Alan Pardew - Poltroon sacked by a forrin team

Kid Dynamite

What does Pardew Deserve?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It strikes me the recruitment of Pardew reflects much of our player recruitment policy

Young(ish)

Showed early promise but with some off the field problems

Inexpensive to sign

Given a chance in the big Park and it's up to him to flourish.

And, of course, I wonder when he'll be sold on and the profits pocketed.

He's not the finished article yet, but he's doing pretty well. My main concern is hoofball, or as he calls it 'a fast brand of front-foot football'. I think we'd have another 4 or 5 points if we played on the deck a bit more.

Edited by trophyshy

It seems he has a decent relationship with Ashley, well he did get him to cough up for Cisse, which has got to be a good thing. Made a few dodgy tactical decisions and we have lost/drawn some games we should have won but overall I'm pretty pleased so far

Or the good management is making a decision that was always out of your hands look like it wasn't.

Either way, worked out for the best, so dealt with it well.

He admitted at the time that the Barton decision was out of his hands. Not sure about Nolan.

I don't necessarilly believe what he said then or now, his agenda will always be what the effect on the dressing room will be at the time. Back then he didn't want to be seen as chasing the more effective players out of town, it could have gone tits up and he'd look daft. As it's turned out well he's happy to take the credit.

That's not to say either way whether he made the decision or not, but whatever the case, he played the cards he was dealt perfectly.

Aye, that's what I meant when I said that he handled the situation perfectly. If Barton had've dug his heels in and decided to stay then Pardew was much better off having him onside rather than a pissed off Barton working against him all season.

Guest CabayeAye

New contract for Pardew. Bit apathetic about that like. Still not convinced he's the best we can do, but he's got us in a European place, so we can't complain, despite his often shocking tactics and team selections.

I don't think there are any good managers available/willing to come here, so looks like we're stuck with rapey for the long haul.

Guest CabayeAye

New contract? He still has 4.5 years on his current deal.

Hang on. Have just done some research, and I've been passed duff info by text, rendering my last post bullshit. I will have a word with my sources! :lol:

I was getting ready to come in here and lash Pards to the mast for that first half, but full credit to him for changing it at half time and making the descision that gave us bite from both wide positions. I hope to god he has a role for Hatem next year.

Do you reckon Ben Arfa will be here next year? I think if we get any sort of sensible offer in for him, he'll be off.

Well Pards has made some comments recently about this being a transitional year for Hatem and that he see's next year as the breakout year for him. I'm guessing these comments are designed to keep him at the club and give the player something to hang onto. I think we all hope he gives it at least one more season under us and gets to show his 'top game', cause he hasn't had enough pitch time this year to really get going. Pards has to make a choice next season between percentage football and allowing us to start playing a little bit more of an expansive game on the deck.

Agree with the comments about playing on the deck more, we look a good side when we do that and players like Cabaye and Tiote come into the game a lot more. We look very very average when we resort to long ball in fact probably below average.

Do you reckon Ben Arfa will be here next year? I think if we get any sort of sensible offer in for him, he'll be off.

I wouldn't be that disappointed tbh if it meant we kept our best players and even strengthened a little (LB, RW)

From HTT on N.O. (one of his longer ones). :lol:

"For me it boils down to this - we are sixth playing god awful football. What position could we achieve playing better football? Given the quality of our footballers It would be no stretch of the imagination at all to claim we could do much better.

I'd rate Pardew in the same bracket as Roeder, Big Sam and Souness. What Pardew has in his facour over those guys is that he doesn't antagonise players, the media or fans which the others, especially Allardyce and Souness, both did. The football is equally as poor as anything they served up though. Unlike that lot, however, he has a very good side at his disposal especially down the spine.

He has also benefitted from lowered expectations (at the start), fewer injuries and a weaker league around us. That and the full backing of the board too and the general support from the stands.

Tactically he is as clueless as the others and like Big Sam, sets his team-up to contain and not lose. Like Big Sam he also tries weird set-ups and odd selections. For example Barton on the left away to Stevenage. For me, playing for a draw away to Derby is the same as playing for a draw away to Brighton.

Being sixth, enjoying the talents of Ba, Colo, Krul, Tiote et al and that impressive start we had, has allowed Pardew's many failures to be almost hidden away or for my own money, forgiven and masked over, by many fans. But the more we under perform (Wolves and the mackems in two consecutive home games), the heavier the defeats (Fulham and Spurs away) and the more we drop points (all of those games for example) Pardew's tactics, team-selections, set-up, substitutions and our football in general, will come under more scrutiny and criticism.

If you were to analyse even a small sample of the overall larger poor performances, even those with "we are sixth", "look where we were 2 seasons ago" rose tinted glasses on, would summise that these poor performances are simply unnacceptable, if even for one because they are so damned avoidable.

If we carry on with this innane long ball tactics and continue to pick the likes of Ryan Taylor ahead of Ben Arfa, we will drop more points than we pick up and will keep performing in a way that will see the likes of Ba, Cisse and Cabye especially, struggle to prosper. Meanwhile, because we are not dominating in the middle and keeping possession, that rather decent back-four of ours will come under more pressure and concede even more goals. And we will slide down that table as quick as we climbed it.

Pardew needs to change his ways or we need to change our manager. Me, I'd say thank you Alan in the summer and look to upgrade him. Personally, I'd look at Martin Jol at Fulham who is used to working in a structure that scouts and identifies players for the manager. Someone with European and Premier League experience and someone who gets his teams playing football, performing to a good level and generally achieving either within their means or above as he is showing at Fulham and did at Spurs, setting the green light for Harry to GO GO GO.

If we continue to play like we do, I can see our better players becoming royally pissed off. Ba and Cisse looked forlorn figures at the weekend and Cabaye and Tiote were frustrated figures likewise. Even Colo looked uneasy simply lumping it long. I doubt Krul likes kicking it aimlessley forward too. Players will do what they are told if it brings results but when things stop working and results stop coming, players are no fools and will start questioning the tactics and instructions of their manager and coaches.

We play best when we go after sides and play with freedom. Of course we need to balance wanton abandon with some form of direction and plan but not this long ball up and at em game. It does us no favours and only benefits the opposition as id did Wolves and sunderland and others before them. After the break yesterday, we dominated and basically penned them in and could have, on another day with a better final ball and finishing, battered them. We have that in us, but with these negative tactics, containment plans and hood ball football, we are struggling and will not achieve potentially what we can. We can play better and do better and must."

Pretty much agree with that but step back from calling for Pardews head. That said Im beginning to wonder if there is much more he can do for us.

The fact that he cant seem to get this squad of players battering a few teams or even looking like we could batter them is very disappointing.

I have no doubt the wings are the root of all our problems. I can only assume that Pardew knows this and will look to address it in the summer but Im not 100% convinced he does or he will.

Maybe he knows its our weak spot and thats why we hoof it so often?

Regardless of who they are, two quality wingers would transform our team. As it is we are too slow once we get to the final third and we dont scare defenders.

Pretty much agree with that but step back from calling for Pardews head. That said Im beginning to wonder if there is much more he can do for us.

12 years in and this is a pretty strong contender for u-turn of the millenium. And unlike Leazes, I know what u-turn means. You've been jizzing in the bloke's hair since he got here man!

The fact that he cant seem to get this squad of players battering a few teams or even looking like we could batter them is very disappointing.

I have no doubt the wings are the root of all our problems. I can only assume that Pardew knows this and will look to address it in the summer but Im not 100% convinced he does or he will.

Maybe he knows its our weak spot and thats why we hoof it so often?

Regardless of who they are, two quality wingers would transform our team. As it is we are too slow once we get to the final third and we dont scare defenders.

Wow! I'm astounded at your honesty (the first 2 sentences). Thought you would have have been the prime one to dig you heels in.

Good stuff CT. :)

12 years in and this is a pretty strong contender for u-turn of the millenium. And unlike Leazes, I know what u-turn means. You've been jizzing in the bloke's hair since he got here man!

Only a fool clings to the same view regardless of events. ;)

I think a lot of fans are quite bemused how such a talented side plays so poorly.

(Also thought I saw you tonight :lol: This taller version of this........

30szojn.jpg

Was walking near Sainsburys, East Boldon. Hair was now ginger and he wasnt wearing shorts, but it was you to a tee.

Was it you? :lol:

Only a fool clings to the same view regardless of events. ;)

I think a lot of fans are quite bemused how such a talented side plays so poorly.

(Also thought I saw you tonight :lol: This taller version of this........

30szojn.jpg

Was walking near Sainsburys, East Boldon. Hair was now ginger and he wasnt wearing shorts, but it was you to a tee.

Was it you? :lol:

No you shambling fat mess, it wasn't me. I was at Sainsburys in Heaton earlier though.

Quaresma has been getting a load of stick this past couple of years, basically because everbody hyped him massively & he didn't turn out to be as good as they'd hoped.

Who's a ''proper winger'' then Christmas Tree & why?

Tom, you know I only follow Newcastle and have no idea who the current best wingers are out there. But Im talking people who can do the following things.

Receive the ball and distribute towards the penalty area first time for a forward to run on to.

Receive the ball and cross it first time for a forward to attack.

Receive a ball and race forward getting a cross into a dangerous area for a forward to attack.

Receive the ball and dribble goal wards before shooting or sliding in an inch perfect ball for a forward to tap in.

I dont know why anybody argues this point with me as these are the weak areas of our team. The closest we seem to have to this is Marveaux (injured and unproven yet) or Ben Arfa (needs to play for the rest of the season and either do or die).

Obertan is so far still a headless chicken, Taylor is just shite and Jonas while a grafter struggles to do any of the above.

This team with Ginola on the left and Nobby on the right would be awesome.