the club. One thing I am certain of is that he is not a football man.

At this point I would imagine he thinks we are cast iron certainties to stay up. Ashley is well on the way to having a squad of relatively low paid, young players, with the high earners (Smith apart obviously who can only have 5 or 6 years left on his contract surely) doing their resale value no harm at the moment. The latin contingent: colo jose and spidey, new additions Tiote and Ben Arfa, and the home developed Carrol, all look to be worth excellent assets. We have a young manager whose reputation is improving exponentially. I think Ashley thinks relegation was a price well worth paying.

Where we go from here who knows? Ashleys bottom line is plainly his wallet, the question is does he think he will make more money by selling, or by milking a premiership team, with a huge fanbase over the long term. I have always thought he had is eye on the developing internet rights market as either a way to make money or a way to inflate the value of the club.

Maybe Ashley is a chancer who has just got lucky again. Fluked finding a manager who has managed to pull it all together -stumbled over Englands next striking hero, had relegation work to rid the club of overpaid underacheivers, but had the fortune to find a set of players at the right stage of their careers to bounce back, and now owns a club who are positioned to benefit hugely from the upcoming UEFA financial regulations.

I hate to admit it but I hope he is the luckiest cunt alive.

I still fully expect him to fuck us though

Bear in mind this is all guesswork/speculation, because he and his cronies haven't said anything since his purchase that can be taken at face value, believed or even disproved. His whole way of doing business is that he does it his way, doesn't care who thinks or say what, and has absolutely no desire to justify or explain himself at any point. He has never let anybody or anything get in his way, he cares nothing for reputation be it his , the companies he owns or the people he employs/sacks/owns/uses

And to be fair it has worked for him - he sells tat, he has an eye for a profit, and he has made a fortune

I think he thought he couldn't fail after his success with SD, exacerbated by his success with the flotation, and revelling in his outsider maverick reputation. I think he bought Newcastle on a whim thinking whatever happened he could turn a huge profit. I dont think its in doubt that he saw a business opportunity, huge loyal fanbase, 52000 paying customers every game, with many more football shirt buying punters in waiting, but a business in his eyes being run by amateurs. He thought he could impose some real world business acumen on the club, and turn it into a much more resaleable asset whatever happened on the pitch.

My best guess is he thought he could turn Newcastle into world beaters, and sell on at a massive profit, but at the very worst we would maintain our position as a top 5 club and he would only turn a huge profit.

I have no idea why he backed Wise over Keegan, that still is unfathomable to me. Especially when you consider that Wise didn't have the guts to take over as manager, and couldn't deliver another manager for him. Even an out of work Gus Poyet turned him down, (who is fast becoming a legend amongst my Brighton supporting friends down here)

Even worse decision making followed -Joe fucking Kinnear, did that actually happen-jesus. That transfer window.

I actually think we got lucky he was in so deep, and couldn't afford to cut us loose

The clear out before last season was the only thing he has done so far that everybody expected, he the delayed appointing Hughton for an age, but since he has I can't deny the horror I expected hasn't happened. Last January's window was a pleasant surprise, albeit from a very low expectation, and likewise this summer.

If a different owner had taken over at the time Hughton was appointed, had signed/kept the same players and done some media friendly waffle he would probably being hailed as Newcastles greatest ever owner at this point. The trouble with this cunt is you have no idea what he is going to do next, what he thinking, and what if anything is his plan for the club. One thing I am certain of is that he is not a football man.

At this point I would imagine he thinks we are cast iron certainties to stay up. Ashley is well on the way to having a squad of relatively low paid, young players, with the high earners (Smith apart obviously who can only have 5 or 6 years left on his contract surely) doing their resale value no harm at the moment. The latin contingent: colo jose and spidey, new additions Tiote and Ben Arfa, and the home developed Carrol, all look to be worth excellent assets. We have a young manager whose reputation is improving exponentially. I think Ashley thinks relegation was a price well worth paying.

Where we go from here who knows? Ashleys bottom line is plainly his wallet, the question is does he think he will make more money by selling, or by milking a premiership team, with a huge fanbase over the long term. I have always thought he had is eye on the developing internet rights market as either a way to make money or a way to inflate the value of the club.

Maybe Ashley is a chancer who has just got lucky again. Fluked finding a manager who has managed to pull it all together -stumbled over Englands next striking hero, had relegation work to rid the club of overpaid underacheivers, but had the fortune to find a set of players at the right stage of their careers to bounce back, and now owns a club who are positioned to benefit hugely from the upcoming UEFA financial regulations.

I hate to admit it but I hope he is the luckiest cunt alive.

Good post overall and the bit in bold is the bit thats really frustrating as fans, particularly as NUFC has always been a pretty open book in the past.

This and Asprillia's take are how I think. And to answer the original question about when he will sell, I think never is closer to the mark that the other options.

Ashley sees the club as one big billboard/tvc for shite direct.

This and Asprillia's take are how I think. And to answer the original question about when he will sell, I think never is closer to the mark that the other options.

I agree with that, a billboard and a revenue stream. T'internet is the next great income provider for football, with the advantage for the big clubs being the more fans willing to pay, the bigger the rewards. There will be no collective agreement sharing revenue around the premiership or through the leagues when this finally takes off. I know for sure I will be signing up for the NUFC internet tv channel, and without wanting to get too Stevie about it, apart from ManU and Liverpool who in this country would have more subscribers than us. More of us actually are more committed and loyal than the rest, all clubs have their die hards, but I actually do believe that for whatever reason supporting Newcastle stays with you, and is transmitted through the generations to a greater extent than other clubs.

I have been exiled for 30 years, I recently went to a wedding where the extended family descended from round the globe, and without exception everybody was bloody obsessed with Newcastle. Kids whose great grandparents had left generations ago where as keen as those(very few to be honest) who still lived there. Henry Winter loves to say "Newcastle on a a thursday looks like any other city on a matchday"

I think whats what Ashley is banking on

I agree with that, a billboard and a revenue stream. T'internet is the next great income provider for football, with the advantage for the big clubs being the more fans willing to pay, the bigger the rewards. There will be no collective agreement sharing revenue around the premiership or through the leagues when this finally takes off. I know for sure I will be signing up for the NUFC internet tv channel, and without wanting to get too Stevie about it, apart from ManU and Liverpool who in this country would have more subscribers than us. More of us actually are more committed and loyal than the rest, all clubs have their die hards, but I actually do believe that for whatever reason supporting Newcastle stays with you, and is transmitted through the generations to a greater extent than other clubs.

I have been exiled for 30 years, I recently went to a wedding where the extended family descended from round the globe, and without exception everybody was bloody obsessed with Newcastle. Kids whose great grandparents had left generations ago where as keen as those(very few to be honest) who still lived there. Henry Winter loves to say "Newcastle on a a thursday looks like any other city on a matchday"

I just cant see this big income that you think is out there coming.

First of all, I think it would be pretty hard for the premier league to survive if they all went their own way.

Secondly, I dont think that many would sign up for it. If its £60 per year now, what would it cost with live games???£150?? Wouldnt most just watch a stream or go the pub as we do now.

If anything I think TV revenue will start to fall when the next deal is done in 2013

Another thing that needs to be accounted for is the pure advertising exposure he is getting from the club.

Currently around the globe, with the exception of the UK, it is possible to see every premier league match on television and with streaming that market is now growing in the UK. And Sports Direct is there constantly for every game played at SJP - everywhere. Where once the signage around the ground was for a variety of sponsors, now all you see is SD and NUFC ads.

So consider that Arsenal received 100m from the Emirates Stadium for 8 years, for 120m Ashley has secured the opportunity for life. And here's the thing, I think he had every intention of renaming the stadium before he bought the club. Just look at his competitive nature with Dave Whelan and what was the JJB Stadium. SJP is an icon, Wigan's stadium is a soul-less prefab.

First of all, I think it would be pretty hard for the premier league to survive if they all went their own way.

Secondly, I dont think that many would sign up for it. If its £60 per year now, what would it cost with live games???£150?? Wouldnt most just watch a stream or go the pub as we do now.

If anything I think TV revenue will start to fall when the next deal is done in 2013

Are you talking about NUTV at £60 per year, if so I have no interest in subscribing to that whatsoever. I am talking about when your internet subscription gets you live coverage of every game, That I would buy without hesitation, I would buy that before my SkySports subscribtion without a doubt. The main reason I get Skysports is football, if I could see every Newcastle match without Skysports that is what I would get. I don't think I am alone.

This will be the next revolution in football funding, and I beleive Newcastle will be one of the biggest benificiaries. I have long thought this is what has driven Ashley

I am talking about when your internet subscription gets you live coverage of every game, That I would buy without hesitation, I would buy that before my SkySports subscribtion without a doubt. The main reason I get Skysports is football, if I could see every Newcastle match without Skysports that is what I would get. I don't think I am alone.

This will be the next revolution in football funding, and I beleive Newcastle will be one of the biggest benificiaries. I have long thought this is what has driven Ashley

Last season in Australia if your provider was iinet you had access to two live games and four replays per week as part of your package.

This season the local broadcaster, Foxsports, took those rights back and now for $80 per season you can get 4 live matches and 5 highlights matches each round.

Now considering the cheapest cable tv package is $50/month, $80 a season is sweet fuck all. So spongebob is right it's only a matter of time.

Are you talking about NUTV at £60 per year, if so I have no interest in subscribing to that whatsoever. I am talking about when your internet subscription gets you live coverage of every game, That I would buy without hesitation, I would buy that before my SkySports subscribtion without a doubt. The main reason I get Skysports is football, if I could see every Newcastle match without Skysports that is what I would get. I don't think I am alone.

Agreed but I dont think Ashley had any concept of this before buying the land for a super casino football club. Live streaming of every game via a dedicated NUFC channel would easily sell for the £150 CT is quoting. Whats more tempting? buy SKY at £39 a month (£468 pa) in order to get a handful of live NUFC games plus the rest on delayed viewing or £150pa to get them all streamed legally to your computer.Tie that in with an official matchday forum, competitions etc and you're laughing all the way to the bank.

Agreed but I dont think Ashley had any concept of this before buying the land for a super casino football club. Live streaming of every game via a dedicated NUFC channel would easily sell for the £150 CT is quoting. Whats more tempting? buy SKY at £39 a month (£468 pa) in order to get a handful of live NUFC games plus the rest on delayed viewing or £150pa to get them all streamed legally to your computer.Tie that in with an official matchday forum, competitions etc and you're laughing all the way to the bank.

It doesnt work like that though. Sky's overall package is what generates the most money for them. Mrs doesnt mond Mr having the sport cause she gets films, disney for the kids etc. Will families want to chuck that for just sports.

A purely sports standalone package could never generate the customers or money the sky bundle package has and therefore couln not afford to pay clubs the vast monies they get now.

Think howmany people in the north east alone have sky, contributing to our club. Then get rid of all the none nufc fans, the families etc etc and see what your left with.

BTW I still think it wouldnt happen due to the imbalance of money to the top clubs leading to a collapse of the leauge.